Starise

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,079
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

People who had an inclination to certain strengths before they were saved will carry those same things over into their saved lives.

If God uses these abilities for His kingdom I don't think we can necessarily say these are spiritual gifts. A person who is a wonderful host will continue to be a wonderful host. Possibly those gifts will be redirected to something else more edifying.

If a spiritual gift is something we get AFTER we are saved clearly it's a new addition. 

When a gift is given from the Lord the intended purpose is to glorify Him and edify His people in some way. A gift is never to be directed inward. Gifts are always directed outward. When we use our gifts we are edified in the use of those gifts and often feel a sense of satisfaction and completion as a person.

Do you differentiate strictly spiritual gifts from innate abilities you have always possessed or honed? God gives us abilities yet we can take no credit for any of it.

Probably most important is what FRUITS have been produced through the use of the gifts you think the Lord has given you? What has this gift accomplished?

The bible informs us that we will one day be held accountable for how we used what was given to us. Are we productive? The first step is to recognize your gift or gifts if you haven't already.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,943
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

23 hours ago, Starise said:

Do you differentiate strictly spiritual gifts from innate abilities you have always possessed or honed? God gives us abilities yet we can take no credit for any of it.

Natural giftings don't always find expression in the body of Christ because they come with fleshly pride and carnal striving that isn't pleasing to God. However, when self is humbled and natural giftings are offered to the Lord in full submission they may well flourish under new management.

Spiritual gifts can be for a season.

A person can receive a gift of faith for some sort of service they would not otherwise undertake, and when this has been accomplished the gift has served its purpose.

Good thread, @Starise

1Pe 4:10  As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 1/27/2022 at 1:20 AM, Starise said:

Probably most important is what FRUITS have been produced through the use of the gifts you think the Lord has given you? What has this gift accomplished?

Experience creates ability. The difference between gifts earned and gifts given are based on the giver. Relationships with God make the difference. Always. We must look on the intent of the heart to judge whether we are given the gifts by God or earned them through experience. Genuine works are spiritualised. Non genuine works are short lived and expose spiritual weakness.

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Content Count:  13,079
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

2 hours ago, Prycejosh1987 said:

Non genuine works are short lived and expose spiritual weakness.

Do you care to give an example of this? Thanks.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Before Christ, I really didn't have any strengths no matter how you look at my life.  What I do have now is only because of Him.  Is everything a gift ... well, yes and no.  Yes because He has created in me a new man.  No, only for the subject of this thread as a lot of what I have been given would not be listed in any of the gifts provided in scripture.  This will be an interesting thread to watch.

• Praise God! 1

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

Innate and imparted spiritual gifts need not be distinguished.  The Chinese peasant girl with no demonstrable musical gifts became the Charles Wesley of chorus composition after being Spirit baptized (source: "Jesus in Beijing').  Jenny Moore, the young Black woman who was Spirit-baptized just prior to the unprecedented Azusa Street Revival, received the ability to play the piano, even though she had never learned!  She became the wife of Willian Seymour, the central figure of this great revival and the most spiritually effective Black man who ever lived.  When I was Spirit-baptized, I received the gift of knowledge.  For example, I would suddenly know whether the person I was communicating  with would die the next day and this intuition has never been wrong!

On the other hand, some people who are naturally psychic will find this gift transformed into a gift of the Spirit when they are saved.  Remember, God calls Jeremiah to be a prophet while he is still in his mother's womb (Jer. 1:1-10).

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.33

Great topic! Although I became a Christian when I was almost 14, it wasn't clear at that time that I had any natural gifts. Over time however I developed the ability to teach. I was teaching to audiences of 300-400 in my late 20s. I could access public speaking skills whenever I wished. God used it to help me minister to cult groups, international outreach, ministry to the poor, college ministry. It took a significant amount of study, practice and presentation experience to develop my capability.

On a separate track I received the gift of tongues at age 15. It required no development whatsoever. I can speak in tongues whenever I choose. Occasionally I have had the gift of words of knowledge. The first time I was 24. The next time I had a word of knowledge was 37. Then at 53-56 I received words of knowledge at least weekly. And then not a word for almost 4 years. I prophecies one time over 6-8 individuals. Each prophecy had about 5-8 specific factual claims that could be clearly dili rated as true within 6 months. The ones that self-reported all had high degrees of fulfillment within a month or two. But I have not operated with that gift since. Finally, I have been able to discern names of demonic spirits that are oppressing people who have asked me to pray for them. 

What little I know about gifting is that it is a function of our trusting in God's goodness and helping others access that goodness. Secondly, it work marvelously in community. God intends us to live in close community (not a common feature of church life in the US currently), strive to be in a small group that is willing to help one another develop their ability to operate spiritual gifts. Finally, after one has developed a confidence, bring these gifts to the street (out into public). I have giving specific words of knowledge to people at bars, smoke shops, coffee shops, in executive offices of Fortune 100 companies, grocery stores, prisons, and on the street. Be bold, but get some experience before diving into the deep end of the pool.

So natural gifting can be developed, and some spiritual gifts can be fine-tuned ministry-wise. While tongues, interpretation of spirits, and  teaching are always available, words of knowledge and prophecy have not been always available to me.

God's administration of gifts is beyond my understanding. But when helping others to enter into practicing spiritual gifts, helping people reflect on all the goodness God had done in their lives seems to increase their faith and open them up to being used in this spectacular way.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

On 1/26/2022 at 8:20 PM, Starise said:

People who had an inclination to certain strengths before they were saved will carry those same things over into their saved lives.

If God uses these abilities for His kingdom I don't think we can necessarily say these are spiritual gifts. A person who is a wonderful host will continue to be a wonderful host. Possibly those gifts will be redirected to something else more edifying.

If a spiritual gift is something we get AFTER we are saved clearly it's a new addition. 

When a gift is given from the Lord the intended purpose is to glorify Him and edify His people in some way. A gift is never to be directed inward. Gifts are always directed outward. When we use our gifts we are edified in the use of those gifts and often feel a sense of satisfaction and completion as a person.

The bible informs us that we will one day be held accountable for how we used what was given to us. Are we productive? The first step is to recognize your gift or gifts if you haven't already.

Im not sure but Id say the " helps".... Though Im told I am good at managing/ supervising I am the most gratified when leading & organizing behind the scenes... Could be any job/ task at my church but I work efficiently unnoticed

Ive always enjoyed working to make something out of nothing- eg: empty landscape beds into beautiful garden, blank canvas, empty rooms etc.....I like to do these things before the birds come out and no one is around

Within the Body of Christ Im happy to volunteer for anything that "helps" without any fluff( serving food, cleaning the church, decorating for functions,painting signs etc....

Yes, " helps" ministry-certainly is a GIFT from God- Praise Jesus!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  211
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,463
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/23/1966

On 1/26/2022 at 5:20 PM, Starise said:

All abilities are for Him, by Him, and through Him indeed. Great post!

Colossians 1:[12] Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
[13] Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
[14] In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
[15] Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
[16] For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
[17] And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
[18] And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
[19] For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;
[20] And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  211
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,463
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/23/1966

20 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Yes, " helps" ministry-certainly is a GIFT from God- Praise Jesus!

The greatest are the "helps", the "servers". 

Luke 22:[24] And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.
[25] And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors.
[26] But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.
[27] For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth.

• Praise God! 1