IGNORED

Accuracy of Biblical prophecies vs. science.

Joshua-777

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

lol Hey Thanks for your posts, lol haha I just wrote a topic answering this in your last post, lol hahaha but anyways. so now do you feel this makes a valid prophecy?

I'm sorry about that...you were right I was too quick to disregard what you wrote. :)

It may make it more valid. I don't know; I don't want to study it. I don't believe the Bible, so even if it makes it more clear, it won't change my whole view of the Bible. The prophecies I did already take the time to fact-check and plow through were so disappointing in most cases. So... :th_praying: possibly I have nothing worthwhile to add and should not have involved myself in this thread to begin with.

P.S. I read your profile. Very inspiring!

:) Hey thanks, and I understand, I am glad that you did join it, and if I ever do change your view even a little, may it be for the better. I understand your view of the bible, and I respect that that is your view if you don't want to change it ya don't have to, I am hoping in this thread that I make more evidence concerning prophecy, and if your willing to read the thread, awesome if not, awesome, by the way, your kid is adorable in your profile pic. :rolleyes::thumbsup:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  179
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/08/1971

your kid is adorable in your profile pic.

Thanks! :noidea:

oh ya, and that prophecy in isaiah, "The prophecy about the destruction of Tyre" the king of tire actualy signifies satan, and the whole prophecy is directed to satan, it also has a parallel passage in ezekiel, I believe chap 15, if I remember correctly, alot of those prophecies are interlinking, and parallel, so to under stand one ya have to go to the other, I've noticed quite a few prophecies that cannot be understood without another prophecy. IT all connects.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

The prophecy in Isaiah chapter 7 was fulfilled in Isaiah chapter 8.

The verse thought to be a prophecy appears at Isaiah 7:14 - "Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, a young woman shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Imman'u-el." (RSV the most accurate translation of the Bible).

The Hebrew word is ALMAH (al-mah) and it is used 7 times in the Bible. Strictly speaking, it means young woman but depending on the Bible that you are using, it is translated as virgin, maiden and damsel, as well. There is another Hebrew word which is specifically translated as virgin. It is BETHULAH (be-too-lah) and it appears in the Bible 50 times. 38 times it is translated as virgin while the other 12 are spread out over the words maid and maiden. As you can see, there is some question if this word is properly translated. Jewish websites confirm that

Hmm that was very interesting Hypathia, I'm impressed, though it makes me wonder why in matt. it refers to that prophecy with Jesus being fulfilled.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest thebluetriangle

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I hope you don't mind me jumping into the discussion, but it looks interesting.

On Daniel 8, it seems to me that this was a prophecy of 9/11. The ram with two long horns is the twin towers/New York. The goat flying over the earth, then shattering the two horns, was a perfect description, in a preindustrial age, of the 9/11 attacks.

Any comments?

TBT

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

<stuff about Daniel>

There are a few things wrong with the Daniel book, the two I remember are that it wasn't written when it claims to be written but a lot later (~170 BC instead of ~600 BC I think, but don't quote me on that) and has inaccuracies, e.g. Belshazzar has never been king. If it turns out that I can't gather everything I need I will retract this statement. If it it turns out that I'm not allowed to link to the sources I will withdraw from the discussion. Allow me about three days to gather everything and study the whole thing, then I will either present my evidence or take back what I just said.

Edited by Questioner

Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I hope you don't mind me jumping into the discussion, but it looks interesting.

On Daniel 8, it seems to me that this was a prophecy of 9/11. The ram with two long horns is the twin towers/New York. The goat flying over the earth, then shattering the two horns, was a perfect description, in a preindustrial age, of the 9/11 attacks.

Any comments?

TBT

I see how that would fit, but it gives a full discription, of what that chapter means, with med-persia, and Greece in danial 8:19-22, it makes it more specific about what the vision was refering to.

<stuff about Daniel>

There are a few things wrong with the Daniel book, the two I remember are that it wasn't written when it claims to be written but a lot later (~170 BC instead of ~600 BC I think, but don't quote me on that) and has inaccuracies, e.g. Belshazzar has never been king. If it turns out that I can't gather everything I need I will retract this statement. If it it turns out that I'm not allowed to link to the sources I will withdraw from the discussion. Allow me about three days to gather everything and study the whole thing, then I will either present my evidence or take back what I just said.

I heard that before, but it was debunked with being written in 170 BC, if you could find some more info on this I would be glad to read it. Heres somthing interesting I found concering Belshazzar.

http://www.harvardhouse.com/Daniel_date-written.htm heres a good link that supports this.

Belshazzar's name is found in history, and he just happens to be the son of King Nabonidus, making him a crown prince in the kingdom of Babylon. Although some translations of the bible state that Nebuchadnezzar was his father, the Hebrew word for father can also be interpreted into English as meaning grandfather or ancestor. And in fact, Belshazzar was a blood line descendent of Nebuchadnezzar.

The same goes for the fact that the Bible calls Belshazzar a king. Even though historical records do not mention he was a king, the Hebrew word for king can also be interpreted as governor or royal prince. And history records that he was both.

http://www.biblehistory.net/volume2/Belshazzar.htm

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  207
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

One of the strongest objective evidences of biblical inspiration is the phenomenon of fulfilled prophecy. The Bible is essentially unique among the religious books of mankind in this respect. Some of them contain a few vague forecasts but nothing comparable to the vast number of specific prophecies found in the Bible. The same is true of modern "prophets," so-called. Such seers as Nostradamus, Jean Dixon, and others have made many predictions, but often they are nebulous and capable of various meanings. A few of their prophecies seem to have been fulfilled in a general way, but most of them have completely failed (ref.1, p.181).

Prophets, to be legitimate, must stand the test of time. If the prophet is not completely correct 100 percent of the time, he is a false prophet. Prophecy, to be valid, must predate the event, must be precise enough so as not to be vague, must have enough events described to be beyond human ability to calculate or manipulate; in other words, it must not be something man could do without God's guidance.

Did you read your own criteria for what makes a legitimate prophecy? Like this part:

must be precise enough so as not to be vague,

And this is where you want to start?

1.In the third year of the reign of King Belshazzar a vision appeared to me