• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,097
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/28/2023 at 8:58 PM, JohnDW said:

We will get legally married. But we are living away from family for at least another year and in a different country so want to wait to make it legal until we’re able to have proper wedding. But we don’t want to live together unless God will bless and recognise our commitment to each other. Nothing sinister. Just circumstance and wanting to be right with God if we live with each other.

Well JohnDW, now you can see what is what. Some, like me, put God's requirements first and fulfill the state's requirements if they have to. Others put the State first and call this union illegal based on the State. It's good to hear both sides.

I have a comment that will not be accepted by all. The picture of Christ and the Church made by marriage does not encompass the ACT of Marriage. Ephesians 5 deals with an already established marriage. It does not deal with the BRIDE but the WIFE.

And there is another consideration. In our Western society, just on a purely human level, the BRIDE wants two things. She wants the crowd to know that her husband wanted her above all other women. And she wants her day. Whether in grand white style, or hippie clothes on a beach, most women want this great day as theirs.

Whatever your decision is, make sure you give her her day in a public way as far as you can afford - even if you consummate the marriage earlier in God's way.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,830
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Jesus Christ made the distinction between being married and just shacking up when he showed the woman at the well her sins. He told her that she had had five husbands and the man she was with now - she was not married to.  Jesus understood the difference.

Paul said that we are to obey our governments [unless they compel us to sin]. The US government requires a marriage license, similar to a hunting or fishing license.  

It is not sinful to get a license, so I believe in getting one.  All that is required is someone with the power invested in them to declare a couple married to sign the license.  A clergyman, a justice of the peace, a ship captain, etc.

The fancy clothes, the expensive suppers and parties afterward, the invitations, and all that  - is totally unnecessary to be married.

To be legally married - all that is required is a signed piece of paper.  

Just do something simple - super simple and legal.  Later, you can have whatever kind of expensive and large extravaganze that you want.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,658
  • Content Per Day:  8.03
  • Days Won:  77
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

@JohnDW I believe you have got really good council from the family... we are instructed by The Lord

1 Thessalonians 5:22 (KJV)

[22] Abstain from all appearance of evil.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  0

So I think the answer is NO. Scripture says repeatedly to obey the authorities. If your government doesn't require any formal ceremony, then by all means get married with God's blessing. My state in America has what's called "common law" marriage which means if a man simply lives with a woman for 6 months, they are now legally married. If your country allows that, then awesome. However if it doesn't and it does require you to go through legal formalities, then you need to follow your local laws because scripture tells us to. If you don't follow the local laws, then you aren't married, your living in fornication.