Burial Question

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.61
  • Days Won:  1

My instructions are to just get rid of the body in the cheapest and most expedient fashion, no funeral or service or any sort of observation to be held.

That body won't be me, it's just where I used to live and should be treated the same as some old house I used to live in that has deteriorated and fallen apart, just get rid of the thing and then forget about it.

This is my attitude about it, not to disrespect others who think differently.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

2 hours ago, FJK said:

My instructions are to just get rid of the body in the cheapest and most expedient fashion, no funeral or service or any sort of observation to be held.

That body won't be me, it's just where I used to live and should be treated the same as some old house I used to live in that has deteriorated and fallen apart, just get rid of the thing and then forget about it.

My sister just did that last year.   Had her stepson do the arrangements and asked my daughter to help take care of disposing of her earthly things because her son has medical problems and can't.  I thought not having a funeral would bother me, but so far it hasn't.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  669
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0

On 1/7/2024 at 7:59 AM, FJK said:

Well, I have thought about this a lot lately. Some of our friends have been cremated (which my wife and I will do), BUT, they did not have an memorial service. That made it hard for their family and friends to have 'closure', and to remember the deceased family member/friend for their life, and how they blessed and helped people around them, and of course 'how they served Jesus' during their earthly lives'.  I think that it is un-fair to friends and family  to deny them the chance to remember their loved ones and have closure of their relationships . . . . 

Admittedly, some peoples lives really don't have much to celebrate, but still, this is a Christian forum and we all should have some kind of life style that could be celebrated, and really turn people's hearts toward the Lord.

Which brings up another thing I just thought of . . . what happens to others on this forum when one of the Worthy members die?  I suspect that they just are gone and nobody knows why? Hummmm . . . . . 

Ray . . . 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,708
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, The funeral industry has changed! Changed dramatically  in the past 45 years.  It is now a  massive corporate venture dominated by one entity. That entity has holdings in mortuaries cemeteries casket manufacturers, chemical suppliers and yes crematories.

Today cremation without any services or disposition of the cremated remains will cost $3,000 or more. There are still a few independent funeral homes and crematories left. They will charge closer to $800  US dollars.

When I started in the industry  back in 1960 the firm that employed me advertised a complete funeral and burial  for $480 US. The major change in the industry occurred when the FTC got involved. That involvement forced  us to  list every item we provided. Immediately we found, whoa, we lose money  unless we raise our prices dramatically  to accommodate all the new requirements of US federal government agency  the FTC.

Now as to cremation itself - a matter of personal choice only. Why there was a time (and still is) the body would be laid on a catacomb "shelf", allowed to decompose and decay, then after a year the eldest son would have the duty/honor of cleaning the remains down to clean bones and placing what was left in a pot, an ossuary pot of clay, and then moved to a new location usually within a cemetery  or columbarium.

What is important though  is to not ignore that death is real, that the separation from the person that has died is painful; grief and grieving is  a process, one that must be worked through.  The many variations of different culture's "rituals" tend to address that.

A lifetime of  being very near death has taught me that the grief associated with it when not faced and addressed  remains, it does not go away. I have aided many a person who found, even years after a loss, their own personal need in addressing their lingering grief.

One does not have to spend vast sums of money to address  that issue. Not addressing it can however cost one lots of money in many ways, from health issues to lifestyle  and general quality of life that too often leads to suicides. Those suicides do affect yet more people that then have to address their grief.

Rituals have their good purpose.  They do give structure to handling the real emotion that affects our  living body mind spirit and soul.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

On 1/6/2024 at 4:03 PM, itty-bitty lamb said:

Is there a right or wrong way to be buried when we die for a Christian? i have some people in my family who want to be cremated, and then my husband wants to be cremated and his ashes scattered over the ocean. i have always wondered if it matters to God how we bury our bodies? What are some people's opinions on this?

Let me tell you WHY cremation is not a sin and why is does not matter - in spiritual terms - how we deal with the flesh of our dead.

I know a very small amount of people who don't believe in cremation as they think -  wrongly - that it will send you to hell as you do not have a body to resurrect.  

Well, we had better HOPE that our earthly bodies do not follow us to heaven.  Our earthly bodies - as the Bible says - are corrupt.  That means they get sick, bones break and don't heal properly, are born with loss of limbs, blind, or deaf, and grow old with all the problems that entails.

When Christ resurrects the dead in Him and those still alive meet them in the air - we will NOT have our old bodies.  We will have bodies like Christ's resurrected body - glorified and INcorruptible.  So says the Bible.  Our bodies, for eternity, will never grow old, never get sick, never break down, and forever and always be healthy and about bringing glory to God.

If cremation were a sin because there was no body to resurrect, then what about the people blown to bits by bombs, eaten by three or four sharks and pooped out, Adam/Eve and all those long since turned to dust, and all those who didn't have a body embalmed, prepared, and preserved.  

Our earthly bodies, no matter how well preserved, will never see the afterlife.  Why?  Because they have been tainted and weakend and under the curse of sin.

But our new and incorruptible bodies will spend eternity with Christ and his church.

Read 1 Corinthians 5 starting with verse 48 till the end.  You will see it explain how the "earthly" body cannot see the kingdom of God and how our bodies will be "changed" in the "twinkling" of an eye.

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,190
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

On 1/8/2024 at 3:13 PM, Ray12614 said:

Well, I have thought about this a lot lately. Some of our friends have been cremated (which my wife and I will do), BUT, they did not have an memorial service. That made it hard for their family and friends to have 'closure', and to remember the deceased family member/friend for their life, and how they blessed and helped people around them, and of course 'how they served Jesus' during their earthly lives'.  I think that it is un-fair to friends and family  to deny them the chance to remember their loved ones and have closure of their relationships . . . . 

Admittedly, some peoples lives really don't have much to celebrate, but still, this is a Christian forum and we all should have some kind of life style that could be celebrated, and really turn people's hearts toward the Lord.

Which brings up another thing I just thought of . . . what happens to others on this forum when one of the Worthy members die?  I suspect that they just are gone and nobody knows why? Hummmm . . . . . 

Ray . . . 

It costs a fortune. My dad just died. 11000 euro only for the funeral and a grave for 20 years. It's mainly the ground that's expensive. And not even a stone yet. That costs extra. My mother wanted only the children and grandkids there. Most of their family died, one is 86 and lives in America and couldn't come anyway. We only had one cup of coffee. 10 people. Imagine if you invite hundreds. Luckily dad had saved money. How on earth is a widow to do that who lives on the minimum and has no rich kids? It's big business. He had insurance. I expected the insurance to pay it all, cause he paid for it his whole life. They only pay 4000.

Edited by Renskedejonge
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting! 1

31 minutes ago, Renskedejonge said:

It costs a fortune. My dad just died. 11000 euro only for the funeral and a grave for 20 years. It's mainly the ground that's expensive. And not even a stone yet. That costs extra. My mother wanted only the children and grandkids there. Most of their family died, one is 86 and lives in America and couldn't come anyway. We only had one cup of coffee. 10 people. Imagine if you invite hundreds. Luckily dad had saved money. How on earth is a widow to do that who lives on the minimum and has no rich kids? It's big business. He had insurance. I expected the insurance to pay it all, cause he paid for it his whole life. They only pay 4000.

My sympathy to you at your Dad's death.

Yes traditional funerals can cost a "fortune"! But it is still, at least in the USA States, a choice not a requirement. No one must have a traditional funeral.

Many if not more than half the surviving family members in the USA arrange for simple cremation of the human remains and then have a life memorial service arranged on their own  often at their own church and so so at their convenience as to timing of that memorial. The practical matters of getting death certificates accomplishing the removal of the remains and delivery  to a crematory is almost always done by a funeral home, at a cost of $800 to just over $3,000 US dollars.

The one international funeral firm  does pretty much dictate what costs will be. The funeral industry is not  made up of local individual funeral directors for the most part anymore. They all sold out to the one large corporate entity some long time ago and became a local manager for that firm, as did the nonprofit cemeteries.

BTW cemeteries tend to have large deposits of money in trust funds for endowment or  perpetual care. Access to use of that money has been a major reason  for buying up cemeteries.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

My wife and I have already made and paid for body disposal and funeral.  My mom and Dad did the same thing and it made it all a lot easier so we did the same for our kids.   We also put all our material things into a Revokable Trust and made my son the controller of it after our death.  I did leave instructions for what he should do, but no lawyers or courts get involved.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, other one said:

I did leave instructions for what he should do, but no lawyers or courts get involved.

Sounds like a plan, however I now find trusts that are not updated every few years may not be recognized. Oye!

Seems in some situations just having a beneficiary on accounts is a better option. Double Oye!

And a trust is it's on entity. Seems it doesn't die when a party to it dies. A blessing  and a curse perhaps, as I am finding out.  And the beat goes on-

Ha; live poor, die at sea, leave nothing but memories behind.

If I m not splattered on a freeway then please slide my feeble body into my kayak and push me offshore - Let me cross the bar (sandbar that is).

Crossing the Bar BY ALFRED, LORD TENNYSON

Sunset and evening star,

And one clear call for me!

And may there be no moaning of the bar,

When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,

Too full for sound and foam,

When that which drew from out the boundless deep

Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,

And after that the dark!

And may there be no sadness of farewell,