missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Do you think that the police should wear a camera on their uniform? What are the pros and cons? We are voting for this now where I live. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I think it would vindicate and protect the police.   It might even help to convict criminals.  When I was working on school busses someone with mental problems made false accusations about me so they put a camera on my bus.  I was thankful because it vindicated me.   

Sometimes officers leave their mike keyed so it could be known what they were dealing with.  It was broadcast on the scanner and was pretty bad.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

This is normal practice in the UK. The footage can be used as evidence.  It also helps to protect police against false accusations - and probably acts as a deterrent against officers who are tempted to act unlawfully.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Also in cases with police brutality, in can show what really happened and if the force used was necessary. When officers know this, it may be a deterrent for them to overdo it.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Willa said:

I think it would vindicate and protect the police.   It might even help to convict criminals.  When I was working on school busses someone with mental problems made false accusations about me so they put a camera on my bus.  I was thankful because it vindicated me.   

Sometimes officers leave their mike keyed so it could be known what they were dealing with.  It was broadcast on the scanner and was pretty bad.

Good morning,

It cuts both ways, many that have been formally charged were exonerated by video evidence. Most everyone carries a camera phone these days. It is hard to controvert video evidence (in its entirety). 

I ran across something the other day, but did not have the time to read the article, only the headline. I have no idea the validity of the title, but I got the impression someone is out to stop the public from videoing the police? Is there some sort of push for this? 

• Interesting! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Rosie1jack2pauline3 said:

I believe it’s common practice for the police to wear body cams in London, never seen any here, in my part of Hampshire UK, I believe bailiffs are also kitted out with them in the UK.

I would vote for them as all is recorded on camera, from the front anyway, not sure what can happen from behind.

Since you live in the U.K., perhaps you would share your thoughts and insight? I’ve watched several programs describing London’s camera network (CCTV). If I understand it correctly, there is nowhere to hide from the cameras, they are everywhere, and there is no public privacy in London.

The programs I watched detailed the use of facial recognition software and tracking people. If this is true, what are your feelings and thoughts about it?

Here in the U.S., private for-profit companies are setting up radar and cameras sending the registered “owners” of the vehicle tickets in the mail, with no opportunity to contest the ticket in court. I understand New York City wants to model London’s system also.

These things suggest an Orwellian society, the Book of Revelation, etc.

• Interesting! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,405
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

There's no harm in it, in and of itself. It keeps everyone safer that way IMO.

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,081
  • Content Per Day:  9.75
  • Days Won:  149

I believe cams keep everyone held to the video evidence. Not only police but citizens. For this they are good.

There is potential for video to be misrepresented if the entire incident is not covered. Video can be manipulated and edited, so video should remain untouched if used for evidence.. Any video that only discloses part of the story can be misinterpreted. One could build an untruthful story around a partial video.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  431
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,209
  • Content Per Day:  2.08

No. It costs tax payers too much money. It is unnecessary, And an unnecessary deference from policing and encouraging policing involvement. I vote no.

• Topic Count:  431
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,209
  • Content Per Day:  2.08

deterence* though deference is probably appropriate, ,as well