• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  777
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,956
  • Content Per Day:  3.04
  • Days Won:  1

Some people say this verse speaks about purgatory :

1Co 3:15  If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Did Paul speak about purgatory with the above verse ?

Imho Paul was speaking about his work in founding and guiding the church of Corinthians, Paul was worried his work wlll be burned [wasted] as the Corinthians have carnal mind, immature, divisive like babes.

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/1-Corinthians-Chapter-3/

If purgatory happens the crucifixion of the Lamb of God Jesus Christ for atonement of sins is for no good. 

In the story of Lazarus and the rich man, the rich suffers and beg Abraham to warn his family because there is no end to his pain. And he surely saw no people escape from there.

What say you.

Edited by R. Hartono
  • Thanks 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.49

Purgatory seems to be at odds with the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man to me.

A place where sinners can somehow earn their way to heaven after death and before Judgment.

So, what did Jesus teach about it?  That is what we should be concerned with in my view (But I'm fallible and may be wrong).

bible, the concept of which is a temporary place were we can earn out way out of sin and into heaven (or a better reincarnation in the Tibetan thought) by our soul's suffering suffering and efforts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,522
  • Content Per Day:  2.69

I cannot say it better than Justin above.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  671
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

To answer the OP: No, purgatory is an RCC concept and a way to sell 'servies' and 'indulgencies'  to the unwary.

There is ONLY ONE that can forgive sins and that is Yeshua/Jesus. No one else. Period.

Ditto . . . I cannot put it any better than what Justin has said above . . . 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,367
  • Content Per Day:  2.75

9 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

1Co 3:15  If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Imho Paul was speaking about his work in founding and guiding the church of Corinthians, Paul was worried his work wlll be burned [wasted] as the Corinthians have carnal mind, immature, divisive like babes.

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/1-Corinthians-Chapter-3/

If purgatory happens the crucifixion of the Lamb of God Jesus Christ for atonement of sins is for no good.

What say you.

With the limited knowledge I have I thought this meant no one that has been saved will attain perfection. Therefore All must be cleansed by fire before entering Heaven.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

9 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

No, Paul was not speaking of purgatory.  There is no such thing as purgatory.  This verse refers to what is known as the Bema Seat Judgment where out works will be tested.  If our works are of God, they will survive the testing and we will be rewarded for them.  If they burn, we will suffer loss, but we will remain saved.  You need to take this verse in context.  Pulling it out of context is how people twist scripture to fit into their false teaching.

1 Corinthians 3:5-15

Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one?  I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase.  So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.  Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.

For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building.  According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it.  For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.  Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is.  If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward.  If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,521
  • Content Per Day:  8.06

36 minutes ago, NConly said:

With the limited knowledge I have I thought this meant no one that has been saved will attain perfection. Therefore All must be cleansed by fire before entering Heaven.

1 Cor 3:15 is about eternal reward, or loss thereof.  That is what "suffer loss" is referring to.  Not salvation.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,367
  • Content Per Day:  2.75

4 minutes ago, FreeGrace said:

1 Cor 3:15 is about eternal reward, or loss thereof.  That is what "suffer loss" is referring to.  Not salvation.

I did not mean one would loose salvation. The verse clearly states no loss of salvation. God is perfect Jesus is perfect No human saved  is perfect. Being imperfect saved beings we must be cleansed by fire to become perfect. does this sound better?

• Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.49

3 minutes ago, NConly said:

No human saved  is perfect.

But is salvation perfect?  If it is, wouldn't it perfect those who are saved without requiring more work to earn it?