• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,974
  • Content Per Day:  2.20
  • Days Won:  2

QUESTION

ANSWE

The Message – History

The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language was created by pastor, scholar, author, and poet Eugene H. Peterson and published in segments from 1993 to 2002 by NavPress. In the first four months after its release, 100,000 copies of The New Testament in Contemporary English were printed by NavPress, and 70,000 books were sold. After that time, a legion of product offshoots flooded the bookstores, most of which are now out of print.

The Message – Translation Method

The Message is not a translation, nor can it strictly be said to be a paraphrase of the original languages of the Bible. Peterson’s goal in creating The Message, in his own words, was to “bring the New Testament to life for two different types of people: those who hadn’t read the Bible because it seemed too distant and irrelevant and those who had read the Bible so much that it had become ‘old hat’.” Pastor Peterson’s parishioners, by his own admission, “simply weren’t connecting with the real meaning of the words and the relevance of the New Testament for their own lives.” However, this contradicts what Scripture reveals about the power of the Word of God, written by the Holy Spirit and made clear to those who are His: “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12). Far from “losing its impact,” as NavPress describes traditional Bible versions, the Word of God becomes clearer and more impactful the more it is read and studied by those who seek its truth.

The Message – Pros and Cons

The original version of The Message was printed without the traditional numbered verses, making it read more like a novel. Many people found this refreshing at first, but also found it inconvenient for cross-referencing, comparison with other versions, and group Bible studies. As far as the negatives are concerned, there are numerous websites and articles devoted to the translation errors in The Message, too numerous to reiterate here. Suffice it to say that The Message has engendered more criticism for its lack of serious scholarship and outright bizarre renderings than just about any other Bible version to date. One common complaint from many who read The Message or hear it read aloud is “I didn’t recognize it as the Bible.” Other critics declare The Message to be not a paraphrase of what the Bible says, but more of a rendering of what Eugene Peterson would like it to say. In an interview with Christianity Today, Peterson described the beginning of the creative process that produced The Message: “I just kind of let go and became playful. And that was when the Sermon on the Mount started. I remember I was down in my basement study, and I did the Beatitudes in about ten minutes. And all of a sudden I realized this could work.” Aside from the impossibility of doing justice to the Sermon on the Mount in ten minutes, one wonders whether playfulness is the appropriate demeanor for those who attempt to “rightly divide the word of Truth” (2 Timothy 2:15). Awe and reverence for a holy God and His holy Word, yes. Playfulness? No.

The Message – Sample verses

John 1:1, 14 – “The Word was first, the Word present to God, God present to the Word. The Word was God, in readiness for God from day one. The Word became flesh and blood, and moved into the neighborhood. We saw the glory with our own eyes, the one-of-a-kind glory, like Father, like Son, Generous inside and out, true from start to finish.”

John 3:16 – “This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.”

John 8:58 – “Believe me,” said Jesus, “I am who I am long before Abraham was anything.”

Ephesians 2:8–9 – “Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It’s God’s gift from start to finish! We don’t play the major role. If we did, we’d probably go around bragging that we’d done the whole thing!”

Titus 2:13 – “This new life is starting right now, and is whetting our appetites for the glorious day when our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, appears.”

Source: got questions

Edited by B-B

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.46
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

13 minutes ago, B-B said:

Peterson’s goal in creating The Message, in his own words, was to “bring the New Testament to life for two different types of people: those who hadn’t read the Bible because it seemed too distant and irrelevant and those who had read the Bible so much that it had become ‘old hat’.

There is so much wrong with that. Two things.....

1. He dishonors both the Holy Spirit and His function and the Great Shepherd Himself

2. The pastor himself has the job of opening up the scriptures to the assembly through expository preaching--if you will.

Sorry--this is off topic, but that gets my goat.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,974
  • Content Per Day:  2.20
  • Days Won:  2

2 minutes ago, Alive said:

1. He dishonors both the Holy Spirit and His function and the Great Shepherd Himself

2. The pastor himself has the job of opening up the scriptures to the assembly through expository preaching--if you will.

I agree with you 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.51
  • Days Won:  12

4 hours ago, JimmyB said:

Since you're obviously extremely biased and opinionated there is no point in continuing this discussion with you.

There is nothing wrong with "The Message"; there is a lot wrong with the NKJV.

Nothing wrong with The Message?!?! :th_frusty:

Okay, now I know that you are either joking, or you don't know the first thing about The Message, or there is something very seriously wrong with your discernment.

If you have read even a small amount of The Message, and you don't realise that it's the full disaster, then I recommend you to pray earnestly to be delivered from deception.  The thing about deception, is that those who are in it, don't realise.

Here is one example of Peterson's heretical alterations to the Bible: the Lord's prayer.

Matt. 6:7-13 (The Message)

7-13 “The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They’re full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don’t fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what’s best—
    as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You’re in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You’re ablaze in beauty!
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

---If Peterson does not repent of doing this kind of deliberate despite to God's word, then he will be in very serious trouble with the Lord.

Here is a sound translation of this passage (I've used a Majority Text translation).

Matt. 6:7-13 (World English Bible)

7 In praying, don’t use vain repetitions as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their much speaking. 8 Therefore don’t be like them, for your Father knows what things you need before you ask him. 9 Pray like this:

“‘Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy.
10 Let your Kingdom come.
    Let your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 Forgive us our debts,
    as we also forgive our debtors.
13 Bring us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from the evil one.
For yours is the Kingdom, the power, and the glory forever. Amen.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.51
  • Days Won:  12

5 hours ago, Alive said:

So to be clear--the Message cannot be considered a 'translation' as it is a paraphrase. It is one of three groupings and the one reflecting the autographs (original text) the least.

As long as this is understood the conversation can continue while understanding each other.

I posted previously that The Message is a paraphrase.  A paraphrase is supposed to convey the same message as the original, but using different wording.  The Message does not do this - not remotely close; in fact, Peterson introduces error after error; and it's clear that he has not made the slightest attempt to stay faithful to the meaning of the original.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.46
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

26 minutes ago, David1701 said:

I posted previously that The Message is a paraphrase.  A paraphrase is supposed to convey the same message as the original, but using different wording.  The Message does not do this - not remotely close; in fact, Peterson introduces error after error; and it's clear that he has not made the slightest attempt to stay faithful to the meaning of the original.

I agree. I looked into it further and read some of it. It is far worse than the Living Bible, which is the one pp I am familiar with.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.14
  • Days Won:  0

23 hours ago, Alive said:

Obviously this does "get your goat", but that doesn't devalue the paraphrase.  He does not dishonor the Holy Spirit and His function and the Great Shepherd Himself.  Have you even read The Message?  It's quite well written.

19 hours ago, David1701 said:

Okay, now I know that you are either joking, or you don't know the first thing about The Message, or there is something very seriously wrong with your discernment.

If you have read even a small amount of The Message, and you don't realise that it's the full disaster, then I recommend you to pray earnestly to be delivered from deception.  The thing about deception, is that those who are in it, don't realise.

Here is one example of Peterson's heretical alterations to the Bible: the Lord's prayer.

7-13 “The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They’re full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don’t fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what’s best—
    as above, so below.
You’re in charge!
You’re ablaze in beauty!
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

---If Peterson does not repent of doing this kind of deliberate despite to God's word, then he will be in very serious trouble with the Lord.

Here is a sound translation of this passage (I've used a Majority Text translation).

7 In praying, don’t use vain repetitions as the Gentiles do; for they think that they will be heard for their much speaking. 8 Therefore don’t be like them, for your Father knows what things you need before you ask him. 9 Pray like this:

12 Forgive us our debts,

I prefer The Message to your comment on it.

19 hours ago, David1701 said:

Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what’s best—
    as above, so below.
You’re in charge!
You’re ablaze in beauty!
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

12 Forgive us our debts,

Keeping in mind that "The Message" is a paraphrase, what is wrong with this...

"Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what’s best—
    as above, so below.
You’re in charge!
You’re ablaze in beauty!
    Yes. Yes. Yes."

It's as clear, if not clearer than...

"Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

11 Give us this day our daily bread.

12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."

But this is better than both IMO...

Our Father in heaven, may your name be honored,
may your kingdom come,
   may your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we       ourselves have forgiven our debtors.
 And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. (NET Bible)

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

Obviously this does "get your goat", but that doesn't devalue the paraphrase.  He does not dishonor the Holy Spirit and His function and the Great Shepherd Himself.  Have you even read The Message?  It's quite well written.

In Romans in the message it calls our God the god of green hope. That refers to a druid god a pagan god. Green is not in the greek text. That alone tells me the message "bible" is not good.