• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,734
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

30 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

tax collection during winter is unlikely.

Doesn't seem to stop IRS.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,071
  • Content Per Day:  3.29
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/3/2024 at 2:33 PM, Dennis1209 said:

From a technical and historical standpoint, it is accurate to say that the day chosen to commemorate Jesus’ birth, Christmas, and His resurrection, Easter, do not align with the actual historical events. For instance, Israel’s shepherds typically do not send their flocks to graze the fields in winter, and the idea of a census and tax collection during winter is unlikely.

If one searches pagan history, one can find pagan practices and rituals for about every day of the year. True, some holidays and symbology originated from pagan rituals and practices.

The dates on our calendar adopted to recognize Christmas and Easter (Resurrection Day) are obviously inaccurate—the reasons and history of why those dates and customs are inaccurate can also be traced. But that was not my point or intent.

My point was the intentional slap to the face of those who follow Jesus’ footsteps and believe in His name. Another religious assault to us baskets of deplorables (H. Clinton), spewing hate speech, and the problem of global peace and utopia.

Why wasn’t March 11, 2024 (1st day of Ramadan) selected? Indeed, it was intentional.

These attacks on our Lord and His followers, our American heritage, our Constitution, and blessings from above are now flagrant, open, and in our faces. For brevity, out of dozens of examples, lighting up the White House in rainbow colors, opening a session of Congress with a Chaplin praying to the god Brahma, closing with, Amen and a woman. America is no longer a Christian nation (B. Obama in Muslim territory). There is controversy with the word “just.” Where is the American outcry?

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (Ephesians 6:12)

Recently, Pastor Jack Hibbs was asked to open a session of Congress with a prayer. What a worthy, bold, and beautiful prayer it was. There were congressional protests and an outcry because he invoked the precious name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.

I mentioned the media's silence in my original post. Well, it took them some time, but finally, Fox News jumped on the bandwagon and condemned O’Biden’s proclamation and timing. Naturally, Fox News talking heads will not speak out against homosexuality or immorality to keep their jobs.

Indeed - a slap in the face. But the issue is deeper. What are we servants of our Lord "choosing" a day to commemorate, when no such instructions were given? You and I both, having had the privilege of professional military training and experience, would not dare make our own battle plan, let alone execute it. And that is my point. Aaron's words over the calf were:

4 And he received them at their hand, and fashioned it with a graving tool, after he had made it a molten calf: and they said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt. 5 And when Aaron saw it, he built an altar before it; and Aaron made proclamation, and said, To morrow is a feast to the LORD. 6 And they rose up early on the morrow, and offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play. (Ex 32:4–6)

For this Jehovah wanted to kill the whole Nation (v.10).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,159
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

On 4/1/2024 at 7:35 AM, other one said:

Transgender Day of Visibility Day has been on March 31st since 2009. It is just happenstance that it coincides with Easter this year.      He has made this proclamation every year he's been president.  What makes you think he's smart enough to realize the conflict.   So is he evil or just plain stupid?

Yes.

• Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,519
  • Content Per Day:  2.69
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, AdHoc said:

Indeed - a slap in the face. But the issue is deeper. What are we servants of our Lord "choosing" a day to commemorate, when no such instructions were given? You and I both, having had the privilege of professional military training and experience, would not dare make our own battle plan, let alone execute it. And that is my point. Aaron's words over the calf were:

4 And he received them at their hand, and fashioned it with a graving tool, after he had made it a molten calf: and they said, These be thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt. 5 And when Aaron saw it, he built an altar before it; and Aaron made proclamation, and said, To morrow is a feast to the LORD. 6 And they rose up early on the morrow, and offered burnt offerings, and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play. (Ex 32:4–6)

For this Jehovah wanted to kill the whole Nation (v.10).

We look at a National Day of Remembrance (holiday) differently, i.e., Christmas and Easter. They are intended to honor and remember the Lord's birth, death, and Resurrection once a year. As Christians, we remember, honor, and celebrate the Lord daily.

The world is desperately trying to erase anything related to Jesus, the common era, mandatory Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, not to offend "America is no longer a Christian nation" people.

Do you think our Lord is offended by His birth, death, and Resurrection, honoring Him with a day of remembrance, a National Day of Prayer, etc.?  

Leviticus's voluntary (free will) offering was not commanded, but instructions were provided if offered.

The Exodus 32 example reminds me of the abuses of the Lord’s Supper also.

On 4/5/2024 at 12:01 AM, Dennis1209 said:

We look at a National Day of Remembrance (holiday) differently, i.e., Christmas and Easter. They are intended to honor and remember the Lord's birth, death, and Resurrection once a year. As Christians, we remember, honor, and celebrate the Lord daily.

The world is desperately trying to erase anything related to Jesus, the common era, mandatory Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, not to offend "America is no longer a Christian nation" people.

Do you think our Lord is offended by His birth, death, and Resurrection, honoring Him with a day of remembrance, a National Day of Prayer, etc.?  

Leviticus's voluntary (free will) offering was not commanded, but instructions were provided if offered.

The Exodus 32 example reminds me of the abuses of the Lord’s Supper also.

In Matthew 7:21-23 we find a group of men who are at the right assize, and who make claim to the rewards of their service to the Lord. They do not have to defend evil behavior and the Lord does not deny that they did man wondrous works in His Name including casting out demons. That is, they knew the Lord, believed in Him, were Baptized (otherwise they could not have had the POWER to do these works - Act.2:38, 1:8, Lk.24:49), were endowed with supernatural power and displayed the signs of a believer (Mk.16:17). Their record of works is enviable. And yet the Lord condemns them to the uttermost. He does not say that their works were iniquitous. H says that THEY were WORKERS of iniquity - a subtle difference which He explains in that they did the works but the Father had not ordered them.

The Lord gives the reason for this "iniquity". It was that He did not "know" them. The Greek word "ginosko" does not mean intellectual knowledge. Its meaning is "intimate knowledge". It is used to explain that Joseph did not have sexual relations with Mary until after Jesus was born (Matt.1.25). The mischief that came from no intimacy was that they were not intimate with the WILL of the Father. But we learn from Ephesians 6 that it is God's will that we fight spirits. So what WILL had these well-meaning Spirit filled Christians not complied with? It must have been the Father's STRATEGY. The preconditions for having the POWER to do it, and the REASON for doing it were all satisfied. What remained then to be fulfilled. THE TIMING.

God's planning is flawless. It is like Swiss watch. Precision in detail. What He wants is men who will DO HIS WILL and not think up what they deem God to need. For this affront to God's authority and for doing THEIR will, all caused by NO INTIMACY, the men claiming the Kingdom are severely rebuked, lose their reward, and if the other parables are consistent, the are cast out of the presence of Christ and may even receive stripes.

But Christmas and Easter carry a double insult. They were NOT chosen by men to commemorate Christ in any way. They had been in existence long before that in honor of Baal at the winter Solstice and Ishtar at the Spring Equinox. That is, feasts in honor of the ENEMIES of God and mankind. And that Christians have anything to do with them is akin to a Marine crossing the Korean DMZ to visit the statues and Mausoleum of Kim II Sung and join the festivities on their National Day (9th Sept.). Or maybe a better examples is the Israeli People voting for a national public holiday and feast on Hitler's birthday.

God gave us Christians four memorials or signs in our walk among the Nations. (i) Baptism, (ii) the Lord's Table, (iii) the women's head covering and (iv) Love for one another. The Lord has given us freedom in almost all areas of our lives. You can buy the car you like and marry the woman of your choice. You can paint your house purple and have any hobby you can afford. But in God's matters we are to do HIS WILL. And if He wanted a day in honor of Jesus He would have indicated it. I am reasonably sure though, that it would not coincide with the great day of a fertility goddess with its orgies. Jeremiah wrote against the Christmas Tree some 650 years before Christ was born (Jer.10). The command was "learn NOT the way of the heathen ... !"

However, I am ever mindful of the Lord's instruction to me in Romans 14 and make no accusation - only arguments;

4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. 5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. (Ro 14:4–6).

Go well soldier

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

On 4/1/2024 at 8:35 AM, other one said:

So is he evil or just plain stupid?

I would say a combination of both.  Honestly he is not even running the show.  Lights are on but no ones home.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,519
  • Content Per Day:  2.69

2 hours ago, AdHoc said:

In Matthew 7:21-23 we find a group of men who are at the right assize, and who make claim to the rewards of their service to the Lord. They do not have to defend evil behavior and the Lord does not deny that they did man wondrous works in His Name including casting out demons. That is, they knew the Lord, believed in Him, were Baptized (otherwise they could not have had the POWER to do these works - Act.2:38, 1:8, Lk.24:49), were endowed with supernatural power and displayed the signs of a believer (Mk.16:17). Their record of works is enviable. And yet the Lord condemns them to the uttermost. He does not say that their works were iniquitous. H says that THEY were WORKERS of iniquity - a subtle difference which He explains in that they did the works but the Father had not ordered them.

The Lord gives the reason for this "iniquity". It was that He did not "know" them. The Greek word "ginosko" does not mean intellectual knowledge. Its meaning is "intimate knowledge". It is used to explain that Joseph did not have sexual relations with Mary until after Jesus was born (Matt.1.25). The mischief that came from no intimacy was that they were not intimate with the WILL of the Father. But we learn from Ephesians 6 that it is God's will that we fight spirits. So what WILL had these well-meaning Spirit filled Christians not complied with? It must have been the Father's STRATEGY. The preconditions for having the POWER to do it, and the REASON for doing it were all satisfied. What remained then to be fulfilled. THE TIMING.

God's planning is flawless. It is like Swiss watch. Precision in detail. What He wants is men who will DO HIS WILL and not think up what they deem God to need. For this affront to God's authority and for doing THEIR will, all caused by NO INTIMACY, the men claiming the Kingdom are severely rebuked, lose their reward, and if the other parables are consistent, the are cast out of the presence of Christ and may even receive stripes.

But Christmas and Easter carry a double insult. They were NOT chosen by men to commemorate Christ in any way. They had been in existence long before that in honor of Baal at the winter Solstice and Ishtar at the Spring Equinox. That is, feasts in honor of the ENEMIES of God and mankind. And that Christians have anything to do with them is akin to a Marine crossing the Korean DMZ to visit the statues and Mausoleum of Kim II Sung and join the festivities on their National Day (9th Sept.). Or maybe a better examples is the Israeli People voting for a national public holiday and feast on Hitler's birthday.

God gave us Christians four memorials or signs in our walk among the Nations. (i) Baptism, (ii) the Lord's Table, (iii) the women's head covering and (iv) Love for one another. The Lord has given us freedom in almost all areas of our lives. You can buy the car you like and marry the woman of your choice. You can paint your house purple and have any hobby you can afford. But in God's matters we are to do HIS WILL. And if He wanted a day in honor of Jesus He would have indicated it. I am reasonably sure though, that it would not coincide with the great day of a fertility goddess with its orgies. Jeremiah wrote against the Christmas Tree some 650 years before Christ was born (Jer.10). The command was "learn NOT the way of the heathen ... !"

However, I am ever mindful of the Lord's instruction to me in Romans 14 and make no accusation - only arguments;

4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. 5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. (Ro 14:4–6).

Go well soldier

Your point is well taken, and the pagan history is undeniable. It is also true the Lord never commanded a religious observance of Christmas or Easter. However, let us look at it another way. Did not the righteous tear down pagan idols and false symbolism in high places, removing those practices by penalty of death?

In our time, those heathen practices have been replaced with other symbolism, such as the Christmas tree and candy cane, pointing to the Lord, i.e.

This is a Candy Cane Story Object Lesson:

"the white" - Jesus was pure and holy; He was without sin.

Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

The white is also a picture of how God washes our sins away and makes us white as snow when we trust in Jesus as our Savior.

Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

"the red stripes" - the red, of course, is a picture of the blood Jesus shed for each of us; the red stripes depict the stripes on His back as He was beaten.

Isaiah 53: But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

"the hardness of the candy" – that candy cane is not like the Snickers or Milky Way in that bag. The hardness represents that Jesus is our "Rock"; if we build our lives upon Him, they will be secure and lasting.

Luke 6:48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

Ephesians 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

1 Peter 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

"the candy cane's shape" - the candy cane is shaped like a shepherd's staff; the Bible calls Jesus our Good Shepherd who watches over us and cares for us; we are called the sheep of His pasture. The hook grabs the Shepherd’s sheep around the neck to control and protect them.

John 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

Psalm 100:3 Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

"upside down candy cane" - turn your candy cane upside down, it makes a J for Jesus!

Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

The taste: Oh how sweet to trust in Jesus. Jesus is the reason for the season.

Because it was initiated by paganism and devil worship, is converting it pointing to the Lord through symbolism a sin? On the other hand, our celebrated Christmas and Easter holidays point to and recognize the Lord Jesus Christ. I do not see a problem with that.

5 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

Your point is well taken, and the pagan history is undeniable. It is also true the Lord never commanded a religious observance of Christmas or Easter. However, let us look at it another way. Did not the righteous tear down pagan idols and false symbolism in high places, removing those practices by penalty of death?

In our time, those heathen practices have been replaced with other symbolism, such as the Christmas tree and candy cane, pointing to the Lord, i.e.

This is a Candy Cane Story Object Lesson:

"the white" - Jesus was pure and holy; He was without sin.

Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

The white is also a picture of how God washes our sins away and makes us white as snow when we trust in Jesus as our Savior.

Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

"the red stripes" - the red, of course, is a picture of the blood Jesus shed for each of us; the red stripes depict the stripes on His back as He was beaten.

Isaiah 53: But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

"the hardness of the candy" – that candy cane is not like the Snickers or Milky Way in that bag. The hardness represents that Jesus is our "Rock"; if we build our lives upon Him, they will be secure and lasting.

Luke 6:48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

Ephesians 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

1 Peter 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

"the candy cane's shape" - the candy cane is shaped like a shepherd's staff; the Bible calls Jesus our Good Shepherd who watches over us and cares for us; we are called the sheep of His pasture. The hook grabs the Shepherd’s sheep around the neck to control and protect them.

John 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

Psalm 100:3 Know ye that the LORD he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

"upside down candy cane" - turn your candy cane upside down, it makes a J for Jesus!

Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

The taste: Oh how sweet to trust in Jesus. Jesus is the reason for the season.

Because it was initiated by paganism and devil worship, is converting it pointing to the Lord through symbolism a sin? On the other hand, our celebrated Christmas and Easter holidays point to and recognize the Lord Jesus Christ. I do not see a problem with that.

Fair enough. We've both put forward our points. I feel that I've said enough. May the Lord bless your walk with Him.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,422
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

On 3/31/2024 at 7:29 AM, Dennis1209 said:

Socialistic communism works; it just takes the right kind.

I appreciate this comment a lot. Something that I've seen a lot of in the US, especially amongst Christians, is a phobia of communism and socialism. As much as I prefer capitalism I've often been of the opinion that any of these systems can work so long as they're tempered by Biblical principles. When those principles are absent then the implementation will inevitably gravitate toward extremes and sin. We saw it and can still see it in Communist China and Russia. But we can see it in our capitalism and democracy as well where principles are rapidly falling by the wayside in favor of money and appealing to every little demographic for votes.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

I appreciate this comment a lot. Something that I've seen a lot of in the US, especially amongst Christians, is a phobia of communism and socialism. As much as I prefer capitalism I've often been of the opinion that any of these systems can work so long as they're tempered by Biblical principles. When those principles are absent then the implementation will inevitably gravitate toward extremes and sin. We saw it and can still see it in Communist China and Russia. But we can see it in our capitalism and democracy as well where principles are rapidly falling by the wayside in favor of money and appealing to every little demographic for votes.

Usually, the meaning of true socialism is obscured in a variant designed to distract one from its implications. "Socialism" is, at its base meaning, the management of the social product by an elect group. That is, all the nation's production goes into a pot and is distributed by a select few.

What is not said is that the select few are usually of the opinion that the masses are incapable of managing such resources, as page 1 of "Morals and Dogma ... " by Albert Pike, Grand Master of Scottish Rite Freemasonry, tells. The belief is that one must surrender the fruit of of your labor into more capable hands than yours.

Communism is defined as socialism WITHOUT the private ownership of land.

Well have you said that this system degenerates when Biblical principles are not applied. But can we find socialism itself as a Biblical principle? In the parable of the Talents in Matthew 25 we find the Lord giving HIS goods in proportion to "natural ability". The fact that one gets five, the next two and the last one Talent shows that in His creature God distributes natural ability as He wishes and not equally. At the day of reckoning the original talents still belong to God, but those who were faithful to their portion were rewarded. The scale of reward is the same for both - "the joy of the Lord" as He takes his rightful place in His new KINGDOM. But the unfaithful servant is (i) rebuked, (ii) stripped of his talent, (iii) cast out from the presence of Christ and suffers (iv) grief of soul. At no time is a social plan available for him. He may not enjoy the fruit of others.

In Luke and the parable of the pounds, it is not faithfulness that is required, but diligence. Notice that the man producing more is commended AND rewarded. The man still producing but only half of the other is rewarded but NOT commended. Again, the slacker is punished and no thought of supplying him from a social pot is alluded to.

The earth is the Lord's but for its management He gave it to men (Ps.24:1, 115.:16). Psalm 8 shows the same. In His Covenant with Abraham, God gave Israel Canaan as "an everlasting possession" and Israel receive it by lot after a bloody conquest. If they are poor businessmen and lose the lot, God institutes a Jubilee when every man is returned to His possession. Stealing another man's possession is a basic law. Can we not say that private ownership of land IS God's will.

If I have made my case well, then socialism and communism are not in accordance with God's will. In Acts 5 the early Church tried it and it not only did it not work, but it provoked the death of Ananias and Saphira. In his sentence Peter pointed out that what was THEIRS was at THEIR disposal.

However, I understand that pure socialism, where all do their duty, and the managers of the pot are honorable, is a nice thought, especially for the weak and not so talented.