IGNORED

Can a follower of Christ be police officer or judge? (Part 1)

Leonardo Von

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.91
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

Let’s see what the Holy Scripture says:

•    Mat 7:1,2 -> “  “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.”.

As you can see, Jesus enjoined His followers not to judge. And He added:

•    Mat 5:38-45 ->  “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.”.
•    “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.”

It’s not up to Jesus’ followers punish the evil:

•    Rom 12:19-21 -> “Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”.

But, why not? Tomorrow we will answer this question. For the nonce, have a good day mulling over this.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.17
  • Days Won:  58

John 7:24 Do not judge according to sight, but judge righteous judgment.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

When we speak of the police as being evil or bad people, who are judging people for no reason, we are in affect, speaking against scripture.  It is NOT wrong for anyone to be a police officer whether he or she is a Christian or not. 

Romans 13:1- 6 (NASB)
 1  Every person is to be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves. 3 For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same; 4 for it is a servant of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a servant of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil. 5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for the sake of conscience. 6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for rulers are servants of God, devoting themselves to this very thing.

Romans 13:1-6 (LB)
1  Obey the government, for God is the one who has put it there. There is no government anywhere that God has not placed in power. 2 So those who refuse to obey the laws of the land are refusing to obey God, and punishment will follow. 3 For the policeman does not frighten people who are doing right; but those doing evil will always fear him. So if you don’t want to be afraid, keep the laws and you will get along well. 4 The policeman is sent by God to help you. But if you are doing something wrong, of course you should be afraid, for he will have you punished. He is sent by God for that very purpose. 5 Obey the laws, then, for two reasons: first, to keep from being punished, and second, just because you know you should.  6 Pay your taxes too, for these same two reasons. For government workers need to be paid so that they can keep on doing God’s work, serving you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  280
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,179
  • Content Per Day:  9.52
  • Days Won:  149

Good police officers and Judges are much needed. I can't think of better people to fill those positions than Christians.

I know both and they are people just like you and I doing their jobs.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

In my thinking, it is hard to imagine anyone being better suited to being a judge or a police officer that a Christian! Before I became a Christian, I was studying to become a policeman. In that, I decided against it, because I did not want to be corrupted my the culture among policemen as I perceived it. In other words, I saw police as being beneath my dignity as an Atheist.

As a Christian, I think my character is strong enough to withstand the peer pressure to sink to their level, but I probably would not be very well liked for that.

If I were a policeman today, my issue might be, that I would refuse to shoot anyone (except in the defense of another human life) because I think that people who have put themselves into the position where I would be tempted to shoot, probably still need Jesus, and I refuse to take that possibility from them, whereas my spot in Heaven is secured.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,556
  • Content Per Day:  7.14
  • Days Won:  100

If I were lax in the commission of those duties which the Lord Himself charged me to carry out, what would happen? The health, safety, and well-being of those whom I serve would suffer needlessly. 

Illicit drug use? Yes.
Assaults? Yes.
Theft and destruction of shelter property? Yes. 
Confidentiality? Yes. 

Illicit drug use, something which serves to lead others who struggle with addiction to stumble and fall. Some are on probation or parole, so this would be grievous for them to suffer. 

Assaults, which so many are ashamed to report. Rest assured that I will uncover this evil, because the Lord gave me a talent to notice the little things. I know what to look for. 

Theft and destruction of shelter property, for this is a non-profit organization which exists and operates by the goodness of many donors. These accommodations are not free for the taking... they are here to be used by the homeless while they are under our care. 

Confidentiality, for whomever comes to stay with us is protected from unwanted/unwarranted discovery. Those who violate this confidentiality put the lives of all our residents at risk. Yes, there are evil men in this world who will not hesitate to prey upon the suffering which the Lord entrusts to our care. 

If I am lax or permissive in my duties, then I have shown myself to be a wicked steward unworthy of the honor my Lord and God has bestowed upon me. I investigate and uncover wrongdoing... I report wrongdoing to the appropriate authority... and in doing so, I please the Lord who commanded me to subject both my talents and life to the clients and staff of this shelter for the homeless. 

Righteous judgment, my friend. 

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,738
  • Content Per Day:  2.44
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Thats kind of a misquote of scripture. I mean God literally sent judges in the OT. In fact its impossible not to judge. Not without being a spineless coward being pushed to and fro by the wind. Just telling someone they are judging you is in and of itself a judgement.

As others have pointed out we are to judge with a righteous judgement, done in love. It should also be noted saying something is a sin isnt a judgement, its a warning of a coming judgement.

In fact americas judicial system is a prime example. In America a person is presumed innocent until proven guity. When that police officer pulls you over and hands you a ticket or you get arrested, he is not judging you. He is accusing you. There is a difference. You are, according to the law still 100% innocent up until you see the actual judge and he proclaims you guilty.

Societies dont function without law, and a way to enforce said law. And the only way that law and order can be enforced from a Godly perspective is if it is made up of people of God.

So the answer is yes...christians can indeed be cops and judges if the Lord leads them to be.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,996
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.68
  • Days Won:  226

7 hours ago, Leonardo Von said:

Let’s see what the Holy Scripture says:

•    Mat 7:1,2 -> “  “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.”.

As you can see, Jesus enjoined His followers not to judge. And He added:

•    Mat 5:38-45 ->  “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.”.
•    “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.”

It’s not up to Jesus’ followers punish the evil:

•    Rom 12:19-21 -> “Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”.

But, why not? Tomorrow we will answer this question. For the nonce, have a good day mulling over this.

Whatever profession a person chooses they should ask God for direction in choosing that profession. Once they are practicing that profession they should do it for the Glory of God. God should be number once in their performance whatever they do. 

• Thumbs Up 1