IGNORED

What do you absolutely HAVE to believe to be a Christian?

IgnatioDeLoyola

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,873
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/24/2024 at 9:25 AM, IgnatioDeLoyola said:

I've started this thread out of genuine interest in the response. The question is, what is absolutely mandatory to believe in to be called a "Christian"?

To believe what Christ believed in, which is loving God with all you have, and your neighbor as yourself; is what is absolutely mandatory to be a true Christian.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  56
  • Content Per Day:  0.73

Dear All,

I've started this thread out of genuine interest in the response. The question is, what is absolutely mandatory to believe in to be called a "Christian"? Or, are there beliefs that, if you profess that you hold them or do not hold them, we can be certain that you are not in the Body of Christ (the Church)?

There are some obvious answers to this for me:

1. That God exists. (yes, I know, this is really basic, but I've met atheists and agnostics who claim to be Christians)

2. That God is made up of 3 persons (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit).

3. That man fell into sin and was seperated from God as a result, that God made a series of covenants with man to save him from sin, and the final covenant is the blood of Jesus Christ, God's son, the perfect and spotless Pesach lamb who died on a cross at Calvary for all of us.

4. That the only known path out of sin, and towards reconcilliation with God, is through uniting ourselves with the sacrifice of Jesus.

5. We do this through professing inwardly and outwardly that Jesus is our Lord and Saviour, and committing to listen to him and follow him, however imperfectly, in all we do.

After that it gets hard. There are many other statements in the Nicene and Apostle's creed that add to this theologically. But would I say that, if you disagreed with one of those, you cannot be a Christian? 

There are epistemological statements you could add: do you believe the Bible? How much of it do you believe? What other sources of truth are there about God, in your opinion?

There are statements on sacraments and salvation: have you been, or do you intend to be, baptised in water? Do you believe that baptism is necessary to belong to the Church? etc.

There are many moral statements also that one might add to this also - could you be a Christian if you think murder is okay, for example? 

I would love your opinions on this, and to understand how other people see this question.

Best

I

#2 is not necessary be a Christian; but, in my experience, it's necessary to accepted in church, or with online forums and chatrooms.

Scripture may seem to, (for the lack of a better term), "allude" to a triunity of God, but never dictates that we think of God as "three separate persons." Maybe we can adjust that to say, "three inseparable..."

Creeds are necessary only if you want to align yourself with a specific doctrinal or denominational understanding of the Bible.

Regarding murder... King David was guilty of this, (and adultery), and yet, He had the Spirit of God in Him, and was considered, (by God), "a man after God's own heart."

The Greek word for "believe," carries more meaning than a single English word can convey. It also indicates "commitment." 

The two "commandments" for Christians are:

1. "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."

2. "Love your neighbor as yourself."

He said: "My yoke is easy, and my burden is light." 

We, as believers, tend to add so much more to the light burden He's given us, and many of us miss the simplicity of what He actually requires of us.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,476
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

A Christian is one who believes that Jesus Christ is the redeemer of his soul. He, Jesus paid with his life blood, through the cross for our sins.  He only has to believe in his heart and confess with his tongue that Jesus Christ is Lord.  That is the essential part of settling with your nature that you are now a believer or Christian.

Like a babe, when you are a new creation, there is much to learn and know the ways of your creator that you now confess that you believe in, so the word of God is to be studied and meditated upon as it is the instruction manual or guide to the new life as a Christian.  There are other aspects that you the believer would experience as you mature and gain insights to the spiritual world that you never before thought existed.  Then  you also learn about , sanctification and righteousness and holiness, things that were foreign to you before you became a Christian.   

So, it is just not a matter of belief and you are done, it is a life long journey till you are called home.   It is a living testimony that you also passes on to others.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  448
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,275
  • Content Per Day:  2.05

On 4/30/2024 at 6:19 PM, other one said:

image.png.7242f6330f83c6f5fdb002e80521d920.png

I am going to quote you here, and fact check this, and look this up myself and it could take me until next year 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  600
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,420
  • Content Per Day:  7.54
  • Days Won:  271

4 hours ago, believeinHim said:

I am going to quote you here, and fact check this, and look this up myself and it could take me until next year 

Let me know.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  308
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,153
  • Content Per Day:  4.57
  • Days Won:  327

With the carnal mind this Saving Faith seems to have many components and we csn reasonably list quite a few but from a tiny " measure of Faith" which is a Gift of God we come to the place where this Revelation is born- the Eyes of our Heart

Faith is the substance of whst is Hoped for ,the evidence of things not seen(Hebrews 11:1)

So how is it possible to see the substance of something invisible? What exactly is hoped for ?

So you'd think first you must believe there is more to life than what we see and it doesn't end when we die,one must believe we are not worthy of what is beyond this life,you must believe you need a Savior,you must believe He Can Save you and you can be Forgiven- you must believe thst only God Can do all these things and that Jesus is Who He Says He Is- GOD

Sounds like alot? It isnt- this is what is Revealed by Holy Spirit and Seen by the Eyes of one's sincere repentant heart ,the Eyes of Understanding

All this Knowledge is Given instantaneously even to a person who never even held a Bible in their hand when a person comes to BELIEVE......

So to answer your question- it's not " what you believe"- it is WHO you Believe

When Jesus Knocks and He is Received He Speaks to your heart and you Know He is the Way,the Truth and the Life..... no one can " try " to Believe or have Faith- Faith Comes by Hearijg the Word of God- lest we forget that JESUS is the WORD

• Well Said! 3

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,677
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

Dear All,

I've started this thread out of genuine interest in the response. The question is, what is absolutely mandatory to believe in to be called a "Christian"? Or, are there beliefs that, if you profess that you hold them or do not hold them, we can be certain that you are not in the Body of Christ (the Church)?

1. That God exists. (yes, I know, this is really basic, but I've met atheists and agnostics who claim to be Christians)

Shalom, IgnatioDeLoyola.

Acts 11:26 (KJV)

26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

The Greek of this verse is ...

11:26   καὶ εὑρὼν αὐτὸν ἤγαγεν αὐτόν εἰς Ἀντιόχειαν ἐγένετο δὲ αὐτούς ἐνιαυτὸν ὅλον συναχθῆναι ἐν τῇ ἐκκλησίᾳ καὶ διδάξαι ὄχλον ἱκανόν χρηματίσαι τε πρώτον ἐν Ἀντιοχείᾳ τοὺς μαθητὰς Χριστιανούς.

We may transliterate the Greek like this ...

11:26 Kai euroon auton eegagen auton eis Antiocheian egeneto de autous eniauton holon sunachtheenai en tee ekkleesia kai didaxai ochlon hikanon chreemartisai te prooton en Antiocheia tous matheetas Christianous.

This may be translated word-for-word thus:

11:26 And when-he-had-found him, he-brought him into Antioch; it-happened-that but/and they a-year whole they-assembled in the called-out-(assembly) and taught people much; they-were-called and first in Antioch the students/disciples "Christians." 

A "Christianos," which is a diminutive of "Christos," first applied as a term of ridicule, means a "lesser Christ." 

Strong's says, "The name was first given to the worshippers of Jesus by the Gentiles, but from the second century (Justin Martyr (e. g. Apology 1, 4, p. 55 a.; dialog contra Trypho, § 35; cf. 'Teaching etc. 12, 4 [ET])) onward accepted by them as a title of honor."

So, it's imperative that one first understand what the term "Christ" means: 

Strong's gives us this entry in the Greek dictionary:

5547 Christos Χριστός, οῦ, ὁ (khrees'-tos). From chrioo; Anointed One, i.e. The Messiah, an epithet of Jesus:
-- Christ.

5548 chrioo χρίω (khree'-0). Probably akin to chraomai through the idea of contact; to smear or rub with oil, i.e. (by implication) to consecrate to an office or religious service:
-- anoint.

5530 chraomai χράομαι (khrah'-om-ahee). Middle voice of a primary verb (perhaps rather from cheir, to handle); to furnish what is needed; (give an oracle, "graze" (touch slightly), light upon, etc.), i.e. (by implication) to employ or (by extension) to act towards one in a given manner:
-- entreat, use. Compare chrao; chre.

Yeeshuwa` haMaashiyach ("Jesus the Christ") was One so anointed by the Ruwach haQodesh 'Elohiym (the Holy Spirit of God) at His baptism (Acts 10:38). It was THERE that He became God's "Anointed One" - "Maashiyach" = "Messiah" - "Christ."

Likewise, the Jewish disciples in Jerusalem were anointed with God's Spirit in Acts 2:1-4, and the Gentile disciples in Caesaria in Acts 10:44.

I would be remiss if I failed to mention that "Messiah" ("Messias") comes from the Hebrew word "Maashiyach":

John 4:25-26 (KJV)

25 The woman saith unto him,

"I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things."

26 Jesus saith unto her,

"I that speak unto thee am he."

3323 Messias Μεσσίας, ου, ὁ (mes-see'-as). Of Hebrew origin (maashiyach); the Messias (i.e. Mashiach), or Christ:
-- Messias.

4899 Maashiyach (Mashiach) מָשִׁיחַ (maw-shee'-akh). From maashach; anointed; usually a consecrated person (as a king, priest, or saint); specifically, the Messiah
-- anointed, Messiah.

4886 maashach (mashach) מָשַׁח (maw-shakh'). A primitive root; to rub with oil, i.e. To anoint; by implication, to consecrate; also to paint:
-- anoint, paint.

More later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  313
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

Not so much what you 'have to believe' as much as if you are born again.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  6,677
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

Shalom, again, Ignatio.

I do not deny that God USED TO BE made up of 3 Persons; however, "the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us." This is why the Word is now referred to as the "SON of God" (NEVER "God the Son")! He was not "incarnated"; that is, "put into a body of flesh." He "was MADE flesh!" (John 1:14) There's a SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE!

Now, He is still the WORD who was God; therefore, He has all the memories of being God prior to being made flesh. Since then, He's been in constant communication with His Father. This means that He was indeed present with 'Avram/'Avraham as YHWH or "I AM." However, now He is LIMITED to a location and is no longer "omnipresent" as God His Father is! While here on earth at least, He was not "omniscient" or all-knowing for Mark tells us He said,

Mark 13:32 (KJV)

32 "But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father."

Being "made flesh," He could then be able to DIE, and He DID die, the just for the unjust. However, His Father, YHWH God, brought Him back to life again. Yes, He could "lay down His life and take it up again" (John 10:18) as He said; however, He CHOSE to leave that in His Father's will (Luke 23:46). And, it was His FATHER who raised Him to life (Romans 6:4; Galatians 1:1).

In addition to be limited in life and death and yet being raised to life never to die again, He is said to have "gone to be with His Father," and has promised "I will come again." Thus, He has locality and is restricted to being wherever He is physically, and YES, He WAS raised PHYSICALLY to life! Consider His words to His disciples when He showed up in the upper room after His resurrection:

Luke 24:36-43 (KJV)

36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them,

"Peace (Shalom) be unto you."

37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit. 38 And he said unto them,

"Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? 39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have."

40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet. 41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them,

"Have ye here any meat?"

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb. 43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

3. That man fell into sin and was separated from God as a result, that God made a series of covenants with man to save him from sin, and the final covenant is the blood of Jesus Christ, God's son, the perfect and spotless Pesach lamb who died on a cross at Calvary for all of us.

Some people call this the "New Covenant," but this is NOT what the "New Covenant" is, according to the Scriptures:

Jeremiah 31:31-34 (KJV)

31 "Behold, the days come," saith the LORD, "that I will make a new covenant WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL, and WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH: 32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day [that] I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them," saith the LORD: 33 "But this [shall be] THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL; After those days," saith the LORD, "I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. 34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD': for they shall ALL know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them," saith the LORD: "for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more."

It does NOT refer to "all believers" and especially not to "all Christians!" The only way it would apply to them is if they recognize that they are GRAFFED INTO the "Olive Tree" of the Messiah's Israel! The New Covenant is to the CHILDREN OF ISRAEL, the MAN once called "YA`AQOV" or "JACOB!" This "New Covenant" is with the actual descendants of Ya`aqoV ("Jacob"), the gransdon of Avraham! It ONLY applies to all Gentile believers, IF these Gentile believers understand that they were ADOPTED into God's Mishpachah - God's Family - the children of Israel! To say otherwise is to invite the FALSE teaching of "Replacement Theology" - the idea that Gentile believers - Gentile Christians - are the "New Israel," "replacing the old nation of Israel.

4. That the only known path out of sin, and towards reconcilliation with God, is through uniting ourselves with the sacrifice of Jesus.

This is absolutely true.

5. We do this through professing inwardly and outwardly that Jesus is our Lord and Saviour, and committing to listen to him and follow him, however imperfectly, in all we do.

It's SO MUCH MORE than that! One must make Yeeshuwa` ("Jesus") his or her OWN "Sacrifice for sin!" Speaking about YHWH'S Messiah, Yesha`yahuw ("Isaiah") said,

Isaiah 53:4-11 (KJV)

4 Surely he (YHWH'S Messiah) hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. 5 But he [was] wounded for OUR transgressions, [he was] bruised for OUR iniquities: the chastisement of OUR peace [was] upon him; and with his stripes WE are healed. 6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD (YHWH) hath laid on him (the Messiah) THE INIQUITY OF US ALL. 7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. 8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of MY PEOPLE was he stricken. 9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither [was any] deceit in his mouth. 10 Yet it pleased THE LORD (YHWH) to bruise him (the Messiah); HE hath put [him] to griefWHEN THOU SHALT MAKE HIS SOUL AN OFFERING FOR SIN, he shall see [his] seed, he shall prolong [his] days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. 11 He (YHWH) shall see of the travail of his soul (the Messiah's air-breathing creature), [and] SHALL BE SATISFIED: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

One is not "born again" until that Sacrifice is applied to his or her life! One CANNOT be a "child of God" until the SIN is taken out of the way! We cannot do that; it must be accomplished by God through the Sacrifice of His Son on the cross! No amount of good deeds (good works) one may perform will satisfy God's requirement! It MUST be accomplished by God Himself through the Sacrifice of His Son! God must do the work, or the transfer will never be complete!

After that it gets hard. There are many other statements in the Nicene and Apostle's creed that add to this theologically. But would I say that, if you disagreed with one of those, you cannot be a Christian? 

There are epistemological statements you could add: do you believe the Bible? How much of it do you believe? What other sources of truth are there about God, in your opinion?

There are statements on sacraments and salvation: have you been, or do you intend to be, baptised in water? Do you believe that baptism is necessary to belong to the Church? etc.

There are many moral statements also that one might add to this also - could you be a Christian if you think murder is okay, for example? 

I would love your opinions on this, and to understand how other people see this question.

Best

I

The rest of this is "fluff." One's standing with God is accomplished SOLELY on the basis of God's FINISHED WORK through His Son's Sacrifice, and the exchange He makes with us to call us "His Righteousness," while His Son was called "our sin!"

2 Corinthians 5:17-21 (KJV)

17 Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 18 And all things [are] of God, who hath reconciled us to himself (who has exchanged places with us Himself) by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation (the service of exchanging places); 19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself (YHWH GOD the Father was in the Messiah, exchanging places with the world), not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation (the message about exchanging places). 20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech [you] by us: we pray [you] in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 21 For he (YHWH GOD) hath made him (the Messiah) [to be] sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him (in the Messiah).

This is why I say that "salvation" is the WRONG WORD, when one speaks about one's standing with God! The concept of God "not imputing our trespasses unto us" is rightly called "God's JUSTIFICATiON" of an individual! When we make the Messiah our Sacrifice for sin, our sin was applied to the Messiah upon the cross, and He died AS OUR SIN! Now, when God looks at the one claiming that Sacrifice, He no longer sees our "sin," but rather "His Son's righteousness," or rather, "His OWN righteousness in His Son, the Messiah!"

Just to drive it home, look at Yeeshuwa`s ("Jesus'") own words:

Luke 18:9-14 (KJV)

9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 

10 "Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. 11 The Pharisee stood and pray d thus with himself,

"'God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. 12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.'

13 "And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying,

"'God be merciful to me a sinner.'

14 "I tell you, this man went down to his house JUSTIFIED rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."

This ALONE makes one the recipient of the New Birth and thus worthy of being called a "Christian."

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  2.30

On 4/24/2024 at 11:25 PM, IgnatioDeLoyola said:

Dear All,

3. That man fell into sin and was seperated from God as a result, that God made a series of covenants with man to save him from sin, and the final covenant is the blood of Jesus Christ, God's son, the perfect and spotless Pesach lamb who died on a cross at Calvary for all of us.

Best

I

According to Acts 16:31 there is only one absolutely mandatory thing one needs to believe, in order to be called a Christian. 

31 So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.”

This may sound simplistic, but that's what the bible says. There's nothing complicated about following the Lord Jesus Christ, all we need to do is believe in Him and we shall be saved.

• Well Said! 1