• Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,446
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/11/1989

3 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

I don't understand the question. 

If someone in Church says " I watched the Olympics on TV" I would not raise an eyebrow. If someone in Church says " I watched Game of Throne on TV" I probably would raise an eyebrow .

By normalised I mean should watching GOT be normlised like watching the Olympics?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,446
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/11/1989

2 hours ago, Sold Out Disciples said:

Of course it should be normalized! I love my Game Of Thrones and never miss an episode. This is a no brainer question for me, because I Follow Christ and keep myself unspotted from this wicked world (Jas. 1:27).

"Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be like him.

Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he become wise in his own eyes." -- Prov. 26:4-5

Peace, Edward

I like your sarcasm :D

1 minute ago, SIC said:

If someone in Church says " I watched the Olympics on TV" I would not raise an eyebrow. If someone in Church says " I watched Game of Throne on TV" I probably would raise an eyebrow .

By normalised I mean should watching GOT be normlised like watching the Olympics?

So I shouldn't tell you I didn't watch any of the Olympics but watched all seasons of Game of Thrones and read the books.  Gotcha.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  406
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

23 hours ago, SIC said:

Should watching Game of Thrones be normalised in the Christian community?

Ask a silly question...

Not really for Christian discussion is it?

Edited by Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,331
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

4 hours ago, Josheb said:

I could take you through a tour of Southeast DC or Anacostia, or the harbor neighborhoods of Philadelphia, if you like ;). Or maybe a marathon screening of the Saw movies and comparative analysis afterwards :emot-puke-old:.  

That is true but it is not the worst humanity has to offer on screen or off. I'm not questioning whether the content is depraved and/or vile. It's simply not "in the extreme". What little I've watched of the show I would rate around 7, maybe 8, in comparison to worst case or extreme alternatives. I've seen foreign news reports of overseas wars that make GoT look tame (they don't use the same filters we do). 

I think we can agree it is not a program Christians should recommend to others or one we ourselves should feel comfortable viewing. 

I understand and appreciate the response, brother. I try not to measure the severity of any given circumstance based upon what I have personally witnessed and even endured, seeing as how some things aren't common to us all. I cloak these matters in language such as, "I've walked in dark places" and leave it at that.

Given my occupation, being that work which the Lord directed me to do, I see and hear many things devoting myself to serving the needy and desperate in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in this city where I reside. A few months ago, this city earned the "distinction" of being the most violent city in the United States. The majority of murders are committed in this area, my friend. 

No, I'm not thick-skinned despite walking in dark places. I've never grown inured to it. I lean upon a brother and share my burdens with him; he also works with desperate and needy folks, and he understands the anguish I experience whenever we lose one. I asked him, "Do you ever get used to it?" We don't, but this shouldn't prevent us from serving the Lord according to our calling. He encourages me to stand fast and keep walking... that's all we can do, as I'm sure you know.  

I cannot "un-see" what I have seen, nor forget what I have endured. However, the context of the topic is what's important: Game of Thrones is ostensibly entertainment. Is murder, rape, and violence entertainment? Certainly not as we agree. 

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Galatians 5:15-26

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.  For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish.  But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.  And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.  If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.  Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

Once you understand the difference, apply the following.

Galatians 6:7-10

Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.  For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.  And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.  Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

Another way to phrase the question. Should the actions, thoughts, words and deeds in this show be considered acceptable behavior for Christians to watch. Have I watched the show? Nope. I did catch a short blurb about the story line …. on the news one night.

There was enough information shown, and talked about that told me it was way, way too violent. As a christian, I found the images I did see, very disturbing. Perhaps because as a christian, we see this from a spiritual perspective and / or from God's perspective, not as the world sees it.

One person's response reminds me of how atheists look for excuses to deny God's demand for his creation to follow Godly morals and ethics. They are quick to say “but there is violence, rape, and murder in the bible”. Well, that is true, there is.... but scripture never condones such behavior. Scripture always shows that there were consequences that followed such actions. It NEVER paints those actions in a good light.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,331
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

3 hours ago, SIC said:

The level of depravity is beside the point here. It is depraved and that is the point.

Well said. It's a terrible thing to become so inured to evil that we look upon depravity and say, "Oh, I've seen much worse than that!" 

One murder... one assault... one unspeakable act is one too many. We're wise enough to understand that the hearts of men are filled with evil, for the Lord Himself spoke of this truth.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

8 hours ago, Duck said:

Ask a silly question...

Not really for Christian discussion is it?

Hello Duck,

It's actually a good question,first of all we have the Holy Spirit living in us,would He want to watch those shows with us?

I will Set No Worthless Thing Before My Eyes
…2I will ponder the way that is blameless—when will You come to me? I will walk in my house with integrity of heart. 3I will set no worthless thing before my eyes. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me. 4A perverse heart shall depart from me; I will know nothing of evil.…Psalm 101:2-4

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Somethings to think of when you listen or watch something ..

What would Satan use to get your attention?

Could it be that he's in the music and movie industry with subleme or balantly messages to get you hooked on violence or sex or any other wicked thing?

What is God telling us by how to protect our eyes and ears ?

Did you ever see people or kids acting out stuff they saw in  shows or songs?

Do you feel comfortable watching this show knowing it's grieving the Holy Sprit who is in you?

Ephesians 5:3 

But among you there must not be either sexual immorality, impurity of any kind, or greed, as these are not fitting for the saints. 

Ephesians 5:3 

5:3 But among you there must not be either sexual immorality, impurity of any kind, or greed, as these are not fitting for the saints.