• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.31
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.88
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

3 hours ago, FreeGrace said:

To equate the two inserts works into salvation, which is unbiblical.  In fact, the NT is full of verses that encourage believers to be obedient.  If obedience is part of faith, those verses have no meaning.  Believers must grow up spiritually.  That occurs from obedience.  

The bolded words refer to putting one's faith or trust in the Savior. 

Again, "obedience to the faith" is a phrase about putting your faith/trust in the Savior.

Excellent question!  John 5:24 - “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

This verse teaches WHEN a person possesses eternal life; WHEN they believe.

John 10:28 - I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.

This verse teaches that believers are given eternal life (Jn 5:24) and shall never perish, meaning they are eternally secure from the MOMENT of faith in Christ.  That's assurance;  believing what Jesus says.

In a word, being faith-full.

1 Co 4:2 Moreover, it is REQUIRED in stewards, that a man be found faithful.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,473
  • Content Per Day:  8.04
  • Days Won:  0

21 hours ago, Mr. M said:

In a word, being faith-full.

1 Co 4:2 Moreover, it is REQUIRED in stewards, that a man be found faithful.

Yes, I fully agree with this.

• Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,625
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

On 4/8/2024 at 10:07 PM, Mr. M said:

What does fellowship with the Lord

mean, in terms of abiding?

John 15 is about abiding in the vine and bearing fruit.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.31
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.88
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, farouk said:

John 15 is about abiding in the vine and bearing fruit.

Yes, specifically, asking and receiving.

John 15:

7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

9 “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. 

10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

This is the faith of the Son!

The apostle John presents this as evidence of having eternal life.

1 John 5:

11 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 

12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 

13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

14 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us

15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.

Our assurance is in this truth:

John 10:17 Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. 

1 John 3:

16 By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 

17 But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?

18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. 

19 And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him. 

20 For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. 

21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 

22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight

23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment.

24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

John 10:17 Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again. 

This truth is abiding faith by obeying His commandments:

John 14:

12 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. 

13 And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 

14 If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.

15 If you love Me, keep My commandments. 

16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 

21 He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.

23 Jesus answered and said to him, If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. 

24 He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me.

Our faith must be the faith of the Son, not as the world gives...

John 8:29 And He who sent Me is with Me. The Father has not left Me alone, for I always do those things that please Him.

Saving faith, abiding faith is not about taking a couple of statements by the Lord and fabricating a doctrine of eternal assurance. It is about answering one question in sincerity:

Do you love me? Feed my sheep.

Let your petitions be known as an intercessor on their behalf.

"As obedient children"! This is to have eternal life in you.

1 Peter 1:

13 Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ

14 as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance;

15 but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct

16 because it is written, “Be holy, for I am holy.”

Edited by Mr. M