• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/02/1949

I am a Christian. I talk to people. And I fit the approach according to the person and situation. Not everyone is ready for me to bring out my Bible or even to hear quotes. Some are ready only for a sympathetic ear and a short response. Really, we do have to be led of the Spirit. And most of us have the Word of God hidden in our hearts waiting for the appropriate time of revealing. I think there is room in Christ for this type of approach.

The issue here is about using the bible for doctrine or "sharing or faith" with non-believers.

It isn't about "shooting the moon" or giving a "sympathetic ear" to someone that is hurting.

I don't pull out my bibe when I am getting a speeding ticket or asking someone where the nearest gas station is located.

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

I haven't read a single post where anyone even remotely suggested that we cannot share the "word" that we have hid in our hearts. I do think if we are going to share this word we need to give credit to the author of our salvation. Don't you?

Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

"It is written"

God bless,

Robert

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Pro 15:23 A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word [spoken] in due season, how good [is it]!

Great thread Rober! :noidea:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

I really do not know what shooting the moon is.

But regardless, of course the Word is the basis for all sharing of doctrine and of course we give credit. I am trying to say that there are different approaches. And there is room for different ways of speaking to people.

I have talked of salvation to people who would have run the other way if I had pulled out a Bible.

I do not understand the insistence of there being such a narrow approach so long as the Word is the guideline. Jesus himself used many different ways of approaching individual people including reading the script. But He always had the truth. So should we.

Well anyway,

Blessings

Use of scripture is not always necessary and I use it when it is..but I also believe that God teaches us things in our lives that are important and can be applied to the scripture..using life experiences to assist in teaching or tesitmony is very important as well..

I am glad that God made us all differently and we all have choices in how we aproach the believer and the non-believer..if everyone did it the same maybe not as many would get it.

Life's experience is not what I base my faith on.

How we live our lives is important no doubt but it is the gospel that is the power of God. No one is going to be saved because we live good lives. It may tweak the interest of someone but it is ultimately the message from God that needs to be believed for salvation.

1 Corinthians 1:21-23 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

The gospel is not the message the world wants to hear. If preaching needs to be dressed in the wisdom of the world then the bible is wrong...

Thank God we have His word to tell us the truth.

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Guest jckduboise

Use of scripture is not always necessary and I use it when it is..but I also believe that God teaches us things in our lives that are important and can be applied to the scripture..using life experiences to assist in teaching or tesitmony is very important as well..

I am glad that God made us all differently and we all have choices in how we aproach the believer and the non-believer..if everyone did it the same maybe not as many would get it.

Life's experience is not what I base my faith on.

How we live our lives is important no doubt but it is the gospel that is the power of God. No one is going to be saved because we live good lives. It may tweak the interest of someone but it is ultimately the message from God that needs to be believed for salvation.

1 Corinthians 1:21-23 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

The gospel is not the message the world wants to hear. If preaching needs to be dressed in the wisdom of the world then the bible is wrong...

Thank God we have His word to tell us the truth.

1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

I don't base mine on it either..to assume that is what I was saying is in err on your part.

I said I do not feel that pulling out scripture every time I speak to a believer or non believer is necessary..we have all done things in our lives that teach us the very lessons that the scriptures tell us about..when being asked for proof, I can give scripture and I can give the teachings of the scriptures in my life experiences to back it up....and vice versa.

Have a great evening.

Stay in God's word and share it with the lost. :noidea:

In His service and your brother in Christ,

Robert

Pro 15:23 A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word [spoken] in due season, how good [is it]!

Great thread Rober! :noidea:

Thanks traveller. :thumbsup:

Galatians 6:9-10 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  583
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/14/1962

I am not taking issue with those of you who want to use the word wisely. I am taking issue with the idea that opening the bible and sharing our faith is not good.

I am not ashamed of God's word. It is a sword and it cuts both ways.

Rober H First of all I find your condescending attitude towards others approach to sharing the Gospel, myself included, to be boorish and broadly generalizing. I read from no one in this post that they were "ashamed of God's word" or that "opening the Bible and sharing faith is not good" as you have stated. Sometimes "tact" (Definition: Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending), and timing is necessary to reach certain individuals who may be resistant for any number of reasons. It is this sensitivity which can actually open doors for Christ into these harder to reach individuals.

Secondly, remember also that both Christ and the apostles "referenced" the Old Testament constantly, but they also spoke of themselves to communicate their points.

At lastly, Exclusive use of Scripture can lead to very improper use of the Word, as it ends up being taken out of context quite often to suit ones argument. This I find offensive. Everyone communicates God in Christ very differently, and all are needed in these dark times, so if they are "Scripturally based" Christians their approach should not draw your disdain.

And if this is not clear, I will leave you with the words of our Lord to help you better understand.

John 12:47

And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not:

for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

if He did not judge, it most certainly is not your place to.

Grace, mercy, and peace to you

in the name of God our Father

and the Lord Jesus Christ

in His service

-CC-

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

I heard a very interesting point on the raido last week. In the NT, it talks all about preaching the word, but it really doesnt give any form to how we should. It doesnt say you should teach someone this way or that way. Which of course was really smart of God to do. So you can cross any cultural border.

In a culture were "bible thumping" is generally ignored, quoting the bible straight up wont get you anywhere. But speaking to someone about the message of a passage will work beautifully. The believer never eers from the word, they just deliver the Word in a different context - saying God's word in another way, using personal experiances and such.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

God The Holy Spirit will lead us to what to say to (or do for) each person when we are listening to Him closely.

I am sure that all of us do use our Bibles. I know I do.

I did not see anyone say they don't ever use theirs.

It is vital to speak to and not just at others to show the love in God.

[ beware; Many cults do use Scriptures out of context and think they are using Bibles (when they aren't really at all) and like to battle excerpts. The Bible is meant to be read and studied and not just read others books and then check out some out of context verse. That way is verymisleading]

But, I have found (because GOd has shown me) many ways to study and to share the Bible and Jesus with many people, Praise God!

We need to pray for other persons we are going to speak to both before and after also.

There are so many ways to share the Bible, I do believe it is endless! How wonderful!

The Holy Spirit is our Teacher and HE will teach us when we pray and study Gods Word! Praise God!

The Holy Spirit convicts the hearts of man.

Not by men, nor might, but by My Spirit, saith the Lord.

May God lead in all we do in Christ our Lord and Saviour