• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,522
  • Content Per Day:  2.69
  • Days Won:  1

Where’s the beef (not Arby’s)?

Beef:  2. complain.

Catherine Soanes and Angus Stevenson, eds., in Concise Oxford English Dictionary (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004).

I have a lifelong beef, that I would like to vent on just a bit, it all started with my first grab of a spoon to start feeding myself. You see, I’m a left-hander, a southpaw, I think on the right side of my brain.

My mother told me years ago, she would always grab my baby spoon from my left hand, and place it in my right hand, why? Try that today, and you are in for the food fight of your life 😊

Then comes first grade. I was assigned a tiny desk like everyone else, with a place to drop in an ink well, a curvature of the writing surface to rest and support your right arm. The teacher constantly came along and straightened out the natural curve of my left wrist when writing.

Learning the cursive alphabet with pencils as fat as a broomstick handle. So far so good, except for a tired left arm from constant unsupported dangling. Then that fateful day arrived when I found either an ink rollerball or an ink fountain pen in my left hand. Just like my mom, my teacher thought I didn’t know the left from my right and corrected it. When her back was turned, somehow that ink pen was southpaw again?

We used modern fountain pens, you know, the ones with the little black or blue plastic cartridges you would replace when dry. I believe they called the ink, permanent ink, as the side of my arm and hand was always permanently tattooed. Ballpoint pens were expensive and just became popular when I was in school.

I never minded all my writing assignments being completely smudged with ink, from dragging my hand over the fresh ink. But the teacher did, as reflected by my grades and unreadability. Go figure? But that was immediately corrected with the advent of discovering girls, in my freshman year of high school, 16 years later, joining my father in freshman year classes.

In hindsight, and to use today’s vernacular and victimhood; I was handicapped and discriminated against. I would like lots of unearned money, for the pain, shame, and non-embarrassment I endured for my 12 years of grades 1-6.

About 10% of the population is a southpaw. Many of the brightest minds and U.S. Presidents wrote with the correct hand. Including myself, with 12 years of grade school education, and 20 years of public education, coming reasonably close to a high school sheepskin.

At seventy years old, this perceived handicap and discrimination continues to this day. Try purchasing a left-handed spoon, a left-handed computer keyboard, and many other things for us 10 percenters in our right minds. I’m in awe, my computer is not smudging my writing at present, typing this lefthanded and dragging my left hand over this cyber ink?

• Haha 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  280
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,134
  • Content Per Day:  9.62
  • Days Won:  149

I can understand where you're coming from. I wasn't forced to conform to being right handed.

Our desks were just one big surface in the center. Maybe by that time things had changed some. 

The only thing that bothered me from a writing perspective was writing binders because I had to lay my arm across the middle of the notebook to write. Driving a car must be a totally different experience for a right hander. I imagine our closest comparison might be driving a car in Europe where they drive on the other side of the road and on the other side of the car.

They make left handed instruments, but I've always chosen to play the right handed versions. I once thought having a left handed violin teacher would help me to play better. It didn't.

TBH I seldom take notice that I'm a lefty. I guess after so long I have just adapted to the world the way it is.

I thought it was more than 10% which were lefty but I am likely mistaken. 

I feel I'm carrying on a heritage of some kind because my grandmother and my great grandmother were left handed. I believe I'm the only one in my family who is left handed. Both of my parents were right handed as were my siblings. 

It's just a thing like being brown eyed or blue eyed I guess? I have a cousin with both a brown and a blue eye. Now that's different.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

34 minutes ago, Starise said:

I can understand where you're coming from. I wasn't forced to conform to being right handed.

Our desks were just one big surface in the center. Maybe by that time things had changed some. 

The only thing that bothered me from a writing perspective was writing binders because I had to lay my arm across the middle of the notebook to write. Driving a car must be a totally different experience for a right hander. I imagine our closest comparison might be driving a car in Europe where they drive on the other side of the road and on the other side of the car.

They make left handed instruments, but I've always chosen to play the right handed versions. I once thought having a left handed violin teacher would help me to play better. It didn't.

TBH I seldom take notice that I'm a lefty. I guess after so long I have just adapted to the world the way it is.

I thought it was more than 10% which were lefty but I am likely mistaken. 

I feel I'm carrying on a heritage of some kind because my grandmother and my great grandmother were left handed. I believe I'm the only one in my family who is left handed. Both of my parents were right handed as were my siblings. 

It's just a thing like being brown eyed or blue eyed I guess? I have a cousin with both a brown and a blue eye. Now that's different.

I have several that I have given to God. 

6 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

I'm not getting this. Different thread?

Edit- Now I see. You gave several "beefs" to God.

Me- Do you care to share any of them?

You- No 

Edited by Starise
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  543
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,172
  • Content Per Day:  5.07
  • Days Won:  243
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

I do understand where you are coming from, my youngest daughter is a lefty . She had a really old fashioned teacher in her first class in infant school who thought she would force my daughter to use her right hand to hold the pencil .... she lalso had a mama bear to go and tell that teacher in no uncertain terms that if she ever tried it again she would be forced to use her own left hand for at least a number of weeks and would find out just how frustrating it is . I bought her left handed scissors and as she grew older left handed items throughout her school years  The only thing I did insist on her learning to do as a right handed person was use her cutlery as if you dont it makes life very awkward wen you dine out 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

16 minutes ago, Starise said:

I'm not getting this. Different thread?

Edit- Now I see. You gave several "beefs" to God.

Me- Do you care to share any of them?

You- No 

Some are personal so......no. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  250
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  4,368
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  10/04/1980

im glad i didnt grow up in that time when lefties were forced to be righties. if i remember correctly it was because ppl thought lefties were of the devil but i may be mistaken

• Thumbs Up 2

58 minutes ago, Ghostdog said:

im glad i didnt grow up in that time when lefties were forced to be righties. if i remember correctly it was because ppl thought lefties were of the devil but i may be mistaken

Some societies looked down on left handed people because they are indeed a minority. Right was associated with good and God while left was seen as evil, so that idea flourished in some areas. Other societies looked favorably on them. I believe that since Satan is often seen as opposite of good, anything that is opposite of the norm was seen as evil. We can't help how we were born though :noidea:

First Chronicles 12:2 seems to reference bowmen who were ambidextrous. When the Bible refers to left-handed people, it speaks of left-handedness as an advantage, not a weakness. While it is not as honorable as sitting at someone's right hand, sitting at the left hand is still a position of honor. What do bowmen and seating position have in common? A seating position is a PLACE while being left handed is something we are born with. I fail to make a connection to this authors reasoning?

Left-handers use the right side of the brain more. The human brain is cross-wired -- its right half controls the left side of the body and vice versa. Hence, left-handers use their right side of the brain more than right-handed people do. ... Left-handers have an advantage in some sports. ( I'm not convinced of this one). We have good athletes on both sides.

I'm not sure of this source. One study claims right handed people live longer? Great.

Left-handers typically die at age 66. The trend was seen in both men and women. Right-handed women tended to live five years longer than left-handed women. Right-handed men lived 10 years longer than left-handed men, the report said. What! Where did they come up with this one?

This one is iffy as well, but I have heard it before-

A handful of studies have found a link between left-handedness and creativity, conferred (some think) by the fact that left-handed folks constantly have to adjust to a right-handed world. Other studies found no link at all. So this one is not really resolved IMHO. It does appear that many of the most famous artist were left handed. We have had numerous left handed US presidents. 

There have been eight U.S. presidents who were left-handed including: James Garfield, Herbert Hoover, Harry Truman, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.

I don't feel as if I'm constantly adjusting to a right handed world. Using right handed things doesn't 'cross my wires' usually. I tend to think these studies sometimes make more of things than they really are.

I have noticed the difference in thinking though.

What I have found is many people find their connections in things like this, or in their nationality, or even in their personality type. One group I attended that was supposed to be those in my personality type  led me into an area of people who form their identities through these things. I can't deny some of the correlations. It seems anything that set's a person apart from others makes them feel unique.

We are ALL unique in one way or another.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

I have had a lot of things happen to me in life, personal, relationships, family et al....but I look at each of these things as times God was with me.

I also lived a very fortunate childhood, with a mom and dad who loved and cared for me, a brother and sister who I loved and annoyed and who loved and annoyed me.  I never knew the insecurity some kids grow up with

So with a good home life, and God with me through all my trials....I have no beefs, just victories,

Never a victim always a victor

Never overcome, always an overcomer

you may beat me down for a while, but I will smile through my missing teeth, stand up brush the dirt off and say "round 2"  God is with me

Edited by Riverwalker
  • Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,252
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

Haha...well oh yeah give them to God YES AMEN.. He keeps asking why I take them back. Its like I can hear Him saying "you know I am GOD right? Theres is nothing I can't do? " lol. Pffft

Side note I LOVE  Arby’s

• Thumbs Up 1