bropro

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  212
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

In our adult bible study this morning, we were discussing the keeping of the Sabbath under the Old Covenant. One of the scripture references that came up had to do with the man that went out and picked up sticks on the Sabbath. When the Lord was asked what to do with him, He said that he was to be stoned to death. The question that was asked by a couple of people was, why was the penalty so severe for this man? I thought I would put this question out here to gain insights from others.

Gary

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,938
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  411
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

12 hours ago, bropro said:

One of the scripture references that came up had to do with the man that went out and picked up sticks on the Sabbath. When the Lord was asked what to do with him, He said that he was to be stoned to death. The question that was asked by a couple of people was, why was the penalty so severe for this man?

That account is found in Numbers 15: 32-36.  Yes, the penalty was severe for anyone who was found to be working on the Sabbath.  
That was a day that was to be devoted to God and to be spent pondering on one's spirituality and not to think about one's material needs.  Collecting firewood (i.e. the sticks) would indicate a violation of the Sabbath rules.

The severity of the Sabbath requirements is better placed in context by remembering why God wanted the Sabbath to be observed in the first place:  The desisting from all labor and observing other God-given Sabbath requirements not only gave rest to the body but, more important, it provided opportunity for the individual to demonstrate his faith and obedience through Sabbath observance. It also gave parents the opportunity to inculcate God’s laws and commandments into the minds and hearts of their children. (De 6:4-9) The Sabbath was also customarily occupied with taking in knowledge of God and attending to spiritual needs, as well. 

Of course, we must never forget how this spiritual principle applies: "It is better to obey than to sacrifice" (1 Samuel 15:22). 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  3,038
  • Content Per Day:  3.33

15 hours ago, bropro said:

In our adult bible study this morning, we were discussing the keeping of the Sabbath under the Old Covenant. One of the scripture references that came up had to do with the man that went out and picked up sticks on the Sabbath. When the Lord was asked what to do with him, He said that he was to be stoned to death. The question that was asked by a couple of people was, why was the penalty so severe for this man? I thought I would put this question out here to gain insights from others.

Gary

We should be careful when we judge the holy things of God. The question rather should be, how many lives are worth the holiness of God? In Exodus 31:12-18 the Covenant of the Sabbath is regulated. God solemnly informed Israel that the Sabbath was regarded by God as "holy". Now, we know that God is very generous, gracious, long-suffering, forgiving and merciful. But when God has established something "holy", it changes everything.

1. Aaron ONLY may enter the Holy of Holies. Anybody else who did was killed on the spot
  2. Aaron had special rituals to fulfill before he could go into the holy of Holies. If he missed one little point he was dead meat
  3. Moses touched God' holy reputation before Israel and reused entry into the God Land despite 40 years of service
  4. King Saul took the duty of the priest without permission and lost everything
  5. Uzzah wanted to stop the Ark of the Covenant from falling and was struck dead
  6. Onan tried to thwart the inheritance and was struck dead
  7. Ananias and Saphira lied to the Holy Spirit and were struck dead
  8. Nadab and Abihu burnt strange fire and were struck dead

If the Lord has declared something holy, only the very brave or very foolish act otherwise

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

3 minutes ago, AdHoc said:

We should be careful when we judge the holy things of God. The question rather should be, how many lives are worth the holiness of God? In Exodus 31:12-18 the Covenant of the Sabbath is regulated. God solemnly informed Israel that the Sabbath was regarded by God as "holy". Now, we know that God is very generous, gracious, long-suffering, forgiving and merciful. But when God has established something "holy", it changes everything.

1. Aaron ONLY may enter the Holy of Holies. Anybody else who did was killed on the spot
  2. Aaron had special rituals to fulfill before he could go into the holy of Holies. If he missed one little point he was dead meat
  3. Moses touched God' holy reputation before Israel and reused entry into the God Land despite 40 years of service
  4. King Saul took the duty of the priest without permission and lost everything
  5. Uzzah wanted to stop the Ark of the Covenant from falling and was struck dead
  6. Onan tried to thwart the inheritance and was struck dead
  7. Ananias and Saphira lied to the Holy Spirit and were struck dead
  8. Nadab and Abihu burnt strange fire and were struck dead

If the Lord has declared something holy, only the very brave or very foolish act otherwise

It seems to me to be important when examing such topics to consider that 'holy' generally means set apart and that for a purpose. From the mundane  to the extra-ordinary.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

Considering the biblical history above, our age of grace is seen in a more significant light, for us created beings.

“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty,’ who was, and is, and is to come.”

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

6 minutes ago, Sower said:

Considering the biblical history above, our age of grace is seen in a more significant light, for us created beings.

“Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty,’ who was, and is, and is to come.”

Hello Sower of Tejas...I like to point out or suggest that from God toward all of Creation, including His 'imagers', His dealings with and toward us, has always been under the cover of Grace. From our making, through all of the chronicles, the Law given by Moses and Christ--the final and complete manifestation of Grace and Truth. The Truth of Grace.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Alive said:

Hello Sower of Tejas...I like to point out or suggest that from God toward all of Creation, including His 'imagers', His dealings with and toward us, has always been under the cover of Grace. From our making, through all of the chronicles, the Law given by Moses and Christ--the final and complete manifestation of Grace and Truth. The Truth of Grace.

default_thumbsup.gif.31f91163c8fae5df5c94cc3fda5c86c9.gif

But I am still thankful, grateful, to live in the this age of grace..., if you know what I mean..
Those OT dudes were tough, and knew the meaning of "fear of the Lord"
Our age of worship because of what HE did, and not what next step we took could mean death.
Perhaps it is because of my decades in the RCC, works, works, fear, that grace shines so bright in my spirit.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  206
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

17 hours ago, bropro said:

The question that was asked by a couple of people was, why was the penalty so severe for this man?

High poverty coupled with low degrees of relative knowledge and education.

Typically result in severe, one size fits all, punishments in the legal system.

We see this even today where poor 3rd world nations implement severe and brutal punishments for lesser offenses.

22 hours ago, bropro said:

The question that was asked by a couple of people was, why was the penalty so severe for this man?

I don't know. I thought he was made a scapegoat, but the definition says; a scapegoat has come to mean any group or individual that innocently bears the blame of others.

a scapegoat is one of a pair of kid goats that is released into the wilderness, taking with it all sins and impurities, while the other is sacrificed.

Found out that, In essence, a scapegoat in the Bible is one who makes atonement for another (or redeems them).
Jesus was the lamb, not goat, “Behold! The Lamb of God Who takes away the sins of the world”

Sorry, but did not answer your question. I can only think the penalty he received was to make a point.
God is holy. Obey God. OT...law.