• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,588
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

1 hour ago, kwikphilly said:

So we have those in Florida waters or just at the Aquarium?

You mean there's an art to blowing a Shofar- I sure don't know it cause I barely make a sound ,pretty pathetic noise I make

Shabbat shalom, kwikphilly.

Yes, there are those four blasts, and they are done in a particular order at R'owsh HaShannah and at Yowm Kippur. You can watch a YouTube video on it if you look up "How does one blow the shofar on Yowm Kippur?" The cantor will call out the blast and the shofar player will play that blast and then the cantor will call out the next blast until the pattern is complete. It is quite long and complicated.

Shofars were used as warning signals to warn of approaching enemies; they were used to call the hearers to worship and to repentance; they were used in times of celebration, and they were used in times of mourning. They can also be used to punctuate a song.

I first heard a shofar as an independent Baptist visiting a Messianic Congregation for the first time here in Tampa. They were singing the song, Days of Elijah by Robin Mark, and when they got to the chorus, and sang "Behold He comes, riding on the clouds, shining like the sun, at the trumpet call," all the shofars in the place blew at once! I've NEVER been so excited and moved for the Lord's return! I'd never heard a shofar before, let alone SCORES of them altogether! I imagine His Coming will be JUST LIKE THAT! It puts a REALITY to the words about the Rapture! That was my first draw to the Messianic Movement.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,117
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

On 1/24/2024 at 4:35 PM, kwikphilly said:

@WilliamL if you want your own image in your avatar I'm sure you can do it- if I did it you can ,if you want help feel free to pm anyone of us on the Ministry Team & we'd be happy to help

Thanks, but changing avatars at this point would be like dissing an old friend.  

• Haha 1

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,117
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

On 1/24/2024 at 4:35 PM, kwikphilly said:

@WilliamL if you want your own image in your avatar I'm sure you can do it- if I did it you can ,if you want help feel free to pm anyone of us on the Ministry Team & we'd be happy to help

Thanks, but changing avatars at this point would be like dissing an old friend.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

On 1/27/2024 at 8:52 AM, kwikphilly said:

So we have those in Florida waters or just at the Aquarium?

You mean there's an art to blowing a Shofar- I sure don't know it cause I barely make a sound ,pretty pathetic noise I make

Shalom, kwik.

By the way, the Goliath Groupers are found in the Florida waters just offshore and in the estuaries. They are bottom-feeders and are PROTECTED, but fishermen still go after them with the "catch and release" method. Apparently, they put up quite a fight! (Never tried it myself.) According to what I've read, they will come up to divers to check them out, but I haven't heard of any aggression.

According to Wikipedia, "The Atlantic goliath grouper can grow to lengths of 2.5 meters (8.2 feet) and weigh up to 363 kilograms (800 pounds)!"

Edited by Retrobyter
to add a fact
  • Interesting! 1

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

2 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, kwik.

By the way, the Goliath Groupers are found in the Florida waters just offshore and in the estuaries. They are bottom-feeders and are PROTECTED, but fishermen still go after them with the "catch and release" method. Apparently, they put up quite a fight! (Never tried it myself.) According to what I've read, they will come up to divers to check them out, but I haven't heard of any aggression.

According to Wikipedia, "The Atlantic goliath grouper can grow to lengths of 2.5 meters (8.2 feet) and weigh up to 363 kilograms (800 pounds)!"

Wholly Moley!!!

Do you fish? Speaking of fish,how did the little fish thingy become a Christian emblem? The fishes multiplying? Fishers of men? You're pretty good with trivia- any tidbits of how and when thst began?

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Ah Floridah folk, it is nearly 3:00AM.  

• Haha 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

14 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Wholly Moley!!!

Do you fish? Speaking of fish,how did the little fish thingy become a Christian emblem? The fishes multiplying? Fishers of men? You're pretty good with trivia- any tidbits of how and when thst began?

The early Christians used the Greek word for "fish" (ichthus) as an acronym: Iesous Christos Theou (h)Uios Soter = Jesus Christ, God's Son, Saviour. And so the fish became a Christian 'secret sign'

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Ah Floridah folk, it is nearly 3:00AM.  

And your up too! Rofl

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Wholly Moley!!!

Shalom, kwik.

It's as @Deborah_ said. It was easy to draw a curve in the dust or the dirt or sand with one's toe of one's sandle, and another could answer with their own curve, completing the symbol of the "fish" or "ichthus." Anyone other than a believer would think it just a idle scraping in the dirt. It was a very simple code to identify a fellow believer in times of persecution.

Oh, and no, not any more. I used to fish with my son when he was younger and living at home. I also go out with my son when I can visit him, but he lives in NC, USA, now.

Edited by Retrobyter
to add another answer.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

On 1/24/2024 at 6:03 PM, Anne2 said:

A shofar is what I always thought it was.

edit to add

I found this online. A rams horn

image.png.4594350f194dd223af517f1e67ce6ff8.png

@Anne2 Interesting.....

Interesting that in Revelation 13 there is a kingdom of ten horns; a rather different context, of course.