IGNORED

Amos 8:11 the prophecy of the disappearance of the Word of God, has this been fulfilled ?

R. Hartono

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,937
  • Content Per Day:  3.07
  • Days Won:  1

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Amos 8&version=KJV

Amos 811 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:

12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it.

That will be preceded by the darkening of the earth where God will turn the feast of man into mourning and songs into lamentation

Amos 8 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord God, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day:

10 And I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; and I will bring up sackcloth upon all loins, and baldness upon every head; and I will make it as the mourning of an only son, and the end thereof as a bitter day.

Has this beeen fulfilled in history ?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,127
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I have considered it to be the time period between Malachi and John the Baptist.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.82
  • Days Won:  0

14 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

That will be preceded by the darkening of the earth

I do not recall this happening. Where can I read about when this occurred.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,943
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

3 hours ago, NConly said:

I do not recall this happening. Where can I read about when this occurred.

Some scholars cite a 400 year interval between the last prophecy of the Old Testament and the first prophecy of the New Testament as a famine of hearing the words of the Lord, calling them the silent years. 

There was darkness over the land from noon to 3pm while Christ was suffering on the Cross, but that doesn't fit the sequence in question.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  1,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.82

5 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Some scholars cite a 400 year interval between the last prophecy of the Old Testament and the first prophecy of the New Testament as a famine of hearing the words of the Lord, calling them the silent years. 

There was darkness over the land from noon to 3pm while Christ was suffering on the Cross, but that doesn't fit the sequence in question.

Ok thanks for this info.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  969
  • Content Per Day:  2.94
  • Days Won:  2

On 12/27/2023 at 3:40 AM, R. Hartono said:

Amos 811 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:

12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it.

That will be preceded by the darkening of the earth where God will turn the feast of man into mourning and songs into lamentation

Amos 8 And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord God, that I will cause the sun to go down at noon, and I will darken the earth in the clear day:

10 And I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; and I will bring up sackcloth upon all loins, and baldness upon every head; and I will make it as the mourning of an only son, and the end thereof as a bitter day.

Here is a thread I posted on the topic…

Jesus predicted a time of darkness was coming when no man could work in John 9:4.

Jesus also said the time would come when the children of the bridegroom would be fasting when He was taken from them in Mark 2:19-20.

We are told in the Old testament that there was to come a famine, not of food but of hearing the words of God in Amos 8:11-12 ...

11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord:
12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it."

Now one could take that to mean that “not hearing” the words of God could mean not “comprehending or not understanding” the words of God. But it could also mean a time like a dry spell, of men not hearing the audible voice of God; as did the Old Testament prophets.

This has happened before, as we are told there was a period of time where the word of the Lord was precious and there was no open vision in 1 Samuel 3:1 “And the child Samuel ministered unto the Lord before Eli. And the word of the Lord was precious in those days; there was no open vision."

And I believe this is what Jesus was talking about when he said to the people, that they would seek one of the days of the Son of man, and shall not see it in Luke 17:22-24 “22 And he said unto the disciples, The days will come, when ye shall desire to see one of the days of the Son of man, and ye shall not see it.23 And they shall say to you, See here; or, see there: go not after them, nor follow them.24 For as the lightning, that lighteneth out of the one part under heaven, shineth unto the other part under heaven; so shall also the Son of man be in his day.”

Notice Jesus says His coming is not limited to a single individual claiming to speak as Christ, or for Christ; Jesus warned against this in the above verses.

Paul said in 1 Corinthians 13:9-10 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.” 

I believe this time of spiritual famine and this period of darkness would include God not directly speaking to men with an audible voice as He did with the old testament prophets and apostles. These men were individually sent by God, and commanded to speak the words given them by God.

This does not mean the gifts of God have ceased, it just means God would be silent during this dark period of time from speaking by commandment to men.

It is important to make this distinction of men speaking by the commandment of God,and men speaking by understanding and wisdom given to them by the Holy Spirit into what is already written.

A person can be anointed by God’s Spirit and have Christ dwelling in them, and be a chosen minister of God; but it does not mean everything they speak is by commandment from God. Paul gives us a good example of this when on certain topics Paul said he spoke by permission and not of commandment in 1 Corinthians 7:6. 

And just because someone claims, or feels like God has spoken to them, and that they believe they were sent by God, it does not necessarily make it so. We are told to try the spirits. As Jesus warned many would come in His name and claim to be speaking in the person of Christ.

We were also warned that many false prophets would come into the world and also deceive many.

In the scriptures we see God audibly speaking to certain men and commanding them to go to a certain people or place, God sending them personally. And God also commanded them to speak the words He gave to them to speak. Though many may claim to be speaking by the command of God, I do not see this happening today, nor for a long time now.

That’s not to say that God does not send forth His Spirit in the name of Christ, and also send forth ministering spirits to guide His people during this dark period and time of spiritual famine. As that is what God was showing in a similitude of guiding the children of Israel in the wilderness, by day with the pillar of a cloud, and by night in the pillar of fire.

Just as it is written, He makes His angels spirits, and His ministers a flame of fire. After being illuminated by the Holy Spirit we are called to be lights in a dark world; but that does not mean everything we say is directly spoken from the mouth of God by commandment. 

And so, even though there was a dark period and a time of famine of hearing the words of God as prophesied by the prophets and Jesus; I believe there is also a time when God’s silence shall be broken, as is written in Isaiah 42:13-14 

13 The Lord shall go forth as a mighty man, he shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: he shall cry, yea, roar; he shall prevail against his enemies.14 I have long time holden my peace; I have been still, and refrained myself: now will I cry like a travailing woman; I will destroy and devour at once.”

We are told in Joel 3:16 and Amos 1:2that “The Lord will roar from Zion, and utter his voice from Jerusalem;”

When we are told that God shall utter His voice from Jerusalem, I believe it also means God shall utter His voice from the mouth of His people, whom He refers to as Jerusalem, and as Zion, and as the holy city. 

This is when God’s people shall speak with a unified voice, like the sound of many waters. Isaiah 52:8-10

8 Thy watchmen shall lift up the voice; with the voice together shall they sing: for they shall see eye to eye, when the Lord shall bring again Zion.9 Break forth into joy, sing together, ye waste places of Jerusalem: for the Lord hath comforted his people, he hath redeemed Jerusalem.10 The Lord hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.”

The second coming of Christ is also the second coming of the Word of God, and not only does He come with his saints, but He also comes “in”all His saints; like Living waters “in”the clouds of heaven. 

Peace and God bless

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Content Per Day:  1.02

On 12/27/2023 at 4:40 AM, R. Hartono said:

Amos 8 is in regards to unjust Israel during the end times. Another correlation in the Word with this is Isaiah 28:18-20.

Isaiah 28:18 And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it. 19 From the time that it goeth forth it shall take you: for morning by morning shall it pass over, by day and by night: and it shall be a vexation only to understand the report. 20 For the bed is shorter than that a man can stretch himself on it: and the covering narrower than that he can wrap himself in it.