Reading the Bible in a year

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

why not read it in a weeks time? plenty of people read longer books and plow through them in a couple of days.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  364
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

hmmm that is a good question,I really never put myself on a schedule for bible reading

I think because I go back and forth so much with my reading.

For example I have read through the bible over the years sometimes hitting the same

area often.

I feel this may be that the Lord is pushing me for a closer look and that maybe my understanding in that area is not complete and often I find He is right and find

myself amazed in realization of it. So I guess my answer would be that a year

is restrictive in learning we need to let the Lord guide us in our understanding!

God Bless!

:emot-highfive:

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

why not read it in a weeks time? plenty of people read longer books and plow through them in a couple of days.

The Bible is the Word of God revealed by the Spirit. It is for our upbuilding and teaching and judging of our hearts. All of this takes time. We are not in a race to see who can read the most in the shortest time. The Word is to be considered and meditated upon, pondered and obeyed. We are all different in our approach. But for the Word to be implanted in our hearts so that it can do a work there time must be involved.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

I would find that impossible...

way to many "Selah"'s in there for me... :)

ok, i mis-spoke a bit, being anxious to make a point. i did some investigating and here is what i found.

my wife is a huge stephen king fan. she read the stand, clocking in at 464,218 words, in a weeks time. the bible is around 750,000 words. so, with the interest of a modern fan of a modern author, the bible could easily be read in two weeks time. that means that in a years time, a person could have read the bible 25 times easily and by that time probably memorized half of it by default. i would say that would be an investment in eternity for sure.

btw, the top four longest novels contain over a million words each. no wonder lit students seem so preoccupide. and at number 6 we have the ultimate atheist, ayn rand with 'Atlas Shrugged', 645,000 words.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/02/1949

ok, i mis-spoke a bit, being anxious to make a point. i did some investigating and here is what i found.

my wife is a huge stephen king fan. she read the stand, clocking in at 464,218 words, in a weeks time. the bible is around 750,000 words. so, with the interest of a modern fan of a modern author, the bible could easily be read in two weeks time. that means that in a years time, a person could have read the bible 25 times easily and by that time probably memorized half of it by default. i would say that would be an investment in eternity for sure.

btw, the top four longest novels contain over a million words each. no wonder lit students seem so preoccupide. and at number 6 we have the ultimate atheist, ayn rand with 'Atlas Shrugged', 645,000 words.

One thing is certain. It isn't difficult to read the bible through. A year is a long time. Christians should read the scriptures daily.

The bible is food for a spiritual man.

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

I wonder how much time those who find it difficult to read the bible through spend watching televison or reading other books.

I have found it easy to read the bible through more than once a year. I find it soothing to listen to Alexander Scourby read the bible in my office.

Here is a neat sight for people to listen to the bible.

http://www.audio-bible.com/bible/bible.html

A person could listen to the bible while surfing. I like to read along as the late Alexander Scourbey reads. It helps you to know how to pronounce some of the difficult names and places in the bible.

I hope everyone will spend more time in the word.

I know people who only open their bibles if they are doing a study at church or in a home bible study. We need to be Bereans and search the scriptures daily.

The bible is an awesome book and the author is God Himself.

The apostle Peter was an eyewitness of Christ and heard the voice of God in person and yet he calls the scriptures a "more sure word".

2 Peter 1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

2 Peter 1:17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

2 Peter 1:18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.

2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

2 Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

I agree with you thechild. The bible could be read more than once a year. Once a year is a good start.

I would encourage all believers to study the word often and not just the passages they feel comfortable with.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Amen! :blink:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

I encourage christians to get a copy of the Book of Common Prayer which has a daily office in the back of the book which contains scriptural references for daily readings. It will complete the entire Bible in 3 years, each day has a reading from an epistle, the Old Testament and from a Gospel, and usually a Psalm, year one focuses on Matthew two on Mark 3 on Luke and John is sprinkled throughout especially in seasons of Lent and Advent.

This would not be near the same as reading through the Bible... :24:

Better reading Scripture for yourself, in my opinion... :blink:

A person could listen to the bible while surfing. I like to read along as the late Alexander Scourbey reads. It helps you to know how to pronounce some of the difficult names and places in the bible.

I know people who only open their bibles if they are doing a study at church or in a home bible study. We need to be Bereans and search the scriptures daily.

The apostle Peter was an eyewitness of Christ and heard the voice of God in person and yet he calls the scriptures a "more sure word".

2 Peter 1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

2 Peter 1:17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

2 Peter 1:18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.

2 Peter 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:

2 Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

2 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

I agree with you thechild. The bible could be read more than once a year. Once a year is a good start.

I would encourage all believers to study the word often and not just the passages they feel comfortable with.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

thanks for the link. that great line delivered by robert newton in the movie treasure island has always seemed to apply to me and my journey and i love the way he delivers it:

"Poor rovin' seamen the likes o' you needs every scrap o' scripture 'e can get."

• Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

thanks for the link. that great line delivered by robert newton in the movie treasure island has always seemed to apply to me and my journey and i love the way he delivers it:

"Poor rovin' seamen the likes o' you needs every scrap o' scripture 'e can get."

Hey...thanks for the Robert Newton quote...thanks mate...arggghh!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  04/26/1932

2Ti 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Bob,what Scripture was he talking about?

What's your point?