• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,937
  • Content Per Day:  3.07
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, creativemechanic said:

That's not a sensical response.The unequally yoked rule was established AFTER Hosea. Centuries after.

Both correct.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

That's not a sensical response.The unequally yoked rule was established AFTER Hosea. Centuries after.

Well, not quite.

There were several rules about the women that men should and should not marry in the Old Testament.

Most were for priests, but at least one - Exodus 20:14 - applies to all.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

Often times, I find people who take this stance against the rule are people who are dating or considering dating unsaved people so they attack the verse to ease their conscience. Then later they learn that God gives us rules for a reason

A friend I have was once in this situation, despite having sworn off of dating unsaved men. She met one and fell in love, I warned her and she told me the man lives better than most christians she knew. She even insulted me.

Time passed and same friend married guy and began griping about how he wont stop doing this and wont stop doing that

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  233
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Birthday:  10/20/1957

On 5/6/2023 at 10:57 AM, believeinHim said:

Unfortunately because of my illness, And me being an advanced aged unmarried female, An advanced aged unmarried and unwed Christian female, Unwed Christian woman,

Most of my Christian female friends from home school are already married with kids of their own. This leaves no place for me to interact with women who are Christians and living, the 'normal' Christian life. This is what I want, but there is no room for me in it.

Kids is not a good idea for me as I am dealing with a Serious Mental Illness. Being friends with women who are not Christians, is not a good idea for me, Because I am a Christain.

I can't really lead a 'normal Christian life' with a Serious Mental Illness, And too many Christians do not understand Serious Mental Illness, as in, No, it is not demons, And it is a clinical, medical condition in the brain. I don't know what I am supposed to do, or where I am supposed to be. 

You will always have a friend in Jesus and there are plenty of Christians who love and will befriend those who need them.

Don’t believe the lie that you are alone or unlovable.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  201
  • Topics Per Day:  0.37
  • Content Count:  3,427
  • Content Per Day:  6.24
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

15 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Here's an interesting discussion of just that: https://sermons.logos.com/sermons/221657-ripped-out-of-context:-unequally-yoked

I have always heard this verse directly associated with marriage.  What do others think?

So I'm going to repost this comment and link I provided, because no one addressed it.  Here's an excerpt from that article:

Ripped Out of Context: Unequally Yoked

1. In verses 11, 13, and 7:2 (before and after, Paul says to the Corinthians, “Open up your hearts to us.” He wanted them to stop listening to these men who were leading them away from Christ to another Christ, to an idol…
2. It’s in this context, Paul says, “Do not be bound together with unbelievers” or “Don’t be unequally yoked with unbelievers.” He is showing them exactly who they are joining themselves with. Not with Christ. Not with His representatives. But with unbelievers… With idolaters… And they need to get away from them so that they can grow in their holiness…
3. So Paul is not saying, “Do not marry an unbeliever.” He is saying, “Stop joining your hearts to these men who are teaching you false things and leading you away from Christ into idolatry. As they listened to these men and followed them, they were joining in with these false teachers in their work. They were having fellowship with them instead of Paul and the other apostles… This is what Paul is showing them in this verse within its context…
4. So with these things said, I do want to make sure I am not misunderstood about the point that I am making. What I am saying is that I don’t believe this passage prohibits marrying a non-Christian… I am NOT saying that it is a good thing (or a wise thing) to do so…
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

On 5/6/2023 at 11:57 AM, believeinHim said:

Unfortunately because of my illness, And me being an advanced aged unmarried female, An advanced aged unmarried and unwed Christian female, Unwed Christian woman,

Most of my Christian female friends from home school are already married with kids of their own. This leaves no place for me to interact with women who are Christians and living, the 'normal' Christian life. This is what I want, but there is no room for me in it.

Kids is not a good idea for me as I am dealing with a Serious Mental Illness. Being friends with women who are not Christians, is not a good idea for me, Because I am a Christain.

I can't really lead a 'normal Christian life' with a Serious Mental Illness, And too many Christians do not understand Serious Mental Illness, as in, No, it is not demons, And it is a clinical, medical condition in the brain. I don't know what I am supposed to do, or where I am supposed to be. 

Hi @believeinHim I do love the passage about Beulah land - married unto God (Isaiah 62.4) - which can be a real blessing to all believers, whatever their individual circumstances.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

A partnership is a folly filled concept, and the only type of ship that will not float. If foolish enough to enter into one be sure to plan formally the exit from it, doing so in writing signed by all in the partnership. That includes marriage, fact never make marriage a partnership, make it a corporate endeavor with one CEO/President. An entity that has well defined articles of incorporation. Again including method of termination of the corporation basically a pre divorce settlement or "prenupt".

Why when two are Christian? Because two Christians will indeed disagree and may use threat of dissolving of the union as a tool to gain leverage in an argument over the marriage. Having a "prenupt" sets the clear end and eliminates that leverage, leading to a method of resolving even serious differences between the parties without having to go to  the ultimate defeat for each a divorce.

A prenup is a very  painful process for it really is a divorce settlement negotiation. It is so painful that once done I do think neither party involved will ever want to have to revisit it again nor execute it's terms, least not without a very determined effort to salvage the marriage.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Why is it when God says no, man looks for a work around; a way to justify why they do so even when they are told not to?  No is no, plain and simple.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,405
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

1 hour ago, Vine Abider said:

So I'm going to repost this comment and link I provided, because no one addressed it.  Here's an excerpt from that article:

I was kind of hoping others would weigh in before I did. I feel like the article is on target because going with what comes before and after it, it feels a little out of place talking about marriage but fits in looking at the bigger picture of II Corinthians as a whole where Paul is speaking against others who were undermining him at the church in Corinth.

I also see a possible echo of I Corinthians 5 in it. He spoke about a man committing incest there and told the Corinthians that to avoid wicked people entirely they'd need to leave the world (I'm tempted to go to the moon a lot these days. Anyone want to come along?), but that they had to be especially strict with regards to people who claimed to be Christians yet lived in sin. He made it pretty clear there. "Don't even eat with them." and "Expel the wicked from among you."

Could Paul have been reinforcing that policy in relation to the so called "super apostles" who were undermining his position at the time he wrote II Corinthians? I couldn't really say.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

2 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Ripped Out of Context: Unequally Yoked

1. In verses 11, 13, and 7:2 (before and after, Paul says to the Corinthians, “Open up your hearts to us.” He wanted them to stop listening to these men who were leading them away from Christ to another Christ, to an idol…
2. It’s in this context, Paul says, “Do not be bound together with unbelievers” or “Don’t be unequally yoked with unbelievers.” He is showing them exactly who they are joining themselves with. Not with Christ. Not with His representatives. But with unbelievers… With idolaters… And they need to get away from them so that they can grow in their holiness…
3. So Paul is not saying, “Do not marry an unbeliever.” He is saying, “Stop joining your hearts to these men who are teaching you false things and leading you away from Christ into idolatry. As they listened to these men and followed them, they were joining in with these false teachers in their work. They were having fellowship with them instead of Paul and the other apostles… This is what Paul is showing them in this verse within its context…
4. So with these things said, I do want to make sure I am not misunderstood about the point that I am making. What I am saying is that I don’t believe this passage prohibits marrying a non-Christian… I am NOT saying that it is a good thing (or a wise thing) to do so…

Ah, I missed your response the first time around. I don't find any issue with it. 

My own stance regarding marriage is a simple one: whomever the Lord joins together, let no man or woman stand in the way. Much like how a servant falls or stands by the Lord, so too does marriage. 

My comments in the topic pertain to being a friend to our neighbor no matter who they are. I've pointed out how the Son of God was our friend even when we were His enemies. He blessed us, calling us to Him, and so we are called according to the blessing just as Peter wrote in the scriptures. 

Love our neighbor as ourselves. It's an honor to love others as Jesus Christ loves us. I can't speak for others who are defiled by what they encounter. I can only speak for myself. :)

• Thumbs Up 2