• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.51
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Folks have posted some good information here. There are a few good translations out there. I prefer those that attempt a word for word translation. Its true that many are available on line and free, but that isn't for everyone and we all should have a printed bible.

If I were to purchase a new bible today, it would be either the NASB 95 or the newer version 2020.

My second choice is the ESV and the third would be the NKJV.

The followng link is the Bible I have used for a bunch of years. Its the Inductive Study Bible and there are a lot of helpful bits such as historical charts, maps, Tabernacle descriptions, as well as the suggested manner for study letting the scriptures explain themselves.

It is worth it (for those reading and new to the Lord), to save pennies and buy a good leather (or imitation leather) bound copy, such as in the link, as it will last much longer.

https://www.christianbook.com/nasb-inductive-study-bible-leather-burgundy/9780736969895/pd/969895?event=ESRCG

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

4 minutes ago, Josheb said:

Not true. For centuries Christians managed to sustain faith in Christ without even having Bibles. In the early centuries the only Bibles were Latin ones. 

Again: Not true. It is a flawed translation and as such is no better or worse than some of the fine alternatives. 

What people "say" has nothing to do with the quality of an English Bible translation or an individual's interpretation thereof.

Blessings Josh

I think Id tend to agree with John considering the versions the OP was referencing & in comparison to those few- however, In my opinion it is not " the best" overall & I liked what you said in another post" the one you avtually read is best"- lol

I would not say John statements are not true because it is of his opinion. The same goes for his comment on what people say.... They are opinions, opinions & more opinions and his reply wasnin thst context( imo- lol)

Weve got lots of those going around, dont we?

With love in Christ, Kwik

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.51
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

21 minutes ago, Josheb said:

Not true. For centuries Christians managed to sustain faith in Christ without even having Bibles. In the early centuries the only Bibles were Latin ones. 

This is really important to realize. The fact that the Church was so vibrant here and there over the centuries, before the printing press and a lack of literacy in general, point to the faithfulness of Christ in the believers and His presence in the midst.

• Praise God! 1

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I used to be a kjv only person. And as far as accuracy goes I still hold that it is still the most accurate translation out there, at least according to my studies.

However, over the years ive learned that just because its the most accurate doesnt mean its the only translation. My pastor said it best, accuracy doesnt do you or anyone else squat if the person your witnessing to doesnt understand it.

In fact if your #1 concern is accuracy, then you need to be learning greek and hebrew. Or even Latin as the latin Vulgate is still far more accurate then any english translation out there. But very few kjvers will take the time to even read the 1611 kjv, not alone learn Greek and Hebrew. In fact, id wager the vast majority of people in the kjv only cult wouldnt even be able to distinguish between hebrew and greek, they just hammer on it because thats what theyve been told is the "best" and "only" translation.

And while like I stated before theyre not wrong about it being-at least on my opinion the most accurate, they take it to the ninth degree. You will find most kjv onlyerd to also be staunch legalists. In fact to hold only to that translation while holding all 0thers as heresy is in itself legalism, and legalism isnt what the Bible teaches.

While there are many translations out their that are complete garbage, for example *cough cough* the message *cough cough* there are many translations that while they may not be as accurate they are still decent translations, they still pass on the intended message and are more easily understood. For example while I do most of my personal studying from the KJV, when I do the childrens message at church I usually use the ESV to make it easier to understand.

The problem with many translations is it can cause division and confusion, and the devil loves that. But, it doesnt have to, thats all dependent on us. Sometimes studying with multiple translations, especially with other people that you can discuss the differences with, can actually help you grow in your faith.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  165
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Hello all, I just had to put this article up and it is not from me it is from someone else so it is not self promotion.

THIS SAYS IT ALL!!!!!!

https://www.ancient-hebrew.org/introduction.htm

Shalom

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Days Won:  5

I haven’t read anything in any Bible version that I have disagreed  to think  oh no this is not right, let me seek out what this really says.

To me every version says the same thing in a different way. I read with a heart of agreement not looking to find any discrepancies. 

The helper answers my questions and sometimes it’s through other people. 

In fact, the helper is the one who introduced me to God and told me to start reading the Bible and showed me the best version for “me” to read.

If Gods word is to be spread to the whole world I expect translations. 

God did not mix up the languages so that people would not be able to understand him.

My opinion about the facts of my life. 

“Keep on telling everyone these truths. And warn them before God not to argue about words. Such arguments don’t help anyone, and they ruin those who listen to them.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭2:14‬ 

Check out 2 Timothy 2:14 in your version.

Edited by Hopefully

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  513
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,194
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  1

On 4/6/2022 at 1:19 PM, hmh said:

I was always told in the "Christian Bible Group"  (cult as I later discovered and left) that the King James Version was the "only true and accurate version of the Bible."  However, I have seen many other versions out and about in the world (NIV, NKJV, etc. etc.) and have heard from various pastors/preachers what version they use, and unfortunately some use a version that, quite frankly, seems watered down (not sure which version(s) it is).  My question to the masses for my understanding is this:  What versions are really better?  Or are there versions that are more heretical because of they were made to be more "politically correct?"

Hi, scripture says;

2 Timothy 2:2 (NASB20)
The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful people who will be able to teach others also.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scripture says to entrust what was spoken to faithful people, so I hold true that whatever interpretation was done by a faithful person, God will honor that interpretation…..

This interpretation of a verse might bring forth this truth and not that, but that same truth will be brought forth in another scripture so nothing is lacking…. This I think God does to uphold His word put forth by a faithful person…

So the question would be; the interpretation in question, was it put forth by a faithful person….? 

My thinks….

A fellow believer, Not me 

Edited by Not me

• Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  11/15/1968

23 hours ago, Alive said:

Folks have posted some good information here. There are a few good translations out there. I prefer those that attempt a word for word translation. Its true that many are available on line and free, but that isn't for everyone and we all should have a printed bible.

If I were to purchase a new bible today, it would be either the NASB 95 or the newer version 2020.

My second choice is the ESV and the third would be the NKJV.

The followng link is the Bible I have used for a bunch of years. Its the Inductive Study Bible and there are a lot of helpful bits such as historical charts, maps, Tabernacle descriptions, as well as the suggested manner for study letting the scriptures explain themselves.

It is worth it (for those reading and new to the Lord), to save pennies and buy a good leather (or imitation leather) bound copy, such as in the link, as it will last much longer.

https://www.christianbook.com/nasb-inductive-study-bible-leather-burgundy/9780736969895/pd/969895?event=ESRCG

I like this. Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/6/2022 at 9:35 PM, Josheb said:

THE BEST Bible translation is the one you actually read. :D

Aside from that, they all have their strengths and their weaknesses because they are trying to translate from ancient very nuanced languages into the much more blunt language of English. There are two basic means of translation: formal equivalence and dynamic equivalence. The formal translations attempt to give a direct word-for-word rendering of the original language (Hebrew or Greek). The NAS is generally considered the best of that sort. Dynamic translations attempt to communicate the concepts asserted in the original languages. The NIV would be an example of a dynamic translation. Critics of dynamic translations often complain a specific word is mistranslated. That's because the dynamic translations aren't trying to be bound to the letter of the original language. Those criticisms are often red herrings because the translations does a fine job of communicating the message of the original, even if ti does so in more modern vernacular. The ESV and KJV fall in between but are closer to the formal end. The NLT makes the NIV look formal. 

I recommend carrying around whatever you like BUT when studying, use one of each and compare. Reading the NAS and then the NIV can be very informative and illuminating. Same thing will occur using the ESV or KJV and the NLT, HCS, or BSB, etc. 

Of course, if you're using a computer to read this post then you've got near-instant access to more translations then you could possibly use. Websites like Bible Hub (my preference), Bible Gateway, or Blue Letter Bible provide easy access to multiple translations as well as the Hebrew and Greek and a plethora of commentary and other study resources.

Use them.

Thank you.  I like this idea and thank you for the links.

On 4/6/2022 at 5:48 PM, AdHoc said:

The Lord, in His wisdom, left us TWO main sets of manuscripts. (i) Those written in the common Greek called Koin Greek - and which were passed down through the Churches ... and copied by hand. (ii) Those written in classic Greek and which were kept locked up in the library in Alexandria, Egypt.

Then, in His wisdom, He allowed the Hebrew Old Testament to be translated in Greek about 300 years before Christ by 70 of the best scholars of the that time. the original is called the "Masoretic text" and the Greek copy is called the "Septuagint". After Christ's death it is reported that the Jews tried to change some things in the Masoretic text, but the Dead Sea scrolls showed the Septuagint to be true.

Then, in man's lack of wisdom, some translator took upon themselves the task of not only translating the exact words, but made themselves into expositors and translated scripture not literally, but as they thought God meant. the literal translations are called that while the translations whose translator thought they could improve on God's words, are called "dynamic translations"

So the student of scripture is faced with FOUR possibilities:

1. A Literal Translation using the "Received Text"
  2. A Literal Translation using the "Alexandrian Text"
  3. A choice between Masoretic Old Testament, or Septuagint
  4. A Dynamic Translation where the translators write what they think God meant

If you have time, study the first three. If you have money enough, get three more books; (i) Strong's Exhaustive Concordance and Dictionary, (ii) Vine's Expository Dictionary, and (iii) The Interlinear Bible. If you are short of money and time, get the "New King James Bible". It is a literal translation with the mistakes of the King James corrected. It uses the Received Text but most have margins showing the differences.

May the Lord bless your efforts.

I have a Strong's and a Young's that I need to dig up that I bought years ago.  Need to bring them back into the light and get back to getting myself back in alignment with God.

• Thumbs Up 1