• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,209
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

Is it doctrinal or blasphemous to wear or to refuse to wear the image of the cross as jewelry?

Millions wear some form of the Christian cross as jewelry.  Some versions are made of simple wood hung about the neck with string.  Others are of solid gold or other precious metal using a chain of similar metal to suspend it upon the neck of the wearer.  

BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Does exhibiting a cross on one's person imply that person is a devout Christian or does it simply afford the wearer of another jewelry design?

Does one have to be born again to wear a cross?    Or is it blaspheme to wear one when a person hasn't made a personal commitment to Christ?

DOES IT MEAN ANYTHING AT ALL?

In Communist China one can purchase a Christian cross as jewelry.  Does it imply one is rebellious against the Communist government?  

Does wearing a cross imply the respective government of the wearer is in direct opposition to Biblical standards?   For instance, is it inappropriate for an LGBTQ person to wear a Christian cross as jewelry since that religion expressly forbids such a life style?

Is it appropriate for a non-believer to wear a cross as jewelry?

The political personal and popular possibilities may be endless.

What is your opinion on the matter?

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

The scripture does not support that Christ died on a cross.. Also who would want to wear on there person what their love one died from? 

Guest AFlameOfFire

I am married, but I don't have a wedding ring and a believer in Christ but I don't own a cross necklace for myself, but that's just me. 

So I don't  have much of an opinion on what others might do, but I don't believe that when Jesus said to take up ones cross that he ever meant for anyone to do that in the form of a necklace (obviously)

Some might wear it unashamedly as a symbol of their faith, even as a Jew might wear a necklace with the star of David (a symbol of which religion they might identify with)

There is nothing wrong with glorying in the cross of Christ

Gal 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

And so that might be the significance they give to it when they wear the cross. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  898
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

18 hours ago, Know Jah said:

The scripture does not support that Christ died on a cross.. 

Christ died on a cross.

Matthew 27 : 11-56

NIV

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew 27%3A11-56&version=NIV

KJV

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew 27%3A11-56&version=KJV

John chapter 19

NIV

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 19&version=NIV

KJV

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 19&version=NIV

Thanks.

Edited by just_abc
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  898
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

On 10/20/2023 at 2:27 AM, choir loft said:

Does exhibiting a cross on one's person imply that person is a devout Christian or does it simply afford the wearer of another jewelry design?

um.... I am thinking perhaps sometimes it might be a way of letting others know one is a Christian..  especially in places / situations where Christians might be a minority?

Or perhaps a way to be a witness? (or um something along that lines?  sorry not sure how to word what I mean :b: )

Just some thoughts.  

Thanks.

Edited by just_abc

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.92

I've been giving some thought to this.

I think it might depend on why you're wearing it.  Some people use it as an expression of identity in their faith to present to the world, others as a graven image the worship, a worldly graven image no different than a idol which is forbidden to worship or some kind of magical talisman to ward off evil or whatever without regard to its true meaning.

FWIW, I've seen use of the inverted cross as a satanic symbol in opposition to God.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

21 hours ago, Know Jah said:

The scripture does not support that Christ died on a cross.. Also who would want to wear on there person what their love one died from? 

The scripture uses the word, cross, about 28 or so times in the New Testament.  It is the Koine Greek word, σταυρός [stauros], and it means a "pole or cross used for capital punishment."  Some believe the cross to be one piece with two perpendicular sides and others believe it to be a pole with the arm piece attached at the crucifixion.  Either way - the standard shape.

And when Jesus explained to Peter that Peter, himself, would be crucified, he said that Peter's arms would be stretched "out".  That implies the traditional cross that people think of.

As for wearing an instrument of death around one's neck, it isn't the torture device that is heralded by the wearing of the cross, but the glorious atonement of the blood of Jesus Christ, that Lamb of God, that is heralded.  The atonement saves us.  

I have many crosses.  I wear them as a sign of atonement and the glory of Christ.

• This is Worthy 2

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,137
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

4 hours ago, just_abc said:

Indeed. The Lord was subjected to Roman crucifixion; how the Romans carried out that horrific method of execution is a matter of historical record. It involved an upright pole to which a cross beam was attached, forming a cross. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,128
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 10/27/2023 at 11:24 AM, Know Jah said:

I think that would depend on the translation one was using.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,039
  • Content Per Day:  1.62

Many people wear the cross because they think it looks cool. Rappers and others simply like the look of it. 

I wear a cross because I'm proud to be a Christian and I like to advertise my faith to those around me. Some see the cross as a terrible symbol of execution but I see it as a beautiful symbol of love from Jesus to humanity. I'll never be ashamed for a moment to wear a cross and nothing would ever make me stop wearing it. 

• Thumbs Up 2