• Group:  Soapbox - Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/11/1932

I know I am an old foggy but this disguests me. Am I wrong?

LAS VEGAS--Tech companies are getting religion.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  526
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/25/1984

I don't find the idea presented by the article disgusting at all. I do, however, find the way the article was written to be slightly repulsing. The author didn't focus enough on that he was talking about only a few churches, instead, making it appear that all churches are or should be like that. I also didn't like the way the author made it seem that the media is the center of the service. Rather than showing that Christ is the focal point of the service, and the media is just the "fluff," the author makes it seem like people go to these churches for just the media. Which, I suppose, is a valid concern. Now, that brings me to my last thought. The danger with this is that people could make the media to be the center of the service where they just go to be wowed by some great emotional overload, not focusing at all on the work that the Spirit should be doing.

As a worship leader myself, I am faced with this dilemma often. I mean, when I'm choosing songs for each week's service, the pastor will tell me the topic of the service so I can find songs that will relate. Sometimes, I'll find a song that I think is really good, a really moving song about what the pastor is going to speak on, only it would have to be a solo or duet, not a worship song. This leads to the question of how many times I can do that before the service becomes a concert. I am not leading worship to get my face or my name out, I'm just there to worship my Savior, and hopefully He can use me to touch a few people. That was another concern that I had about this article. Some of the people interviewed had lost the focus of the service. Media can draw your attention, but it can also be distracting.

You certainly aren't wrong for being turned off by this, it is a disconcerting, to be sure, but I think it can have a lot of merit, or be fatally wrong, all depending on how it's used.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

I can't really tell the difference between Joel Osteen's glitz and bling and the Superbowl Half-time entertainment.

We seem to heap upon ourselves a host of 'teachers' ...who cater to whatever our itching ears long to hear...

2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

• Group:  Soapbox - Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  962
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/11/1932

From The Berean Call daily email, April 26, 2006:

"Go ye therefore into all the world and trick them into the Kingdom of

Heaven with hospitality, affection and raucous entertainment?" Is that the

Great Commission? Did Jesus tempt His followers two thousand years ago with

promises of bread and fish to drop by and hear His Sermon on the Mount? Did

he gather singers to wail from the hillside in order to lure them in for a

little Good News? No, the Bible says "it pleased God by the foolishness of

preaching to save them that believe." - 1st Corinthians 1:21

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Why is it that worship and music are synonymous? I always thought that worship was giving God the upmost reverence. Is to much emphasis being put on the show?

As a professional musician, I have always struggled with playing in the worship band because

a) People tend to get into the music more than the message

b) I find myself checking to see if anybody noticed the hot lick I just played

c) My objective as a professional musician is to capture the audience's attention while a worship musician should be directing the attention to the Lord

Spending 4 million dollars on production sickens me because it seems that particular church is going for quantity instead of quality.

I don't recall reading in the bible where Jesus had to resort to bells and whistles to get His message out.

If people want to recieve the word, they will recieve it without the fanfare.

Chalk up onother one for the "business" of church.

gag

• Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

Amen, Geri! :)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

I know I am an old foggy but this disguests me. Am I wrong?

LAS VEGAS--Tech companies are getting religion.

I am not opposed to the use of technology, but I am opposed to the dumbing down and distortion of the gospel many of these high profile "ministries". They get so caught up in maintaining and entertaining large audiences that they want a message that attracts, and thus the sinful distortion. About 2 years ago I began using powerpoint in my sermon presentation and I have watched a tremendous change in the audience. It has made me more concise and the audience a more attentive student with a desire to write things down. I have been able to use video clips to show the need to give to missions by showing pictures that surpass my ability to sell the need. So, technology is not all bad.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

It's not the technology that's bad, it's where the emphasis is placed.

Power point is a far cry from a 4 million dollar production show.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  600
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,388
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

Why is it that worship and music are synonymous? I always thought that worship was giving God the upmost reverence. Is to much emphasis being put on the show?

As a professional musician, I have always struggled with playing in the worship band because

b) I find myself checking to see if anybody noticed the hot lick I just played

c) My objective as a professional musician is to capture the audience's attention while a worship musician should be directing the attention to the Lord

Spending 4 million dollars on production sickens me because it seems that particular church is going for quantity instead of quality.

I don't recall reading in the bible where Jesus had to resort to bells and whistles to get His message out.

If people want to recieve the word, they will recieve it without the fanfare.

Chalk up onother one for the "business" of church.

gag

I don't disagree with your main stand here Gerioke, but Jesus being who He is really didn't need to use whistles and bells to get His message out........ he just raised the dead and heald the sick....... I've looked for a church that could do that since I was 5 years old......... How he spoke to the 5,000 men and no telling how many women and kids without the aid of a sound system is beyond me.

Wait till the holligraphic generators come out working like reality and they can just replay last years stuff and go sit with the rest of the people and enjoy themselves.....

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  07/24/1985

I don't see a difference between the two. The Message is in the music. I can understand why people would get into it more because singing to the Lord together with everyone is very connecting; connecting to God and to each other. When the preacher is speaking, I feel seperated from everyone...I prefer to sing, or to have small discussion groups where I know I can participate. Put in my input and ask questions.

The important thing is that the people are really sincere about what they sing.