• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

I agree.

More on the historical angle which relates to scripture: crucifixion was practiced by many cultures and civilizations during that time. The goal of crucifixion was an agonizing death, which we know our Lord suffered for sake. 

The Romans favored a method which was particularly brutal: stretching the arms of the condemned upward to prevent effective breathing; this also causes tremendous pain. A cross-beam attached to the upright pole served to lift the arms of the condemned upward and outward. 

Hence, a cross.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,039
  • Content Per Day:  1.62
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/27/2023 at 10:24 AM, Know Jah said:

The scripture does not support that Christ died on a cross.. Also who would want to wear on there person what their love one died from? 

What makes you think he wasn't killed on a cross when that WAS the method the Romans used and 2,000 years of history say it's a cross. I know modern cults in the last 200 years have denied it, but do you have any evidence?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.92
  • Days Won:  1

On 10/27/2023 at 10:24 AM, Know Jah said:

The scripture does not support that Christ died on a cross..

Then how do you say he was killed, how he died?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

Doctrinally, the cross is immensely important; the Lord Jesus was 'obedient unto death, even the death of the cross' (Philippians 2).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

On 10/28/2023 at 10:30 AM, Jayne said:

I have many crosses.  I wear them as a sign of atonement and the glory of Christ.

@Jayne Sounds like you treat it as an important doctrinal symbol and this seems like why you wear it as a kind of witness tool, right?

Some ppl - maybe as you do - wear them as jewelry. Others relish the symbol as a tattoo; Heather A was drawn to it for 5 years before finally becoming a tattooed woman at Reno:

Heather A. said:

I waited 5 years before getting it. .. Reno also has a lot of tattoo places. Carson City has a few. Most people travel to Reno or Las Vegas for it. .. I have 1 tattoo and I got it in Reno. .. I do have a cross tattoo.

christianityboard dot com

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,209
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

On 10/27/2023 at 12:24 PM, Know Jah said:

The scripture does not support that Christ died on a cross.. Also who would want to wear on there person what their love one died from? 

Depends upon which interpretation you subscribe to.

Most Christian churches believe Christ died on a wooden construction of two beams of wood arranged perpendicular to each other.  Some add a third piece to their logo - a sort of foot rest for the poor soul being tortured to death.

Some translations suggest Jesus was hung on a single vertical shaft of wood - also called a stake in their verses.

Gnostics generally don't believe Jesus was crucified at all, but that an innocent man was substituted for Him when He dropped His cross on the way to Golgotha.  Gnostic scripture claims that Jesus stood in the crowd, watching a substitute agonize in His place, and laughed.

Mohammad [pbuh] adopted the Gnostic point of view when he declared in his Qur'an (recitations) that Jesus didn't die on the cross, but that a substitute died instead.

My point in this thread is to ask, not about the Biblical record, but about the efficacy and/or appropriate wearing of the Christian cross as jewelry.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,209
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

On 10/27/2023 at 12:24 PM, Know Jah said:

Others have here pointed out that scripture does indeed testify of the death of Jesus upon a cross.

There are also several secular records of it.  

The historian Josephus as well as Pliney the younger are two worthy of mention.  Some of these records go into more detail than any Biblical statement.  For instance, it is written that on the day Jesus died in Jerusalem there were atmospheric disturbances as far west as Rome.  Nearly everyone in the Empire realized something of great divine importance had happened though they may not have known what it was.

Nobody rejects the secular records of the life and times of Julius Caesar, yet there are far more of these telling of Jesus' miracles, message, death and resurrection.  Why are these facts denied?   They're denied for the same reason most will reject God's generous offer of eternal life.  It isn't evidence that's the issue, it's suppression of evidence that's before us.

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. (John 3:19)

You have heard it said, Judge not that you be not judged.  I say this according to scripture that it is SINNERS who judge themselves unworthy of grace to be saved.  (Acts 13:46) 

Saints don't have to raise their little finger against them for SINNERS are their own judge.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

In high school I wore a simple cross made from nails on a necklace. I stopped one I graduated.

Not for religious reasons, i just found it got in the way to much at work, and that is still true.

Personally I don't think it matters either way....I don't see anywhere in the Bible that specifies either way. So if one wants to wear one to remember Christ then I see no issue. The same if they don't want to wear one. No judgement here either way.

If one were to turn it into an idol and worship it, then there might be an issue. But I don't think most people do this. Most people I know don't anyway.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,127
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

we were not allowed to wear jewelry when I was working in the field with Xerox.   Too much chance of shorting something out.   We fought over wedding wrings for a couple of months before we won out and they agreed to let us wear them.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

On 10/30/2023 at 5:23 AM, choir loft said:

Mohammad [pbuh] adopted the Gnostic point of view when he declared in his Qur'an (recitations) that Jesus didn't die on the cross, but that a substitute died instead.

Ug. You gave mohammed honor by using the peace be upon him honorific that muslims use. 

• Thumbs Up 1