AlsoBroken

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

Excellent replies, thank you all. I had to be away the last several days and am just now catching up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  431
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,209
  • Content Per Day:  2.08

{First post} I do not have a TV, and I do not have a CD Player or radio, either. I tossed the transistor radio, and got rid of the television in my room awhile ago. 

I would have kept the transistor radio, But I do not see the need to have more than one radio in one household, at one time. It seems wasteful to me, And it adds to the tension around here. Too many electronics connected devices in one household, At one time, Adds to the tension in any home. They are all connected to other human beings in some way shape, or form, And that is stressful for any normal human being, Let alone someone with Mental Illness Issues.

I tossed the transistor radio, And I will and would only get one again if it was the only radio in the house for emergency situations. 

I do not own a TV nor a radio, nor a CD player anymore. I bought a portable DVD player, and I sent it back recently. It was too much to deal with. Too many unGodly DVDs around me everywhere I go, and unGodly messages when you keep a device like that, Even if you try and not buy them, They are still just, THERE. Even if you have a portable, Miniature DVD Player, They are always just, THERE.  Israel has made covenants with it's enemies, And has made enemies out of it's allies. This goes directly against God, and was the direct destruction of them in the first place.

I will be praying. :th_praying:As for TV, a 19" non smart tv that can not get any apps on it is a great alternative ! ! ! A 19" non smart tv that does not have the capability of putting apps in it, Is a great alternative. You can get a digital antenna, and keep up with your community and local news television, And be {mildly}, Informed of world news and world politics.

A 19" non smart tv is a great alternative, Though small, A great alternative to a smart tv that can load applications on to it. They are still available online, But I do not know for how much longer hopefully forever, But I don't know about that. Blessings. :th_praying:

Edited by believeinHim

{Second} A smart TV is anything that is above 19" or more, and has the capability of adding a paid subscription, or a paid application to it. 

A non smart TV, is anything that is below 19" or more, And has no ability to add paid subscriptions, or paid services to it. It operates on old fashioned cable tv, Or with a digital antenna. 

I highly, strongly, And vehemently suggest a Non Smart TV, Basic Cable or Free Digital Antenna Device, in where you can keep up with your local news stations, And keep up with your local community, Way strongly advise that over paid subscriptions and connected paid applications. Strongly, Suggest that. :th_praying:When we had cable, I also strongly advised to keep Basic Cable, And dump the large packages. Strongly advised that, as well. :th_praying:

Edited by believeinHim

“Does the show depict things that are in direct opposition to God and his rules and try to normalize them?” - FJK 

I would guess that at least 75% of prime time TV and streaming shows DO this and have been doing this for decades. It is how children get brainwashed with the lie (for example) that sexual sin isn’t really bad and God will wink at it. Parents have a strict obligation to do battle with these insidious, subtle, and godless influences on their children. But the reason many parent’s DON’T is because they themselves have been whitewashing what the Bible clearly states is Sinful. Being wishy-washy in my faith, I was guilty of this for many years. 😨 In retrospect I now believe that as Christian believers we need to draw a very FIRM LINE in the sand when it comes to secular entertainment of every kind, refusing to give ANY leeway to the millions of ungodly messages they constantly put out. 

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.92
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, AlsoBroken said:

In retrospect I now believe that as Christian believers we need to draw a very FIRM LINE in the sand when it comes to secular entertainment of every kind, refusing to give ANY leeway to the millions of ungodly messages they constantly put out. 

The main reason I quit subscribing to Netflix and Hulu years ago when they became producers of filth, Never subscribed to Disney but they seem to be the leader of the pack lately,

My personal view about paying subscription streaming services is the same as worshiping in Satan's temple and paying a tithe to him.

There are free streaming services you can use, but you have to be very careful what you view on them, no place is safe from the anti-Christian and pro-Satan sexually deviant behavior that dominates most of the entertainment industry today.

When am otherwise acceptable video catches you by surprise by introducing perversions without need or warning, just turn it off immediately and go to something else.

A little bit of poison mixed into otherwise perfectly good food makes it completely poisonous, not just a little bit poisonous.  A spoonful of sugar may make the medicine go down, but it makes the poison go down as well.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1

{Third}, The thing about Basic Cable is that it used to come with Daystar. It came with Daystar, and it came with the shopping channels. There were limited news stations, and I don't think any of them actually. 

They even offered a package with only one world news station, and not the others. It was $29.99 a month, As opposed to over 100 that we used to pay for the full packages. 

You can not record, and everything is live, Which is the better option for tv viewing in the first place.

I have consistently strongly and highly recommended a non smart tv, And a Basic Cable package with a digital antenna attached. I have strongly and consistently recommended that. It's the best option, and no one else realizes this, I don't think. I don't know what other words to use to make it sound what I am trying to make it sound. I don't know what other words to communicate why it is the best option. You keep the shopping networks, And you also have access to Daystar and way less options for other channels with a Basic Cable subscription, and a Digital Antenna onn a non smart tv. 

Edited by believeinHim

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 4/29/2023 at 5:47 PM, Vine Abider said:

We have prayed on a couple occasions about this, but not very recently and it is perhaps time to get a little more serious with one another and God regarding this! 

Thought you may find this below interesting, VA, as it is a daily devotional I receive from a friend, and part of his ministry is sending these to members of his ministry.

I "coincidentally" received this one this mourning...:)

cf7c8f2a-b7a5-415c-babf-8ddebb4b62ec.jpg.fd84be90c66f0683f74eca0feb832665.jpg

THE WORD FOR YOU TODAY 

Sunday April 30
“The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience.” 1Co 10:13 NLT

Getting real

The problem isn’t just that we sin; it’s that we can’t talk about it. We’re comfortable with tales of people who used to sin, because they have happy endings. Imagine going to a counselor and saying, “I only want to discuss problems I used to have. Please don’t ask me to confess any current ones. I would be embarrassed. I’m afraid you would reject me.” Why would you go to a counselor and try to convince them that you don’t need counsel? People are okay telling a doctor about their physical problem or a mechanic about a problem with their car. Shouldn’t we be okay telling each other when we have a problem? If you want God (or anyone else) to love the real you, you have to work at “getting real.” David was Israel’s best king, but he was a polygamist. He was also a horrible father. He coveted another man’s wife, committing adultery with her, attempting to deceive her husband, ultimately having him murdered, and covering up his crime for a year; so, he was a coveter, an adulterer, a liar, and a murderer. As somebody quipped, “Nobody in those days was walking around wearing a ‘What Would David Do?’ bracelet.” Yet the Bible calls David “a man after [God’s] own heart” (1Sa 13:14 NIV). Is it possible for someone to be struggling so intensely with sin and yearning for God at the same time? Yes. And it’s also why the Bible says, “Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed” (Jas 5:16 NLT). 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Loved it! 1

9 hours ago, FJK said:

The main reason I quit subscribing to Netflix and Hulu years ago when they became producers of filth, Never subscribed to Disney but they seem to be the leader of the pack lately,

My personal view about paying subscription streaming services is the same as worshiping in Satan's temple and paying a tithe to him.

There are free streaming services you can use, but you have to be very careful what you view on them, no place is safe from the anti-Christian and pro-Satan sexually deviant behavior that dominates most of the entertainment industry today.

When am otherwise acceptable video catches you by surprise by introducing perversions without need or warning, just turn it off immediately and go to something else.

A little bit of poison mixed into otherwise perfectly good food makes it completely poisonous, not just a little bit poisonous.  A spoonful of sugar may make the medicine go down, but it makes the poison go down as well.

I agree. There ARE some good movies and series on paid streaming channels, but you have to cull through the lot. Just watched a good series based on a Charles Dickens book, on Brit Box. It’s the only channel I pay for.
Mostly though I just need to turn the thing off, and focus on much healthier pursuits. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,578
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 4/26/2023 at 10:58 AM, AlsoBroken said:

WHAT am I watching, reading, and/or listening to for HOURS that isn’t godly and wastes time?
Since I’ve been basically “retired” and deal with long-Covid chronic fatigue, I have to rest alot and I get caught up in binge-watching shows on my smart TV, just to numb out and/or be entertained. I AM particular about the shows I like and will avoid those that are full of violence, explicit sex, profanity, etc. 

However, I am now feeling convicted of being hooked on a series that has great qualities in every humanistic, secular way (so I’ve excused the occasional profanity) but… it is basically Godless. 

The Word says we are to “be transformed by the renewing of your mind” (Rom 12:2) and to live according to the Spirit and not to the Flesh. I believe that this type of entertainment is of the Flesh and to grow spiritually I need to get rid of it! 

What is your experience in this matter??

Yup! 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,578
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 4/26/2023 at 10:58 AM, AlsoBroken said:

I get caught up in binge-watching shows on my smart TV, just to numb out

Hmmm. Stop it! Just stop it. LOL

Seriously,  you have identified an area, a flaw, a weakness, that makes you vulnerable. You and me and everyone else too.

Perhaps becoming numbed out is not a grand goal for any of us to have. What about becoming filled with something instead? No not cookies.  

How about filling with  amazement over the contents of various Psalms? Perhaps highlighting the poetry, the wisdom, of Psalms and then sharing of them.

Why the intricacy of Psalm 119 alone might fill in a whole year's worth of what would have otherwise become  numb time.  Maybe even start a bog on WCF beginning with Psalm 119 perhaps?

• Loved it! 1