• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

Hi everyone, another question here...

I've been doing some research on various end times positions. I see that pre,mid, and post trib positions have their representations on this board.However I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on amillenialism. Does anyone believe this? If so why or why not?

Thanks

:o

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  812
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  06/15/1961

I'm afraid I have never heard of that. What is it?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Something I ran into.

http://www.shoaheducation.com/amillenialism.html

Amillenialism is a belief largely characterized by the supposition that the literal return of the Messiah and the 1000 year reign is not true, but there is instead a "messianic age" with the rule of the church body politic, or in more extreme cases, no millenial reign of Christ at all. Amillenialism lends itself to a diminishing of the Judaic birthright as firstborn of the chosen of God. There is inherent and implicit replacement doctrines as the church "replaces" Israel, and in essence replaces even Christ himself on earth, becoming a self-ordained Christ -in -Proxy. Because the Church in this view sets itself in the stead of Christ and the Jewish nation, this position leads to the denigration of both: Christ becomes of time and history, or ethereally out in a heavenly realm; ergo no longer greatly involved with earthly happenings and the Jewish nation becomes a a nation which God has dispossessed because of their rejection of the Church's messiah and therefore their lack of inclusion in such as well as their lack of recognition of the Church's birthright. The Church in utter amillenialism does not look forward to a literal return of Christ, but rather brings in a "church age" making proxy decisions for the Messiah. Instead of a millenium of the reign of Christ on earth, there becomes a "messianic age" with a church and its figureheads as ushering in a utopian age, reinterpreting scripture in terms of church-initiated doctrine and dogma. In amillenialism, several characteristics arise:

the church replaces Christ as "decision maker" and

the church replaces the Word of God as the final authority

the church replaces the Jewish nation as the chosen people

the church confuses the sovereignty of God's dominion with the dominion given man.

The above points are also characteristics of "replacement theologies" or "dominion theologies" or "kingdom now" theologies: the reign of man through the church setting up a human kingdom without the necessary intervention of a living God, literally returning to earth as covenanted. The covenant is so , though. Replacement theologies such as amillenialism ignore the nature of the millenial reign/return of messiah, such as:

the sudden nature of the return (amillenialism would imply a gradual evolution into the rule of the church)

the visible, omnipresent nature of the return (as opposed to a gradual political evolution)and

the "catching away" of the saints (referred to as the rapture);

a literal resurrection of the dead, and lastly, but critically,

the literal reign of a high priest/king/messiah of prophecy.

Jewish worshippers will no doubt neither identify with the above or appreciate the subtlety in Christian Doctrine. But for Christian believers the above differences are critical especially in the development of anti-semitic doctrine. Why? Because:

In more essential interpretations of the Word, the Jewish Nation's identity, as the Chosen from the beginning is held in tact. Even Christ said he came to seek "the lost sheep of the house of Israel"...others were secondary.

In more essential readings of scripture, messianic prophecy and the messiah are held in tact: Orthodox Jews and Believing Christians both await the Messiah: the Jewish nation awaits his promised arrival, the Christian his promised return, and the differences are that: the difference between an arrival and a return.

The Word of God is held in tact in more essential, literal acceptances of scripture: The orthodox and conservative Jew holds the Torah as the light of life, the tenach in full, while the Christian while not naming it as such has the same Torah, the same Tenach, but additionally the New Covenant. It is a shared root necessitating peace and cooperation for the good of both, as in Romans 9-12 in which Christians are admonished to "boast not against the branches. Peace is in the best interest of all.

This is not so with amillenialism, in which the Church exercises imminent domain, or manifest destiny over all things belonging to the Jew, including Israel and Jerusalem. The Church loses its roots, and tries to displace Israel. The result is always war.

Even many mainline churches teach amillenialism; including, the Roman Catholic Church and many liberal Protestant denominations. More and more this dangerous doctrine has crept into the rank and file of evangelical or pentecostal /charismatic groups.

Soon to be discussed, will be the role of the amillenial viewpoint in the world view of these churches as well as how it affected the Church during Shoah. This view with its implications for anti-semitism will be discussed shortly.

• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,801
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

As far as I understand, amillennialism is the belief that there will be no literal, earthly kingdom established... no thousand year reign of Christ... that they view prophecy allegorically... and that the literal promises to Israel were transferred to the church in a spiritualized way.

I disagree.

Revelation 20:4b They came to life and reigned with the Messiah for 1,000 years.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  2,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Ok this is amillenialism from one of it's leading supporters:

A present or future millenium

:o

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  812
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  06/15/1961

Christ becomes of time and history, or ethereally out in a heavenly realm; ergo no longer greatly involved with earthly happenings and the Jewish nation becomes a a nation which God has dispossessed because of their rejection of the Church's messiah and therefore their lack of inclusion in such as well as their lack of recognition of the Church's birthright. The Church in utter amillenialism does not look forward to a literal return of Christ, but rather brings in a "church age" making proxy decisions for the Messiah

Can't say I agree with this.

Instead of a millenium of the reign of Christ on earth, there becomes a "messianic age" with a church and its figureheads as ushering in a utopian age, reinterpreting scripture in terms of church-initiated doctrine and dogma. In amillenialism, several characteristics arise:

the church confuses the sovereignty of God's dominion with the dominion given man.

Or this

Hmmm, as I read on, I think I just don't agree with any of this. That's all I am going to say :o

• Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

As far as I understand, amillennialism is the belief that there will be no literal, earthly kingdom established... no thousand year reign of Christ...  that they view prophecy allegorically... and that the literal promises to Israel were transferred to the church in a spiritualized way.

I disagree.

Revelation 20:4b  They came to life and reigned with the Messiah for 1,000 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's not in the Bible.

Christ becomes of time and history, or ethereally out in a heavenly realm; ergo no longer greatly involved with earthly happenings and the Jewish nation becomes a a nation which God has dispossessed because of their rejection of the Church's messiah and therefore their lack of inclusion in such as well as their lack of recognition of the Church's birthright. The Church in utter amillenialism does not look forward to a literal return of Christ, but rather brings in a "church age" making proxy decisions for the Messiah

Can't say I agree with this.

Instead of a millenium of the reign of Christ on earth, there becomes a "messianic age" with a church and its figureheads as ushering in a utopian age, reinterpreting scripture in terms of church-initiated doctrine and dogma. In amillenialism, several characteristics arise:

Or this

Hmmm, as I read on, I think I just don't agree with any of this. That's all I am going to say :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it's not in the Word Of God......then I want no more to do with it......

• Topic Count:  154
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

As far as I understand, amillennialism is the belief that there will be no literal, earthly kingdom established... no thousand year reign of Christ...

• Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Do they believe in the Second Coming of Christ, Judgement and the end?

Certainly we can argue about prophesy, but I always thought regardless of what view a Christian held, at least all Christian groups believed in the primary prophesy of the entire bible, the return of Christ?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  161
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

The thing is, there is no "they"!

The posts here are characterising an "amillenialist" group that doesn't exist, as far as I know.

If I was describing my own eschatological views, I would probably come closest to the "amillenialist" banner simply because I don't subscribe to a literal 1,000 years, or a literal rapture/tribulation/Antichrist figure stalking the earth. This is mainly based on the way I read Revelation (as a letter of encouragement to churches under Roman persecution) rather than any particular theological "stance".

This does not lead me to believe that:

the church confuses the sovereignty of God's dominion with the dominion given man

... and I don't see why it would. :noidea: