IGNORED

What does it mean to believe on his name?

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

John 1:12

I might not be able to describe this perfectly but does believing on his name mean like believing in him because you were reading his name or hearing his name and while you were reading his name or hearing his name you believed in him somehow?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Hi @plo1988

2 hours ago, plo1988 said:

I might not be able to describe this perfectly but does believing on his name mean like believing in him because you were reading his name or hearing his name and while you were reading his name or hearing his name you believed in him somehow?

Good question.

In the Biblical way of understanding, one's name is like tag of their whole entirety - not just a title. What I mean is that your name is who you are, your authority/power, a descriptive of your core, and of course your identity.

When you read in the Scriptures of the Father or the Son talk about their 'name', they don't just mean simply 'the sound they are called by' but the essence of their authority.  So Yahweh is the name (or authority) of the Creator of all things and Yeshua/Jesus is the name (or authority) of the Son of the Creator.  Hopefully I'm making sense!

Taking this further, this will give you some insight when we learn that the Father as "given His name" (or authority) to the Son.  This means the Son can rule with the full authority of God the Father - until the Kingdom comes.  Like how in ancient times the author of a letter with the King's seal could write letters with the full authority of the king.  And, in the same way, Christians have the authority to pray in the Son's 'name' (or His authority).

So, to answer your question, to believe in the His name is to believe in His authority, power and being - that what He says He will do, He can and will do and has the full ability to do so.   Therefore, by "believing in the Father's name", we are saying we believe that He is the only true God and Creator of all things.  By "believing in the Son's name", we are saying we believe He told the perfect truth about being the Son, that He has the power to raise us and that He is indeed the chosen Messiah and King.  This goes to the centre of of testimony - that we believe in the name of Yeshua/Jesus, that He is who He said He is, and He lives at the right hand of Yahweh, and all authority of the Father's 'name' has been given to Him.

I hope that makes some kind of sense!

Peace.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

4 hours ago, plo1988 said:

It depends on one's level of understanding. 

Achiltibuie will believe Jesus saves, while an older person will have a deeper understanding. 

If one b3lieves in Jesus's  name one is believing g in Him, what he has done, what he represents etc etc etc.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

7 hours ago, plo1988 said:

Biblical belief and biblical faith = TRUST.

TRUST JESUS, not yourself, for eternal life.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

23 hours ago, Who me said:

It depends on one's level of understanding. 

Achiltibuie will believe Jesus saves, while an older person will have a deeper understanding. 

If one b3lieves in Jesus's  name one is believing g in Him, what he has done, what he represents etc etc etc.

Sorry that should read a child will believe.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

This topic has always interested me, biblical names and meanings. In Hebrew & Greek, a name always carries a meaning and usually gives a tidbit of accurate information about that individual. I will only cite one of the hundreds for brevity:

Daniel (dan’-yel) = Judge of God; i.e., one who delivers judgment in the name of God; my judge is God; God is my judge; he that judges.[1]

Believing in the Name of Jesus the Messiah and Christ means exactly that. But what name, all of them! Jesus has many names and titles, as listed below.

#        NAME/TITLE        SCRIPTURE        VERSE

1        Advocate        1 John 2:1        My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2        Almighty        Revelation 1:8        I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty

3        Alpha and Omega        Revelation 1:8; 21:6; 22:13        I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. (Revelation 22:13)

4        Amen        Revelation 3:14        And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

5        Anointed        Psalms 2:2        The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,

6        Apostle and High Priest           Hebrews 3:1        Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

7        Arm of the Lord             Isaiah 51:9; 53:1        Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of the LORD; awake, as in the ancient days, in the generations of old. Art thou not it that hath cut Rahab, and wounded the dragon? (Isaiah 51:9)

8        Author and Finisher of Our Faith        Hebrews 12:2        Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

9        Author of Eternal Salvation        Hebrews 5:9        And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

10        Beginning and End        Revelation 21:6; 22:13        And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. (Revelation 21:6)

11        Beginning and Ending        Revelation 1:8        I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

12        Beginning of the Creation of God        Revelation 3:14        And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

13        Beloved        Matthew 12:18

Ephesians 1:6        To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. (Ephesians 1:6)

14        Beloved Son        Matthew 3:17; 17:5, Mark 1:11; 9:7, Luke 3:22; 9:35, 2 Peter 1:17 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased. (Luke 3:22)

15        Blessed and Only Potentate        1 Timothy 6:15        Which in his times he shall show, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;

16        Branch          Isaiah 4:2, Jeremiah 23:5, Zechariah 3:8 In that day shall the branch of the LORD be beautiful and glorious, and the fruit of the earth shall be excellent and comely for them that are escaped of Israel. (Isaiah 4:2)

17        Bread of God        John 6:33        For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

18        Bread of Life        John 6:35        And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

19        Bridegroom        Matthew 9:15, Mark 2:19-20, Luke 5:34-35, John 3:29 And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast. (Matthew 9:15)

20        Bright and Morning Star         Revelation 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

21        Brightness of His Glory        Hebrew 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

22        Captain of Salvation        Hebrews 2:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

23        Captain of the Host of the Lord           Joshua 5:14 And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?

24        Chief Cornerstone        Ephesians 2:20, 1 Peter 2:6 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; (Ephesians 2:20)

25        Chief Shepherd          1 Peter 5:4        And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

26        Christ, The  (19 verses) Matthew 16:16; 16:20, Mark 8:29, John 4:29; 4:42; 7:41; 11:27; 20:31 1 John 2:22; 5:1 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. (John 20:31)

27        Christ  (552 verses, including The Christ, Christ Jesus and Jesus Christ)  Matthew 1:18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.

28        Christ Jesus  (58 verses)  Acts 19:4, Romans 3:24; 8:1, 1 Corinthians 1:2,30, Hebrews 3:1, 1 Peter 5:10; 5:14 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: (Romans 3:24)

29        Consolation of Israel        Luke 2:25        And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him.

30        Cornerstone        Psalm 118:22, Matthew 21:42, Mark 12:10, Luke 20:17, Acts 4:11 The stone which the builders refused is become the head stone of the corner. (Psalm 118:22)

31        Counsellor        Isaiah 9:6        For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

32        Creator         Genesis 1:1  John 1:1-3  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. (John 1:1-3)

33        Creator of Israel        Isaiah 43:15        I am the LORD, your Holy One, the creator of Israel, your King.

34        Dayspring from on High         Luke 1:78        Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us,

35        Deliverer        Romans 11:26        And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

36        Desire of the Nations        Haggai 2:7        And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, saith the LORD of hosts.

37        Door of the Sheep        John 10:7        Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

38        Elect of God        Isaiah 42:1        Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.

39        Emmanuel/Immanuel  (God with us)        Isaiah 7:14

Matthew 1:23

Luke 7:16

1 Timothy 3:16        Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. (Matthew 1:23)

40        Ensign of the People        Isaiah 11:10        And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.

41        Eternal King        1 Timothy 1:17        Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

42        Everlasting Father        Isaiah 9:6        For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

43        Everlasting Light        Isaiah 60:20        Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the LORD shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended.

44        Faithful and True        Revelation 19:11        And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

45        Faithful and True Witness        Revelation 3:14        And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

46        Faithful Witness        Revelation 1:5        And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

47        First and Last        Isaiah 41:4; 44:6; 48:12

Revelation 1:11; 1:17; 2:8; 22:13        And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: (Revelation 1:17)

48        Firstbegotten/First Begotten        Hebrews 1:6

Revelation 1:5        And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him. (Hebrews 1:6)

49        Forerunner        Hebrews 6:20        Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

50        Glory of the Lord        Isaiah 40:5        And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

51        God        Isaiah 40:3

John 1:1

Romans 9:5

1 Timothy 3:16

Titus 2:13        And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory. (1 Timothy 3:16)

52        God of the Whole Earth         Isaiah 54:5        For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

53        Good Shepherd         John 10:11; 10:14        I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. (John 10:11)

54        Governor        Matthew 2:6        And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.

55        Great Shepherd         Hebrews 13:20        Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

56        Head of the Church        Ephesians 1:22; 5:23

Colossians 1:18        For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. (Ephesians 5:23)

57        Heir of All Things        Hebrews 1:2        Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

58        High Priest  (Order of Melchizedek)        Psalms 110:4

Hebrews 2:17; 4:14-15; 5:10; 6:20; 7:26; 8:1; 9:11; 10:21        Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. (Hebrew 4:14)

59        Holy Child        Acts 4:27; 4:30        By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus. (Acts 4:30)

60        Holy One        Job 6:10

Psalms 16:10

Isaiah 10:17; 40:25; 43:15

Hosea 11:9

Habakkuk 1:12

Acts 2:27; 3:14; 13:35        But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; (Acts 3:14)

61        Holy One of God        Mark 1:24        Saying, Let us alone; what have we to do with thee, thou Jesus of Nazareth? art thou come to destroy us? I know thee who thou art, the Holy One of God.

62        Holy One of Israel        2 Kings 19:22

Psalms 71:22; 78:41; 89:18

Isaiah 1:4; 5:19; 5:24; 10:20; 12:6; 17:7; 29:19; 30:11; 37:23; 41:14; 41:16; 41:20; 43:3; 43:14; 45:11; 47:4; 48:17; 49:11; 54:4-5; 60:9; 60:14

Jeremiah 50:29; 51:5        Therefore as the fire devoureth the stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff, so their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust: because they have cast away the law of the LORD of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel. (Isaiah 5:24)

63        Horn of Salvation        2 Samuel 22:3

Psalm 18:2

Luke 1:69        And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David; (Luke 1:69)

64        I AM        Exodus 3:14

John 8:58        Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. (John 8:58)

65        Image of God        2 Corinthians 4:4        In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

66        Israel        Isaiah 49:3        And said unto me, Thou art my servant, O Israel, in whom I will be glorified.

67        Jesus Christ

(189 verses)        Acts 4:10        Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

68        Judge        Isaiah 33:22

John 5:22; 5:30; 8:16

Acts 10:42

2 Timothy 4:1

Revelation 19:11        And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead. (Acts 10:42)

69        Judge of Israel        Micah 5:1        Now gather thyself in troops, O daughter of troops: he hath laid siege against us: they shall smite the judge of Israel with a rod upon the cheek.

70        Just One        Acts 7:52; 22:14        Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which showed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers: (Acts 7:52)

71        King        Isaiah 43:15

Jeremiah 23:5

Zechariah 9:9

Matthew 21:5

Luke 19:38

John 12:15        Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass. (Zechariah 9:9)

72        King of Israel        Isaiah 44:6

Matthew 27:42

Mark 15:32

John 1:49; 12:13        Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel. (John 1:49)

73        King of the Jews         Matthew 2:2; 27:11; 27:29; 27:37

Mark 15:2; 15:9; 15:12; 15:18; 15:26; 23:3; 23:37-38

John 18:33; 18:39; 19:3; 19:19; 19:21        Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. (Matthew 2:2)

74        King of kings        1 Timothy 6:15

Revelation 17:14; 19:16        And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS. (Revelation 19:16)

75        Lamb        Revelation 5:6; 5:8; 5:12-13; 6:1; 6:16; 7:9-10; 7:14; 7:17; 12:11; 13:8; 14:1; 14:4; 14:10; 15:3; 17:14; 19:7; 19:9; 21:9; 21:14; 21:22-23; 21:27; 22:1; 22:3        And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. (Revelation 13:8)

76        Lamb of God        John 1:29; 1:36        The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. (John 1:29)

77        Last Adam        1 Corinthians 15:45        And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

78        Lawgiver        Isaiah 33:22

James 4:12        For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; he will save us. (Isaiah 33:22)

79        Life, The        John 11:25; 14:6

1 John 1:2        Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: (John 11:25)

80        Light of the World        John 8:12; 9:5        Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. (John 8:12)

81        Lion of the Tribe of Judah        Revelation 5:5        And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.

82        Living Bread        John 6:51        I am the living bread which came down from heav­en: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ev­er: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

83        Lord Jesus  (115 verses, including Lord Jesus Christ)        Acts 4:33        And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.

84        Lord Jesus Christ  (82 verses)        1 Corinthians 8:6        But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

85        Lord of All        Acts 10:36        The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

86        Lord of Glory        1 Corinthians 2:8

James 2:1        Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

87        Lord of lords        Deuteronomy 10:17

Psalms 136:3

1 Timothy 6:15

Revelation 17:14; 19:16        These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful. (Revelation 17:14)

88        Lord of the Sabbath        Matthew 12:8

Mark 2:28

Luke 6:5        And he said unto them, That the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath. (Luke 6:5)

89        Lord Our Righteousness         Jeremiah 23:6        In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.

90        Man of Sorrows         Isaiah 53:3        He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

91        Mediator        Hebrews 8:6; 9:15; 12:24

1 Timothy 2:5        For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

92        Messenger of the Covenant        Malachi 3:1        Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.

93        Messiah        Daniel 9:25-26        Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. (Daniel 9:25)

94        Messias         John 1:41; 4:25        He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ.

95        Mighty God        Isaiah 9:6        For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

96        Mighty One of Israel        Isaiah 1:24; 30:29        Ye shall have a song, as in the night when a holy solemnity is kept; and gladness of heart, as when one goeth with a pipe to come into the mountain of the Lord , to the mighty One of Israel.

97        Mighty One of Jacob        Isaiah 49:26; 60:16        And I will feed them that oppress thee with their own flesh; and they shall be drunken with their own blood, as with sweet wine: and all flesh shall know that I the LORD am thy Saviour and thy Redeemer, the mighty One of Jacob. (Isaiah 49:26)

98        Nazarene        Matthew 2:23        And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

99        Offspring of David        Revelation 22:16        I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

100        Only Begotten Son        John 1:18; 3:16; 3:18

1 John 4:9        For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

101        Our Passover        1 Corinthians 5:7        Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

102        Plant of Renown        Ezekiel 34:29        And I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more.

103        Prince of Life        Acts 3:15        And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.

104        Prince of the Kings of the Earth        Revelation 1:5        And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

105        Prince of Peace          Isaiah 9:6        For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

106        Prophet        Deuteronomy 18:15; 18:18

Matthew 21:11

Luke 24:19

Acts 3:22        I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him. (Deuteronomy 18:18)

107        Righteous Judge        2 Timothy 4:8        Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

108        Redeemer        Job 19:25

Psalms 19:14; 78:35

Proverbs 23:11

Isaiah 41:14; 43:14; 44:6; 44:24; 47:4; 48:17; 49:7; 49:26; 54:5; 54:8; 59:20; 60:16; 63:16

Jeremiah 50:34        Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself; (Isaiah 44:24)

109        Resurrection and Life        John 11:25        Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

110        Rock        Deuteronomy 32:4; 32:15

2 Samuel 22:2

Psalms 18:2; 18:46; 28:1; 31:2-3; 42:9; 62:2; 62:6-7; 71:3; 92:15; 94:22; 95:1

Isaiah 17:10

1 Corinthians 10:4        And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. (1 Corinthians 10:4)

111        Rock of Offence         Isaiah 8:14

Romans 9:33

1 Peter 2:8        And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. (Isaiah 8:14)

112        Root of David        Revelation 5:5; 22:16        I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star. (Revelation 22:16)

113        Root of Jesse        Isaiah 11:10        And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious.

114        Saviour (37 verses)        Luke 2:11        For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

115        Seed of Woman        Genesis  3:15        And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

116        Shepherd        Psalms 23:1

Mark 14:27        And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered. (Mark 14:27)

117        Shepherd and Bishop of Our Souls        1 Peter 2:25        For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

118        Shepherd of Israel        Psalms 80:1        Give ear, O Shepherd of Israel, thou that leadest Joseph like a flock; thou that dwellest between the cherubims, shine forth.

119        Shiloh        Genesis 49:10        The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.

120        Son of the Blessed        Mark 14:61        But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?

121        Son of David        Matthew 1:1; 1:20; 9:27; 12:23; 15:22; 20:30-31; 21:9; 21:15; 22:42

Mark 10:47-48; 12:35

Luke 18:38-39

The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.

122        Son of God (47 verses)        Mark 1:1        The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;

123        Son of Man (85 New Testament verses)        Matthew 12:40        For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

124        Son of the Highest        Luke 1:32        He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

125        Sun of Righteousness        Malachi 4:2        But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

126        True Bread        John 6:32        Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven.

127        True Light        John 1:9        That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

128        True Vine        John 15:1        I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

129        Truth, The        John 14:6        Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

130        Way, The        John 14:6        Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

131        Witness         Isaiah 55:4        Behold, I have given him for a witness to the people, a leader and commander to the people.

132        Wonderful        Isaiah 9:6        For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

133        Word        John 1:1; 1:14

1 John 5:7        In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

134        Word of God        Revelation 19:13        And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

135        Word of Life        1 John 1:1        That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

[1] Smith, Stelman, and Judson Cornwall. The exhaustive dictionary of Bible names 1998: 58. Print.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 10/17/2022 at 1:17 AM, plo1988 said:

A name is something one makes.

"Making a name for one's self."

Take named  brands of products one buys from the store.

The product is consistent, maintains high standards, does what it claims, for a fair price.

One can also make a bad name for themselves. By their actions not aligning with their oaths / promises.

Misleading people, etc.

Proverbs 18:10 (KJV)
10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.

Matthew 1:21 (KJV)
21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Jesus (Yeshua) was not an uncommon name. Joshua (Moses' successor) had the same name (Yehoshua ← the fuller version of Yeshua). And at least one High Priest in scripture had the name Yeshua.

The name itself comes from the LORD (YAH / YHVH) and to save (Hoshea) Yehoshua. YHVH SAVES.

The name of Jesus is the standard of Jesus. It is also the identification of Jesus (meaning any old "Jesus" cannot save but only the one true authentic Jesus).

It is incumbent  upon the believer to ensure you are believing in that authentic true Jesus and you can only be sure of this by the scriptures that testify of him (John 5:39-40) ← note that just studying the scriptures does not save but coming to the Jesus they testify of does. I'll quote them:

John 5:39–40 (KJV)
39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

Also in the name of Jesus, when he taught that you have not asked in my name, ask that you receive what you ask for and your joy be full...

This does not mean everything you ask for you'll get by tacking the name Jesus on the end of your prayers.

It means whatever you ask for that Jesus name stands for you will receive (as God deems fit... remembering that God is in authority, he is not in some sort of painted into corner that we can hold him for ransom over, and he is also concerned with our best interests and may never give us a million dollars because he knows it will bankrupt us morally... etc).

The name is who he is and what he stands for.

And it is not required to be spoken at the end of every Christian prayer... as Christians who believe in Jesus, all our prayers are in Jesus' name in the sense that we are his and:

John 16:26–27 (KJV)
26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:
27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

I have found it helpful to think of this in terms of “the nature is in the name”. If you read scripture with this in mind, it can be very helpful.

This relates to “kind”.

Edited by Alive