IGNORED

Why Doesn’t Jesus Know When He Will Return?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

In Matthew 24:36, it says that only the father knows when Jesus will come back, not even the angels or even Jesus.

I’m wondering why Jesus wouldn’t be told this? I’ve searched Google and it just comes up with articles talking about how he humbled himself to become man and therefore doesn’t necessarily know things. But that doesn’t really help me.

For what reason has God decided to keep this from Jesus? The information is kept from us, so that we would be ready, could it be a similar reason for Jesus?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

I think there are too aspects to this question:

1) When Jesus was on earth, was He omniscient?

2) Why didn't He know this very important piece of information in particular?

1) God is omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient. Jesus is God, so surely He should be all these things as well? But hang on a minute, when He became man He wasn't omnipresent - He could only be in one place at a time. We don't generally have a problem with that. And He probably wasn't omniscient while He was on earth either - because how could all the knowledge in the universe (let alone outside it) be stored in one human brain? What we do see is that He had access to the power and knowledge of the Father at all times. He was given the power to do miracles through the Holy Spirit (Acts 10:38), and He was given knowledge through the Spirit in the same way, as and when He needed it.

2) And He didn't need to know when He would come back! Surely the point that He is making is that it is not for human beings to know the future in such detail - because such knowledge distorts our decision-making. If not even Jesus knew the date of His return, then it's not important for us to know either.

Edited by Deborah_
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Well Said! 1

3 hours ago, Deborah_ said:

I think there are too aspects to this question:

1) When Jesus was on earth, was He omniscient?

2) Why didn't He know this very important piece of information in particular?

1) God is omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient. Jesus is God, so surely He should be all these things as well? But hang on a minute, when He became man He wasn't omnipresent - He could only be in one place at a time. We don't generally have a problem with that. And He probably wasn't omniscient while He was on earth either - because how could all the knowledge in the universe (let alone outside it) be stored in one human brain? What we do see is that He had access to the power and knowledge of the Father at all times. He was given the power to do miracles through the Holy Spirit (Acts 10:38), and He was given knowledge through the Spirit in the same way, as and when He needed it.

2) And He didn't need to know when He would come back! Surely the point that He is making is that it is not for human beings to know the future in such detail - because such knowledge distorts our decision-making. If not even Jesus knew the date of His return, then it's not important for us to know either.

I like this. So, could this mean that Jesus didn’t know the time back then, but, he might know now?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

50 minutes ago, Open7 said:

I like this. So, could this mean that Jesus didn’t know the time back then, but, he might know now?

He might know it now. We don't know, because He won't tell us even if He does.

As He said to His disciples just before His ascension, "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by His own authority." (Acts 1:7)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

8 hours ago, Open7 said:

In Matthew 24:36, it says that only the father knows when Jesus will come back, not even the angels or even Jesus.

I’m wondering why Jesus wouldn’t be told this? I’ve searched Google and it just comes up with articles talking about how he humbled himself to become man and therefore doesn’t necessarily know things. But that doesn’t really help me.

For what reason has God decided to keep this from Jesus? The information is kept from us, so that we would be ready, could it be a similar reason for Jesus?

Jesus now knows when He will return. He now has a glorified body and is fully God unlike when He was on this earth. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

12 hours ago, Open7 said:

Hi Open,

When Jesus was on earth, He did not have omniscience, (all knowing) omnipotence, (all power) and omnipresence, (everywhere present). However, when Jesus returned to the Father He was again in the Godhead and had full powers again.

Thus, as Head of His Body he will tell us as the time draws near for His coming.

`you, brethren, are not in darkness that this day should overtake you as a thief. ` (1 Thess. 5: 4)

`exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the day approaching. ` (Heb. 10: 25)

Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Deborah_ said:

He might know it now. We don't know, because He won't tell us even if He does.

As He said to His disciples just before His ascension, "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by His own authority." (Acts 1:7)

Yes. I’m also thinking, perhaps God did not reveal this to Jesus, because he needed this to be a secret, and to have nothing in the Bible that people could use to figure out when Jesus was coming again.

If that is the case, it shows how serious God was in not revealing this information, because if he did, it would change so much in the Christian world and in our culture, I would think for the worse

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 12/10/2022 at 4:41 AM, Open7 said:

That's a presumption from Gentile commentators.

In a Jewish wedding betrothal, the groom would build a home on dad's land and the father would approve the home then tell his son to get his bride.

Jesus is saying when our heavenly homes are completed/there are enough Jews and Gentiles saved, the Father will tell the Son to Return.

HOWEVER, Jesus limited some of his nature on Earth. He chose to live in one body, in one person.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

On 12/10/2022 at 8:39 AM, Open7 said:

Yes,of course

Jesus,the man Jesus did not know when He'd Return- even though He Is Always Fully God but being fully Man & Fully God He Humbled himself to be as ONE of us,not accessing His Powers of Omniscience,Omnipresence & Omnipotence as He Would in His Spiritual Form.I think this is one of those instances when we realize ( if but a small part) of what He,God,actually reduced Himself to having been born as a human being to Accomplish what only He Could do- suffer & die ,one for all mankind just as Adams sin was a curse for all - one for all .

Imagine,All of Heaven bows down before you and then you are in a manger hungry & thirsty for mother's milk,can't even hold up your own head or sit up without help......Joseph & Mary were Trusted with the Son of God's life and it just Amazes me that God Loves us that much!Reducing Himself to Servitude- for me and you!

It's alot to wrap my head around- such Love

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

4 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Yes,of course

Jesus,the man Jesus did not know when He'd Return- even though He Is Always Fully God but being fully Man & Fully God He Humbled himself to be as ONE of us,not accessing His Powers of Omniscience,Omnipresence & Omnipotence as He Would in His Spiritual Form.I think this is one of those instances when we realize ( if but a small part) of what He,God,actually reduced Himself to having been born as a human being to Accomplish what only He Could do- suffer & die ,one for all mankind just as Adams sin was a curse for all - one for all .

Imagine,All of Heaven bows down before you and then you are in a manger hungry & thirsty for mother's milk,can't even hold up your own head or sit up without help......Joseph & Mary were Trusted with the Son of God's life and it just Amazes me that God Loves us that much!Reducing Himself to Servitude- for me and you!

It's alot to wrap my head around- such Love

@kwikphilly He voluntarily was indeed the dependent Son and servant - Philippians 2 - while remaining equal with God.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1