IGNORED

Addictions, bad and good........tattoos of Bible verses; thoughts?

farouk

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,400
  • Content Per Day:  12.14
  • Days Won:  31

@Jayne

I have no problems with tattoos and I am not denying that it happens.

FYI...Would you have any comment about any 'addiction' aspect, and whether addiction is always bad or could in theory in some circumstances be acceptable?

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

12 minutes ago, farouk said:

@Jayne

FYI...Would you have any comment about any 'addiction' aspect, and whether addiction is always bad or could in theory in some circumstances be acceptable?

Addictions.....genuine and true addictions are always a bad thing.

I have taught others before, as I have some experience with addiction in my past, that addiction can be a sin, a bad habit, stemming from genetics, stemming from the brain, and stemming from spiritual disobedience.  And, it could be a combination of those things.

We are commanded to love the LORD our God with all our heart, soul, strength, and mind/might.

Addictions occur, from whatever source, when we love the behavior with all our heart, soul, strength, and mind/might.

You will know when the behavior becomes an addiction when you see its destructive outcomes and you cannot stop craving the behavior and your craving for your relationship with God wanes.

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Jayne said:

Addictions.....genuine and true addictions are always a bad thing.

I have taught others before, as I have some experience with addiction in my past, that addiction can be a sin, a bad habit, stemming from genetics, stemming from the brain, and stemming from spiritual disobedience.  And, it could be a combination of those things.

We are commanded to love the LORD our God with all our heart, soul, strength, and mind/might.

Addictions occur, from whatever source, when we love the behavior with all our heart, soul, strength, and mind/might.

You will know when the behavior becomes an addiction when you see its destructive outcomes and you cannot stop craving the behavior and your craving for your relationship with God wanes.

@Jayne Thanks for your comments.

I was interested also in @bropro 's remark about the use of 'addicted' in this verse:

1 Corinthians 16:15 (KJV)
15   I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,)

But I guess this is a usage in a different sense.

Some would also say that the urge to get a faith based tattoo is not necessarily in a negatively addicted category either.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.29

9 minutes ago, farouk said:

1 Corinthians 16:15 (KJV)
15   I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But I guess this is a usage in a different sense.

Some would also say that the urge to get a faith based tattoo is not necessarily in a negatively addicted category either.

This is the King James Version.  "Addicted" in the Greek is the word τάσσω. Pronounce it "tas' so".

It means "to appoint, to assign, to put in a certain order."

In the English of the King James times - the word meant "devoted".

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,938
  • Content Per Day:  3.06
  • Days Won:  1

On 2/3/2023 at 11:09 PM, farouk said:

Okay, so on another thread -with restricted posting - there was a topic about addictions.

On the one hand we often rightly seem to think of addictions in terms of alcohol, drug abuse, etc., as being addictions and indeed thus bad.

On the other, it said if we spent more time diligently searching the Word of God as a compelling pursuit, this might in some ways be spoken of as an 'addiction', but the outcome is clearly very good.

I was thinking that sometimes compelling pursuits can have good outcomes.

E.g., some Christians really like getting Bible verse tattoos that they use as witness tools. It's sometimes said that if you get a tattoo, you might not stop at one. Some compelling pursuits can have good outcomes...

(Thoughts, ppl?)

(cc @sweetycakes ; @Rosie1jack2pauline3 )

Bible verse tattoo ? 

How horrendous and scary, make people run away.

• Well Said! 1

@appy FYI.........any wisdom here?

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62

I have not read the thread yet.

1 minute ago, appy said:

I have not read the thread yet.

@appy Some ppl seem to think all tattoos are the result of excess and addictive feeling; others might be willing to admit that a judiciously placed faith based tattoo might be motivated by a desire to testify. (All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have received them readily as witness tools, anyway.)

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62

People are going to get tats whether it is right, wrong, or indifferent. So whether others approve or disapprove, is pretty much meaningless.

Perhaps some serious thought should be given, concerning the medical aspect of them, before rushing out to get one. Contrary to a popular view point, tats from vegetable dyes aren’t necessarily safer, since they also contain pigments or plastics. Tattoo artists can’t tell you what is in those pigments or if there is or is not other unlisted ingredients. What tat artists can tell you, is the basics of what is in each color which usually, what the carriers are and that they contain one or more pigments.

There are some harmful ingredients in certain pigments and dyes that manufactures are not required by law to reveal, not even to tat artists. The tat shops can only tell you what the label says on each container of dye.  Because that is all the information they have, themselves. 

Vegetable dyes were intended for use to enhance the color of vegetables, not injected under the skin. Never mind about natural colors. Tat shops are only required to ensure that they use clean and sterile equipment. Inks and dyes used for tattoos are not regulated by the FDA, and manufacturers aren’t required to print on labels the exact ingredients or where those ingredients came from, due to “trade secrets”.

• Well Said! 1

On 2/18/2023 at 1:04 PM, ladypeartree said:

...see what it will look like when you are old and wrinkly  :whistling:

@ladypeartree Actually it's not only young adults that plan to have it done. Back a bit, torahdelight said:

I was just chatting with my soon to turn 18 y.o. daughter about this today. She wants one soooo bad. ... Unfortunately 2 years ago I told my daughter I'd get one with her on her 18th birthday. It was going to be a star of David on my outer wrist.