Having to lie again!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  464
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

I live abroad from my family. This summer I have been visiting them and have been in my home country for almost 6 months. This involved taking several covid tests (which were not cheap!) as well as a quarantine. Now it's time to fly back to where we normally live. 

My parents home is in one country (Country A), and borders another (Country B). We have spent almost all of our time in Country A. Our closest airport is Country B. We all have dual nationality, with passports for both Country A and B. 

To fly out from Country B, we do not need to have any Covid tests done as long as we are fully vaccinated UNLESS we have been in Country A within the previous 14 days, in which case we need more costly tests and more quarantining when we arrive.

My (unsaved) husband says that we are absolutely not spending any more money on covid tests and that we are to fly out from Country B and say nothing about having been in Country A. We have our own (free) rapid covid tests that we can do for our own knowledge and obviously act accordingly. 

My husband says if I want to sort out the tests, I can pay for it myself and I cant really afford them. My (unsaved) father agrees with my husband and thinks I would be mad to get the tests done when I can 'get away' with not getting them done.

Again, my husband is pressuring me to break the rules. It has been causing a lot of friction and I finally agreed to go along with his wishes but feel awful about it. If they dont ask us at the airport (when they probably wont), I can live with it. If they do, my husband will probably lie and I will stand there having myself-but I feel trapped! 

What would you all do. Sorry for all of the code names. Its just for my privacy. I live about 7 miles away from Country B if that makes any difference! 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

4 minutes ago, Thewhitedove said:

I live abroad from my family. This summer I have been visiting them and have been in my home country for almost 6 months. This involved taking several covid tests (which were not cheap!) as well as a quarantine. Now it's time to fly back to where we normally live. 

My parents home is in one country (Country A), and borders another (Country B). We have spent almost all of our time in Country A. Our closest airport is Country B. We all have dual nationality, with passports for both Country A and B. 

To fly out from Country B, we do not need to have any Covid tests done as long as we are fully vaccinated UNLESS we have been in Country A within the previous 14 days, in which case we need more costly tests and more quarantining when we arrive.

My (unsaved) husband says that we are absolutely not spending any more money on covid tests and that we are to fly out from Country B and say nothing about having been in Country A. We have our own (free) rapid covid tests that we can do for our own knowledge and obviously act accordingly. 

My husband says if I want to sort out the tests, I can pay for it myself and I cant really afford them. My (unsaved) father agrees with my husband and thinks I would be mad to get the tests done when I can 'get away' with not getting them done.

Again, my husband is pressuring me to break the rules. It has been causing a lot of friction and I finally agreed to go along with his wishes but feel awful about it. If they dont ask us at the airport (when they probably wont), I can live with it. If they do, my husband will probably lie and I will stand there having myself-but I feel trapped! 

What would you all do. Sorry for all of the code names. Its just for my privacy. I live about 7 miles away from Country B if that makes any difference! 

You are surrounded by many unsaved people. You are a believer in Jesus Christ? What does the Bible tell you how to handle this situation? What does the Bible say about being honest?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71
  • Days Won:  0

25 minutes ago, Thewhitedove said:

my husband will probably lie

Then tell him he is doing all the talking, if you are asked you will tell the truth.

• Well Said! 2

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,245
  • Content Per Day:  7.09
  • Days Won:  99

1 hour ago, Thewhitedove said:

Advise your husband that authorities around the world are cracking down on this very thing. Hefty fines with the possibility of criminal prosecution await those who falsify their status to receiving authorities, so your husband needs to count the cost before committing to a course of action. Is it less expensive to satisfy the law, or less expensive to violate the law? 

There is no law against offering wise counsel, sister. I'm in agreement with @Who me so therefore, it is good to inform your husband that you will speak the truth if asked. 

I write from experience, having looked after an unbeliever for many years. "Wise as serpents and harmless as doves" describes our place as counselors to our neighbor, dear sister. I know this trial is horrendous for you, so I will continue speaking to the Lord regarding what you face. :) 

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,245
  • Content Per Day:  7.09
  • Days Won:  99

I'll follow what I wrote above with this, @Thewhitedove.

It's a simple matter for authorities in nation A to verify your travel itinerary and establish your presence and activity in nation B. Authorities do indeed have access to this data so your husband is taking unnecessary risks by flouting the law. It will be less expensive to meet the requirements of the law than it would be to face a hefty fine and the possibility of criminal prosecution. 

If the truth does not persuade him, then you've done all you can do in offering your husband wise counsel. 

Thanks everyone. 

Yes I am a believer. I got saved 2 years ago. Almost everyone in my life is unsaved; my husband, parents, sibling, in-laws, colleagues etc. I have 2 Christian friends and one of them got saved after me and is a babyin Christ herself. When I am at home, surrounded by all these unsaved people, with myself not a mature Christian, it is so, so difficult to know what to do in so many situations I find myself in. I swing between ultra legalistic to considering breaking the law! This all probably sounds like such basic stuff to all of you but I am still wading through the basics. I get so much opposition for trying to live righteously from my country-people who traditionally have zero respect for the law at the best of times. Can you all pray that I can find a reasonably priced test that will deliver to my address by Thursday. I prayed all day to find such a thing and couldn't, and at that point gave up the search that has been going on for days and days. I prayed my husband would change his mind which he didn't. In which case, does God want me to break the law or potentially betray my husband? Or is He making me choose? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,894
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Sin is sin, crime is crime. If your husband asked you to cover up a murder, would you do that? This is a much lesser crime, but still a crime. If no one asks you, then I guess you haven't lied. But lying is a crime and a sin, and just because it's not about something ghastly does not take away from that.

Jesus warned his followers that following him would be costly. Following God can cost you friends and family members. https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-sword.html

You know what is right and wrong. The question is will you do what is right or wrong, whatever the cost?

Praying for you each day!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,231
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

This is not a good time to be breaking any immigration laws unless coming across the southern border of the US.. There will be no mercy if caught. I think I would just wait until I had been out of country A for 14 days.

Thanks BK111. You're right.

Other one, true. I'm not in the US though, I'm in Europe. Point still taken though!

• Thumbs Up 1

A little update. After much prayer, my husband suddenly changed his mind. We told the truth and followed all the rules. 

• Thumbs Up 2