IGNORED

Do prophet's exist here on earth? How do I know if someone claims to be a real prophet of God? And are their apostles here on earth?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,265
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

On 5/5/2024 at 10:23 PM, Kristina said:

I'm asking these questions as about seven or eight years ago, a man came to me claiming he was a prophet sent from God and I received a foot washing and almost immediately was given the gift of speaking in tongues. Was this man really a prophet of God...

Where we ask these types of questions really matters. Now for me yes there are prophets today for its written 1st Cor 12 28 " And God hath set some in the church: first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracle workers, then those with gifts of healing, helpers, administrators, and those with diversity of tongues."

But they are not like they were in the OT where if a prophet spoke you best listen. As one said to another who said he was speaking for God "when did the spirit leave me to you". See today we all that believe in trust in Jesus Christ have that spirit so a prophet can not tell you what to do. They will do as they did with Paul " he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles."

Acts is Christianity. Now according to what I read the gifts that go with a prophet will be there and they never have to keep telling everyone "I am a prophet" because you will know. 

If you ask in a place where gifts have say ceased will get a different answer. Wise to ask but search pray ask Him.. just believe He has not changed. Yes there are real prophets today but let me add I have never in 55y in the lord seen so many prophets/apostles. Christ said in the last days many false prophets will come. Someone that says the lord said or some teaching that is off in error those are not false prophets . Well one they don't say they are a prophet. No we not stone prophets today when they are wrong. Sorry we all get it wrong we all miss it.. we repent we get up dust off keep going. We love them we speak words of life. We are not over them we are not their judge we do not condemn. We love.. 

They fall we pray we help because that's how Christ treats us every time we miss it get it wrong goof up be it sin or some silly wrong doctrine. Yeah you find the real believers are know by their love one for another. Sorry got lost there. You will know  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

On 5/6/2024 at 9:11 PM, TrueFollowerOfChrist said:

Acts 2:17 is actually a quote from Joel. So it goes back almost 3,000 years. But anyway, this is taking about the end times, either the Tribulation or the millennium. It is not talking about today. If you believe it refers to today, I request reasons for that belief.

To answer your request I will use Peter, As you point out Peter is quoting Joel, but why is Peter quoting Joel? Because the Holy Spirit has filled the believers and they were speaking in tongues and everyone heard them in their own language, but some men were making fun of them, saying they were drunk.

To address this, Peter says these men are not drunk, this is what the prophet Joel spoke. " in the last days I will pour out my spirit" Peter is using this scripture as proof that these men are not drunk, but filled with the Holy Spirit. Peter has concluded that he was in the last days because The Spirit of God has been poured out on all people, if Peter believed he was in the last days, then we surly are now in the last days

Acts 2 :17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,972
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

On 5/6/2024 at 7:10 AM, Neighbor said:

Well maybe so for the canon as organized, separated, booked, chaptered, and versified,  by Thomas Nelson Publishers, eh?

Seriously the Bible in it's many various English versions is a very best effort, but those versions are NOT inspired. For some have  been altered for the convenience ( and financial advantage) of the publishers. Example the separating of the one  book Kings into two books, was done for easier binding of it as a separate study into two books.  Plus two books  instead of one makes for another book to be able to sell and make gain from.

None of which takes away from the Bible's truths at all. It is just that man has indeed made uninspired alterations including  the convenience of verses, chapters and even book divisions.  

Second Kings 10:34 in three versions 

New International Version
As for the other events of Jehu’s reign, all he did, and all his achievements, are they not written in the book of the annals of the kings of Israel?

New Living Translation
The rest of the events in Jehu’s reign—everything he did and all his achievements—are recorded in The Book of the History of the Kings of Israel.

English Standard Version
Now the rest of the acts of Jehu and all that he did, and all his might, are they not written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel? 

2 hours ago, Jaydub said:

To answer your request I will use Peter, As you point out Peter is quoting Joel, but why is Peter quoting Joel? Because the Holy Spirit has filled the believers and they were speaking in tongues and everyone heard them in their own language, but some men were making fun of them, saying they were drunk.

To address this, Peter says these men are not drunk, this is what the prophet Joel spoke. " in the last days I will pour out my spirit" Peter is using this scripture as proof that these men are not drunk, but filled with the Holy Spirit. Peter has concluded that he was in the last days because The Spirit of God has been poured out on all people, if Peter believed he was in the last days, then we surly are now in the last days

Acts 2 :17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

I am posting from Acts 2:17-21 from Peter's speech on the day of Pentecost. Peter spoke those words as they were happening as the prophesy of Joel came to pass. These last days in Joel are the day of Pentecost and their after. Those things as recorded in Joel cannot or impossible to happen within the Covenant of Sinai and only can happen and they happened within the New Covenant as we live after the fact of these events it is easy for us to understand the time that they happened. The statement that I will pour out my Spirit on all people that it should include both the jews and Gentiles in the faith of Jesus Christ. And Sons and daughters includes the children of the believers at a very young age prophesying and continues with the young and older men which indicates that the Spirit of God will pour upon all his children in Jesus Christ regardless of age when they first believed and continues later on upon their children's children blessing without end. In the next sentence the Spirit will be pour upon everyone regardless of gender as both the men and  women were blessed as God call both men and women his servants in the New and as we learn later the Enuchs who were excluded in the Old were included in the New and that will include the other people who were excluded in the Old who were born disabled. That's is telling us that in striking difference from the old who only men were the servants of God and only men could stand in the presence of God. The women were called to be the Royal Priesthood together with the men. This is amazing as the Gentiles believers were also included in equal portions. And verse 21 says that in the Grate Day of the Lord everyone inclusive who calls on the name of the Lord will be Save and we know this is the Day of the Gospel of Jesus Christ the beginning of the preaching of the Gospel as in the day of Pentecost as Peter told them that the prophetic in Joel it was for everyone who had believed and will believe there after. Verses 19-20 Peter described somethings as they had just happened. Things that signify the end of the Old Covenant and the beginning of the New Covenant. 

17 “‘In the last days, God says,
    I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
    your young men will see visions,
    your old men will dream dreams.
18 Even on my servants, both men and women,
    I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
    and they will prophesy.
19 I will show wonders in the heavens above
    and signs on the earth below,
    blood and fire and billows of smoke.
20 The sun will be turned to darkness
    and the moon to blood
    before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.
21 And everyone who calls
    on the name of the Lord will be saved.’[c]

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,985
  • Content Per Day:  12.25
  • Days Won:  31

On 5/7/2024 at 10:02 AM, TrueFollowerOfChrist said:

Today we have a complete Bible with everything God wants humankind to know. It's illogical for there to be prophets when we already have a complete message from God. Plus even if there were prophets anything they would say would have to match what scripture already says, so it would be redundant anyway. There's no logical reason for a prophet to exist today. 

Hi @TrueFollowerOfChrist I would agree; and 1 Cor. 13 says 'when that which is perfect is come'; some commentators see this as a ref. to the completion of Scripture.

If we have sufficient authority to declare the Gospel confidently, then no need for wonders and signs (as in Acts, when the books of the Bible were not all yet complete).

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

16 hours ago, farouk said:

Hi @TrueFollowerOfChrist I would agree; and 1 Cor. 13 says 'when that which is perfect is come'; some commentators see this as a ref. to the completion of Scripture

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.  For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.  When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known

Has knowledge passed away? when will these things pass away?  When completion comes. When does completion come? when we see him face to face. according to this scripture tongues and prophesy will be here until Christ returns

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,556
  • Content Per Day:  7.14
  • Days Won:  100

1 minute ago, Jaydub said:

Has knowledge passed away? when will these things pass away?  When completion comes. When does completion come? when we see him face to face. according to this scripture tongues and prophesy will be here until Christ returns

That's my understanding of the passage as well. Until we are with the Lord in fullness, the imperfect remains. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

That's my understanding of the passage as well. Until we are with the Lord in fullness, the imperfect remains. 

In Heaven we are in the light of Jesus Christ and we will  continually learn and at time we will see some of the things we knew with perfect clarity. And we will understand some of our misconceptions. Peter in 1 Peter 1: 13-14 13 I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, 14 because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. I am convinced that the Lord will let us know ahead of time when that time will be. He will give us the word of knowledge in this matter. One of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. You must have this gift because He had asked you to take up this service to others and he must have equip you with this gift. He must have informed you that you are going to meet someone he wanted you to meet ahead of time when the meeting happens. 

Edited by Your closest friendnt
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

Posted (edited)

I think there is a conflation of meaning that is mixed with prophecy and prophet. While they are similar.  Prophet and prophecy are of the divine, while the other two are of our own human reasoning or volition.

The Christian has to get his theology in right standing or he can be led by the demonic, and decetiful persons, who takes advantage of their ignorance.  We know of many who have lost their entire life fortunes, by chalatans who used the biblical teachings in clever ways.  Test the spirits, we are warned and that  comes with perseverance for truth and not by men who claim to be people who  are questionable.

When the Lord gives his messages to reveal unto man, no matter what the situation, it has to be one hundred percent from him and he is perfect, so there will be no imperfect outcome.  Our own will, though it may well meaning, cannot be associated with prophecy and that of a prophet.

Edit. Discernment is a gift that the Lord has bestowed upon believers to navigate through our journey while we are here, but still it is not prophecy that are divine pronouncement from God. These are my own present conclusion in brief about prophecy and there I think, the beliefs and interpretation of the scriptual context, still has to be thought out or reasoned, as this is such an important part of a believers walk.

1.    intuition

2. discernment

3. prophet and prophecy

Edited by warrior12
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  644
  • Content Per Day:  0.71

On 5/5/2024 at 11:23 PM, Kristina said:

I'm asking these questions as about seven or eight years ago, a man came to me claiming he was a prophet sent from God and I received a foot washing and almost immediately was given the gift of speaking in tongues. Was this man really a prophet of God...

Greetings Kristina...and a greatly belated congratulations...

I have been watching this forum since the day Kristina posted her testimony 05/06/24.

First to Kristina…for you sister it is going to be a matter of faith. Look closely at your life over the past months or years and determine where you are on your journey of spiritual discernment and maturity in Christ. Was there anyone to help you with this new grace or gift so that you could grow accordingly?

Is this a gift you desired? Now that you are gifted in this way…do you express it openly in an assembly…where there is interpretation or is it more of a “personal time” interaction with the Holy Spirit…or both?

The 4th of the “elementary principals”…or…the “doctrines of Christ”…is the laying on of hands to confirm, commission, impart, heal, deliver and so on…as the Body has need.

So yes Kristina…it is possible and likely that he was at some level a prophet sent by God…why don’t you tell us what you think some 7 or 8 years down the road? How as this grace benefitted the Body of Christ and you yourself? That would be the point…for a prophet to be sent…to build up the Body of Christ. I think this would help settle the matter for you.

Tatwo...:)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1