• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.38
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

2 minutes ago, Philologos said:

I partially agree with that- but specifically, instruction is teaching someone “how to,” and instilling belief is teaching “why,” or “what.” 

I really can’t see that doctrine is the same as instruction.
One point I’ll use is that the Bible teaches us “how to” be “one,” when we meet; it explains details on how to vet those who are not in the spirit. There is a doctrine of unity, with instructions- in 35+ years, I’ve never seen biblical instruction in this. It’s only presented as historical and is given no relevance in the churches. 

Information and instruction are different. Doctrine will tell you what it is, but instruction will actually bring about unity and organically cause the unfaithful to find religion elsewhere. 

Scripture warns against following various doctrines, yet we focus on it; scripture also tells us to seek unity, but we avoid it. We are literally trying to use doctrine to create unity- I don’t know that doctrine can accomplish that.

You have made some very good points, here.

I would add that the Body of Christ does meet in places where both unity and maturity are the primary focus…most importantly while operating in the context of Christ the Head being Central.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.91
  • Days Won:  0

Doctrines are bulletin board ideas

Instruction is direct information about how to do something

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  0.91

Doctrine = Need to be Saved 

Instruction = tells you how to be Saved

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,878
  • Content Per Day:  8.05
  • Days Won:  77
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Instruction is of itself the giving of information... what kind of instructions follows: whether how to, to do, or etc...  Doctrine is Biblical information given

doc·trine [dóktrin]
(plural doc·trines) 

1.  rule or principle: a rule or principle that forms the basis of a belief, theory, or policy  
2.  ideas taught as truth: a body of ideas, particularly in religion, taught to people as truthful or correct  

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,467
  • Topics Per Day:  1.25
  • Content Count:  27,824
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  131
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

@Philologos  The core fundamental doctrines of Faith is what the true body of Christ should be unified over.  However, in recent decades, the ecumenical has forsaken core doctrines in seeking 'unity'.  The problem with this is the very fact that some doctrines cannot be comprised, because they are fundamental to what is salvation.

If you study past revivals, you'll see many disagreements on doctrinal issues between leaders, but that didn't stop true revivals. 

The Moravian Revival that lasted for 100 years ... known as the revival that set in motion every revival that followed ... had many different parties with different non-essential beliefs within their move, however, they learned to put those non-salvational issues over unity.   Such is the quote in my signature ... In Essentials -- UNITY, in Non-Essentials -- LIBERTY, but in all things -- LOVE!

Be blessed,

George

1 minute ago, George said:

@Philologos  The core fundamental doctrines of Faith is what the true body of Christ should be unified over.  However, in recent decades, the ecumenical has forsaken core doctrines in seeking 'unity'.  The problem with this is the very fact that some doctrines cannot be comprised, because they are fundamental to what is salvation.

If you study past revivals, you'll see many disagreements on doctrinal issues between leaders, but that didn't stop true revivals. 

The Moravian Revival that lasted for 100 years ... known as the revival that set in motion every revival that followed ... had many different parties with different non-essential beliefs within their move, however, they learned to put those non-salvational issues over unity.   Such is the quote in my signature ... In Essentials -- UNITY, in Non-Essentials -- LIBERTY, but in all things -- LOVE!

Be blessed,

George

This is key when such members of a local expression of the body are out in the world going about their earthly business.

We do not deal with differences, outside of the core…rather we express Christ as Lord and Savior.

The love of the brethren turned the world upside down.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,987
  • Content Per Day:  12.26
  • Days Won:  31

3 minutes ago, Alive said:

This is key when such members of a local expression of the body are out in the world going about their earthly business.

We do not deal with differences, outside of the core…rather we express Christ as Lord and Savior.

The love of the brethren turned the world upside down.

I think doctrine and unity go together. For  example, in the Acts, it was the truth that brought ppl together in the early church; and they faced persecution for it, together.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,221
  • Content Per Day:  1.49
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

9 minutes ago, George said:

However, in recent decades, the ecumenical has forsaken core doctrines in seeking 'unity'.  The problem with this is the very fact that some doctrines cannot be comprised, because they are fundamental to what is salvation.

Agreed. But then the problem becomes about agreeing on which doctrines are fundamental, and which are not. And round and round we go.

The most controversial doctrines generally revolve around the teachings of Paul. For example, some Messianic-types in my local community refuse to read or discuss Galatians.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

6 minutes ago, George said:

Be blessed,

George

True, but if the needless different doctrine were removed, imagine what we can do, unified. 

I used to be asked by fellow believers if I was saved… now, I’m just quizzed on my doctrinal positions & bible translation… lol, I’m always ignored once I answer those dividing questions.

Honestly, I think if we major in loving God and our neighbors as Jesus taught, we are going to be used of our Lord for the yet lost.

Core doctrine of course is important and we are nearly all closer than is often depicted.

• Interesting! 1