IGNORED

Questions Regarding "Prophets"

Ovedya

Guest jckduboise

I also have a question..how can anyone possibly consider drawing a line? Paul who was Saul was a persecutor.

Am I in support of Mormon..no!..is it possible that prophets could come from people who are....Mormon..oh yeah! With God anything is possible

You can tell a leopard by it's spots! God IS NOT going to use a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness to speak forth His word!!! You are skating on the thin ice of universalism here, Jackie. God could well reveal Himself to a Mormon or JW, but only in the context of showing them His love and leading them out of the cult they're in. Do not attempt to back pedal and say "I mean this" or "I meant that;" no, we have your very words right here saying that God could use a Mormon as a prophet. A true prophet of God would not be saying that.

then have me kicked out ronald i don't really care at this point your opinion or any others..you don't have a clue what a true prophet would say..and I never claimed to be one nor have I ever wanted to give the impression..would most certainly shock me if He used you as one..but I would never say it couldn't happen..

good evening

Yes, I do have a "clue" what a true prophet would say. A true prophet of God would not say that God could use someone who is steeped in a false religion WITHOUT converting them. I, for one, would be shocked if God used me as a prophet, but hey, never say never I suppose! :emot-questioned::P

have a good evening ronald..God bless

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

CFS wrote.

Would you say that Paul and Jeremiah were not true prophets of God? Were they prideful?

No they were very humble and were annointed to write their words down for the whole world to see. They certainly weren't wannabes and weren't looking for a pat on the back. We know God spoke to them because it is in His Holy Word.

Jesus said He came to fulfil the laws of Moses and the words of the prophets and He left the apostles to finish to preach His gospel. Finito. Everything we need to know is in the bible........that is, as far as I'm concerned.

Eric,

Truly you and I do not share the same theology concerning the spiritual gift of prophecy for today, but that aside, what I was dealing with in my prior comments to which you were referring was the fact that some people on here are telling people things that they are not supporting with scripture, yet they are stating them as fact, and they are being judgmental, but not by God's standards. My contention is that if someone tells someone that they are being prideful if they say such and such, then they need to support that statement scripturally. I gave the examples of Paul and Jeremiah to show that it is not prideful to state that God has called you to a particular task if by stating that you are establishing the authority by which you speak, nor is it an immediate declaration that they are not who they say they are merely because they said they were who they are.

I also have a question..how can anyone possibly consider drawing a line? Paul who was Saul was a persecutor.

Am I in support of Mormon..no!..is it possible that prophets could come from people who are....Mormon..oh yeah! With God anything is possible

You can tell a leopard by it's spots! God IS NOT going to use a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness to speak forth His word!!! You are skating on the thin ice of universalism here, Jackie. God could well reveal Himself to a Mormon or JW, but only in the context of showing them His love and leading them out of the cult they're in. Do not attempt to back pedal and say "I mean this" or "I meant that;" no, we have your very words right here saying that God could use a Mormon as a prophet. A true prophet of God would not be saying that.

then have me kicked out ronald i don't really care at this point your opinion or any others..you don't have a clue what a true prophet would say..and I never claimed to be one nor have I ever wanted to give the impression..would most certainly shock me if He used you as one..but I would never say it couldn't happen..

good evening

Yes, I do have a "clue" what a true prophet would say. A true prophet of God would not say that God could use someone who is steeped in a false religion WITHOUT converting them. I, for one, would be shocked if God used me as a prophet, but hey, never say never I suppose! :P:P

Can't we all get along? :emot-questioned:

i am so glad you said what you said Sue..i always seem to come off as angry when i just don't seem to be able to express it this well..

thank you

Try not responding immediately. Take some deep breaths, pray, inquire of God, and then write what he puts on your heart to say. Try attacking the problem and not the person. And, use lots of smilies!! :emot-questioned:

For the record, I tend to agree with whoever is saying that someone steeped in false religion, such as Mormonism, is not likely to be used of God to speak his words. Nonetheless, I do recall that there were people in the Bible...

"It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice" (Phil 1:18 NIV).

Now, this is dealing with false motives, and the true gospel is still being preached, but the messenger is not the kind of person you would expect to be delivering God's message.

And, God used Balaam who was a false prophet of Baal to speak his words, so it is possible, but certainly not the rule. If I knew the person was from a false religion, I would definitely majorly test anything that person says against the word of God. But, then, let's define 'false religion.' I mean, what religion or church does not have some false teaching? I'm thinking out loud here. So, the important thing is to test what is being said no matter who the speaker is, meaning even if he or she is the most widely respected public preacher or teacher there is. I see too many followers of men, and it is not just in the Mormon religion, either. It is in all denominations, even non-denominationals. So, test it all, no matter who the speaker is or what church he or she comes from!

A true prophet of God would not say that God could use someone who is steeped in a false religion WITHOUT converting them. I, for one, would be shocked if God used me as a prophet, but hey, never say never I suppose! :emot-questioned::P

Question: Do you believe Balaam was converted first? I'm serious. I really don't know. I know he finally listened and did what God told him to do, but was he truly converted?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

good evening

Yes, I do have a "clue" what a true prophet would say. A true prophet of God would not say that God could use someone who is steeped in a false religion WITHOUT converting them. I, for one, would be shocked if God used me as a prophet, but hey, never say never I suppose! :P:24:

Can't we all get along? :emot-questioned:

:P I have no problem with anyone, but rather their pitiful exegis of Scripture. So, no, I'm afraid that if I'm being asked to accept that a Mormon could have prophetic insight, we will not be getting along very well.

:blink: I have no problem with anyone, but rather their pitiful exegis of Scripture. So, no, I'm afraid that if I'm being asked to accept that a Mormon could have prophetic insight, we will not be getting along very well.

I'm sorry, I was just trying to lighten things up a bit. Guess it bombed, huh? I'm certainly not asking you to accept anything. I was just trying to lessen some of the tension I was sensing between the two of you. Guess I should mind my own business, huh? :)

I agree that God is still speaking to his people today, but at the same time, prophetic words, dreams and even visions are not on par with scripture and cannot in any circumstance contradict it. I am somewhere in the middle on this debate. I am not closed minded to God speaking to us today as some are but I also do not go along with the idea that those words can be compared to the way God gave us the Bible as one person seemed to be saying. I would also be very skeptical about God speaking through a Mormon and knowing that they don't believe Jesus is diety, I definately wouldn't believe anything a Jehovah's Witness would tell me. Both of these religions believe God has given new revelations since the Bible was completed, the Mormons with the Book of Mormon, and the Jehovah's Witnesses through many people writing for the Watchtower publication. We have to be on guard because there are many false prophets in this day claiming to speak for God.

Unlike many, I am not bothered by the strong rebukes or warnings of judgements coming from prophets today. If God wasn't planning on judging this world as sinful as we have become I would be surprised, but just because the message is one of judgement doesn't make it anymore from God than one telling us to eat, drink and be merry. The thing that matters is that before we claim God said it, we must be absolutely sure, lest we be found guilty of prophesying presumptuously and bringing God's wrath upon ourselves. My only concern is that we not be so hasty to speak forth words of prophecy but first make sure it is really God and not our own imaginations. I believe you also said we should use caution before uttering "Thus saith the Lord" before anything so once again Sue, I think I am in agreement with you.

Cool!

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

I agree that God is still speaking to his people today, but at the same time, prophetic words, dreams and even visions are not on par with scripture and cannot in any circumstance contradict it. I am somewhere in the middle on this debate. I am not closed minded to God speaking to us today as some are but I also do not go along with the idea that those words can be compared to the way God gave us the Bible as one person seemed to be saying. I would also be very skeptical about God speaking through a Mormon and knowing that they don't believe Jesus is diety, I definately wouldn't believe anything a Jehovah's Witness would tell me. Both of these religions believe God has given new revelations since the Bible was completed, the Mormons with the Book of Mormon, and the Jehovah's Witnesses through many people writing for the Watchtower publication. We have to be on guard because there are many false prophets in this day claiming to speak for God.

Unlike many, I am not bothered by the strong rebukes or warnings of judgements coming from prophets today. If God wasn't planning on judging this world as sinful as we have become I would be surprised, but just because the message is one of judgement doesn't make it anymore from God than one telling us to eat, drink and be merry. The thing that matters is that before we claim God said it, we must be absolutely sure, lest we be found guilty of prophesying presumptuously and bringing God's wrath upon ourselves. My only concern is that we not be so hasty to speak forth words of prophecy but first make sure it is really God and not our own imaginations. I believe you also said we should use caution before uttering "Thus saith the Lord" before anything so once again Sue, I think I am in agreement with you.

Cool!

Quite so,

I am not trying to demean anyone or accusing them of being false prophets. I agree that God does talk to His children. as He does to me almost on a daily basis, through His holy spirit. He quickens me to scripture that I am a bit snagged on and directs me to the answer, or at an answer that unsnags me. That's one of the h/s purposes, to be a comforter as well as being the convictor of our sin. He guides us in our walk, if only we would listen.

It's not necessarily what people say about their visions or dreams, it's how they come across.

Sciptually, I hold Jackie, sue and butero in high esteem and all of them have a good handle on the Lord and His word, even though I'm a post tribber, so I would like everyone to take a coffee break and agree to disagree amicably.

have a nice day in Jesus.

eric

I am not trying to demean anyone or accusing them of being false prophets. I agree that God does talk to His children. as He does to me almost on a daily basis, through His holy spirit. He quickens me to scripture that I am a bit snagged on and directs me to the answer, or at an answer that unsnags me. That's one of the h/s purposes, to be a comforter as well as being the convictor of our sin. He guides us in our walk, if only we would listen.

It's not necessarily what people say about their visions or dreams, it's how they come across.

Sciptually, I hold Jackie, sue and butero in high esteem and all of them have a good handle on the Lord and His word, even though I'm a post tribber, so I would like everyone to take a coffee break and agree to disagree amicably.

have a nice day in Jesus.

eric

Well, it's way past my bedtime, and I spent much more time on here today than I normally do, so I'll call it a night. Thanks, Eric. I hope you have a nice day in Jesus when you wake up, too!! God bless!!

:blink: