• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Eat slowly. Before you eat, set the table and pour yourself your favourite non-soda drink. Take the time to savour every mouthful. Describe the tastes you are experiencing to yourself. Does it taste fresh, with a nice little punch of pepper? Is it spicy, but not TOO spicy? Can you taste that little squeeze of lemon you added? Really think about what you're eating. If you're finding that too boring, find someone to eat with who likes to carry on conversation over the dinner table, and remember to be an active listener.

Eating should take at least twenty minutes, if you ask me...that'll give your body time to let you know when it's full, so that you don't overeat. If your portions are too large, gradually reduce the size of them. Soda, by the way, should be one of the first things you eliminate (along with potato chips). I promise you, you won't even miss it after a while. If you must have that soda refreshing sparkliness, try chilled carbonated water with just some lemon or lime juice (freshly squeezed is best) to taste. It's divine.

Don't just go cold turkey on those things I mentioned, though...that'll just frustrate you and make you go back to eating as badly as you were before (maybe even worse!)

If you drink four cans of soda a day, cut it back to three. Set a goal for yourself then to have it down to two in a week or two, none in two months, or whatever you can handle. This is why most of those fad diets make people do the yo-yo thing...they require you to go cold turkey on most of the things you like to munch on. If you change it gradually, you will feel as though you are denying yourself less. Just make sure to set yourself firm goals (you should even put them on the calendar). Have someone keep you accountable, too. Get a friend or your parents to say "hey, it's Feb. 1st today, have you gone off one more can of soda like you said you would?"

Take a walk: Incresing your exercise doesn't have to mean spending $60 for a gym membership. Start walking to work, if it's not too far away, or, if you already walk find a route that is a little bit longer and more enjoyable (try walking through a park or along a river, if it's possible).

If you don't live in an area where it's safe to walk, or if your work is farther away, then make sure you always take the stairs, never the elevator (unless you're going to the 12th floor or something...then take the elevator to the 9th floor and walk up). Walk a lap through the halls during your lunch hour. Slowly increase the amount of physical activity you do, and ENJOY IT. Smell the flowers, contemplate life, take up photography and use it as an excuse to walk out and find some great shots. Whatever it takes.

One more thing:

Don't forget to reward yourself. When you accomplish a goal, treat yourself to a movie, or a new book, or a new watch, or that great jacket you've been eyeing...you need some motivation to keep you going, especially on those days when it's cold and you just feel like staying in in front of the TV and munching on chips (yup, I've been there).

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can somebody help me loosing weight?

(link edited)

Please gimme some advise!

Thx

Eat only when hungry and eat for quality of food not quantity.Hope that helps :74_74:

Or you could just eat in the nude and scare yourself to death, hence the small bite sizes! :13:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  10/01/1991

I went on a diet when I was 13. It was medically supervised up until a point and basically there were three rules.

1. Eat less than your body needs to maintain weight

2. Exercize to burn additional calories

3. Plan your meals so your nutritional needs are met

Usually they say to lose weight at a healthy weight, take in 500 calories less than you need to maintain. That can be hard though especially if you haven't dieted before. The best thing is to cut 250 cals-300 cals from your usual diet (have 1,700 instead of 2,000 for example) and then to burn the rest through moderate exercize like walking or swimming. You don't have to starve yourself and if you do it backfires and can cause big problems. You don't have to go crazy and exercize all day either. Walking 1 mile burns about 100 calories and takes less than 20 minutes. Lifting small handweights can build muscles in your arms and burn up calories too. Or go swim laps for free or very cheaply at your community pool or YWCA. It's really easy.

Some diets will tell you not to eat carbs, not to eat fat, etc. Forget it. There are also no good or bad foods, just keep everything in moderation. Once you've figured out how many calories you're going to eat, keep track during the day and make sure you're getting 20-30% from fat, 20% or so from protein and the rest from carbohydrates. It's ok to have a cookie or some ice cream as long as you don't go overboard. Balance it out with some healthy fruits, whole grain bread or something else good for you. If you do eat more than you wanted, make up for it by going for a 30 min walk or doing some situps or eat a bit less the next day. Also, taking a multivitamin and a calcium tablet, plus any other vitamins your doctor tells you to, will keep you in good health and stop you from having cravings. Drink lots of water, that helps to. That's all there is to it. :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  95
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Or you could just eat in the nude and scare yourself to death, hence the small bite sizes! :24:

:24:

i dont see how it would cause u to eat smaller sizes...it would cause me to not eat at all!

i am gonna try the running thing. i just hate the gym so much though. i actually just hate exercising. it is such a chore! a really boring, tiring chore!

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

That's all good advice but the only thing that works for me is Adkins diet.

It's low carb.

Average weight loss is about 6 pounds a week for me.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  281
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

IF your serious about see your doctor and ask for referal to a nutristionist. Diets don't work most of the time rather get a food plan.

Also try going to an "OA" meeting Over-eaters Anonymous ITs free and cost nothing and a lot of good advice. There are different types of OA meeting so try a couple different ones. Locate a meeting near you by going to an OA website.

Also another free program is setting the captives free website. They have devotionals and testimonies of people dealing with food and weight issues. This web site also deal with other issues as well. They will ask to take a 60 day course or less days dpending on the program you choose once you get there. They will hook you up with a accountability person who will review your lesson with you. each lesson is done on line and will take approximatly 30 minutes. I recomend going at your pace not theres because it is free you get slow responses so go at your pace.

There are things you can do but I think everyone else has said those.

Its 80% behavior and 20% knowledge meaning you probably already have the head knowledge and know all the right things to say that you should be doing. Its taking the knowledge and making those behavioral changes. Its not always easy so talk to God a lot and make journal

God Bless

and good luck

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

Im telling you guys, by far, running is the best way to lose weight. Nothing burns calories quicker.

Im telling you guys, by far, running is the best way to lose weight. Nothing burns calories quicker.

i dont like doing it though

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

i dont like doing it though

I don't either, unless I'm competing (and then, only because I'm competitive)...I far prefer biking or swimming...even just walking. You have to walk longer for it to be as beneficial, but I just figure it's a good time to pray and sort through the day's events and emotions.

another problem i have with this running/jogging thing is that my stomach gets cramps (usually lower right side) if i consume ANY liquid before i run. when i used to jog in the morning, i wouldnt drink anything from the time i woke up but i would still get them.

its hard sometimes to finish an entire work out without drinking anything cos i get terribly thirsty but if drink anything then i will have to stop not long after cos the spasms hurt!