IGNORED

Do prophet's exist here on earth? How do I know if someone claims to be a real prophet of God? And are their apostles here on earth?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,506
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

15 hours ago, Kristina said:

I'm asking these questions as about seven or eight years ago, a man came to me claiming he was a prophet sent from God and I received a foot washing and almost immediately was given the gift of speaking in tongues. Was this man really a prophet of God...

Other's here have said some good things.  One mentioned that if this person predicted something that doesn't come to pass, that's a clear indicator that they are not speaking for God.  I think another commented that all can prophesy, as it says in 1st Cor 14:31, but the word here does not necessarily mean to predict the future, but also to speak something from God.  So all true believers can now, through the indwelling Spirit of God, speak something from Him that will build-up others in the body of Christ.

And that brings me to this point - pray and ask the Lord if He has really sent this person to you.  You have the inner Anointing (Christ lives in you), so He will give you the proper inclination.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,119
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  0

15 hours ago, Kristina said:

I'm asking these questions as about seven or eight years ago, a man came to me claiming he was a prophet sent from God and I received a foot washing and almost immediately was given the gift of speaking in tongues. Was this man really a prophet of God...

People miss the SEA CHANGE we had upon Jesus death. He returned from heaven after 8 days with the gift of the holy spirit. We can therefore go to Corinthians 12 and see what the gifts of the spirit are.

1 Cor. 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. 12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

So, we do not so much have "Prophets" as the body in full, has the Gifts via Christ's FULL BODY in unison, to whom He will God gives these varied gifts. So, if I have a gift of healing, discernment and prophesy at times, does that make me a "Prophet"? Well, no not in Old Testament terms when it mostly meant bringing Israel (and the whole world later on) the word of God. 

This is why people get upset when I say Paul's letters are not God's Prophetic word per se. It is of God, but the Old Testament Prophets did not give us half the correspondence,  we got everything God told the Prophet and how the prophet communicated with God. In the letters of Paul to the churches we got a one sided reply in most cases, and at times Paul would say remember when I was with you I told you these things, so we are left hanging. The RCC made these letters Holy Writ. Because of this many people get confused with things like the Rapture. If we had the full two way correspondence, it would no doubt not be confusing. I think God's Word was brought by the Old Testament Prophets, then God delivered the book of Revelation to John. The Epistles in the New Testament are just that words of encouragement unto the varied Churches and Saints. The Gospels are of course a testament unto Christ Jesus. For instance, is Satan really the one "sitting in the temple" or did Paul study and that was his opinion? Maybe God chose to give those things to Daniel and John but not Paul !! Neither of them say that, Jesus in Matt. 24:15-17 mentions something standing in the temples (holy place) but never says its a man. 

Both Daniel and John seems to say its the False Prophet doing this at the 1290, and since the Beast only conquers Israel 30 days later at the 1260 then the 1290 event cant be him. I think some kid of AI like unto the Anti-Christ is placed in the temple, I don't think the Beast is going to reside in a temple. 

Prophets in the Old Testament had to get away from mankind, go into the wilderness or desert into order to hear CLEARLY because every word had to be spot on. That is where some went wrong in the last election cycle, IMHO, I saw Trump winning but still "losing" because the time of the Anti-Christ was at hand and we had to fall aa a nation for the E.U. to arise. Biden was the perfect guy to bring that to pass. He's not there, so the Demons far and wide are running things in full in Wash. DC.  Now, I always though Trump would win and be the President (Trump........LAST TRUMP) at the Rapture. God does things like that and always has.

I'm rambling, the gist is, today Prophesy gifts are there, but they are different, its God using Prophetic utterance to many people for the good of the whole. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,226
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, warrior12 said:

What do you mean  ?.  Should it not always be 100%. ?.    The word prophet is used to liberally .  

So, the question is , can demons counterfeit the work of spiritual gifts ?.  When Moses staff was turned into a serpent, Pharaohs magicians did the exact same thing .  There are numerous types of occult and other mysterious organization that is involved with the spiritual realm and can use these to manipulate.   That is  the reason we are warned to put on the full armor of God.

Acts 16:16-34

Amplified Bible, Classic Edition

16 As we were on our way to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who was possessed by a spirit of divination [claiming to foretell future events and to discover hidden knowledge], and she brought her owners much gain by her fortunetelling.

When it's all nonsense or occult I would stay away, but 1 Corinthians 13, oh in part, the Dutch translation says imperfect.

For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
I Corinthians 13:9‭-‬10 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/1co.13.9-10.NKJV

And why else did they have to judge?

Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge.
I Corinthians 14:29 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/1co.14.29.NKJV

He calls them prophets. If they prophecied perfect nobody would have to judge it.

In one church I went to the pastor would just say if someone had a supposed word from the Lord: oh nice. Write it down. So he could check it, because it became a mess. Some had to be stopped. They were negative and it wasn't from God. And you can't just let that go on if they rebuke people who then get upset and think it's God.

Edited by RdJ

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,036
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

11 hours ago, BibleStudent100 said:

when those who had received the miraculous gifts through them passed from the earthly scene, the supernatural gifts of the spirit, including speaking in tongues, ceased.

Not true.

• Thumbs Up 3

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  2,452
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

4 hours ago, RdJ said:

For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
https://bible.com/bible/114/1co.13.9-10.NKJV

What do you understand by the verse above and how does it apply to  believers today in reference to prophets and prophecy ?. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  1.60

13 hours ago, Jaydub said:

To you and others who think prophesy has ceased what do you say about acts 2:17 

“‘In the last days, God says,    I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,   your young men will see visions,    your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women   I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
    and they will prophesy.

Acts 2:17 is actually a quote from Joel. So it goes back almost 3,000 years. But anyway, this is taking about the end times, either the Tribulation or the millennium. It is not talking about today. If you believe it refers to today, I request reasons for that belief. I will also make the point that in this particular context of Acts 2:17, it's taking about people proclaiming God's word, not making predictions as is most people's understanding of a prophet. The context also seems to indicate that everyone both young and old will have this ability, further showing it will not be a few specific people but EVERYONE who has this gift, and clearly that's not going on today. So that's my 2 cents. I didn't know if that helped or created more confusion. God Bless. 

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,036
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, TrueFollowerOfChrist said:

not making predictions as is most people's understanding of a prophet.

Can you provide facts to substantiate that claim.

In all my years, 7 decades, prophecy has not been a synonym for prediction. There has been enough said on Worthy already about that misconception.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,226
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

2 hours ago, warrior12 said:

What do you understand by the verse above and how does it apply to  believers today in reference to prophets and prophecy ?. 

Dutch translation says imperfect. It's not perfect. Just like a preacher may say something wrong. I'm not saying that a blatant false prophecy is okay.

People have to learn to discern what is from God and what is not.

https://www.herschepping.nl/04nl/ggaven_04profeteren.php

It happens that people utter alleged prophecies that come from their own inner being. It is also wise if someone has a prophecy during a meeting, to first test it with the leaders of the church. This prevents a spurious prophecy, which arises from the imagination of the speaker, from being accepted as coming from God. For example, prophecies should not in any way contradict what the Bible says. It is not without reason that the gift of 'discernment of spirits' is also mentioned in the Bible (1 Corinthians 12:10), especially to be able to distinguish the expressions of God's Spirit from other expressions. In practice, more than half of the prophecies spoken during congregational meetings do not come from God. Testing is therefore really necessary. After all, prophesying is also something people must LEARN.

For instance there was a preacher years ago who said to a man with cancer: God says: I will rebuke the cancer worm. Oh no wait. He was English. He said cankerworm. The Dutch translator translated it as kankerworm, cancerworm. That is not a thing. But the guy got faith and got healed. 

In the end we will be like Jesus and see Him as He is.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  2,452
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

4 hours ago, RdJ said:

Dutch translation says imperfect. It's not perfect. Just like a preacher may say something wrong. I'm not saying that a blatant false prophecy is okay.

People have to learn to discern what is from God and what is not.

Ok. What about the second part of the verse of--

But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,129
  • Content Per Day:  9.64
  • Days Won:  149

5 hours ago, RdJ said:

In practice, more than half of the prophecies spoken during congregational meetings do not come from God. Testing is therefore really necessary. After all, prophesying is also something people must LEARN.

I think this is a stretch. At the meetings I have attended the words were edifying and accurate.