• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

Should Followers of Jesus send their children to mainstream public schools?

I've enjoyed that my kids are in private school, but my only issue is that my son has learning differences (in 8th grade-just now will soon be verified) and he has only received minor help for the first time THIS year. So if their learning challenged, I guess there are "special school", but I know I could expect to pay double or more for what I already pay now. We have to make a choice, for next year, if we will send him to public, so that he can get the help he needs, but this is not going to be an easy choice, If we do, we will have more $$ to put toward remedial help he will need to help with his learning issues.

My daughter does will in private.

Boy we have hard decisions this year.

Candi

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Anything in quote boxes in this color is from me.

Basically my point is that to send our children to public school on the basis of wanting them to evangelize is putting sacrifice before obedience. It is not a good reason to send children to public school. If you truly feel led by the Lord to put your children in public school, that is a different story, I believe God always blesses our desires to do what he wants us to do.

We are commanded to train our children up in the way they should go. I obey this first and make sure I am not sacrificing this. As I read my bible, I see gazillions of scriptire supporting that the duty of child rearing is entrusted to the parents, not public schools.

Lets see these scriptures that tell us not to send children to public schools. For every scripture you can twist to say that, I can quote several that would seem to imply the opposite.

http://www.worthyboards.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=53515&view=findpost&p=747702 I'd love to see scripture supporting public school

35 hours a week in public school is just too much time away from the family in my humble opinion.

Why? When they grow up they are going to be living and working among the very same people you think you are protecting them from, and they are going to be away from christians most of the time. You aren't protecting your child from anything. You are raising them in a idealized fantasy world you have carefully constructed around them according to your mostly-unbiblical religious beliefs.

EXACTLY! When they grow up. Neither of our children are grown up yet. They are still very impressionable, therefore the safest plave for them in their formative years is with the family as God intended.

When they go to college, unless they commute, they are going to be away from home a lot more than 30-something hours a week too.

Yup, by then they will be grown up, not children.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me see. No offense, home schoolers, but lets see if you are even qualified to teach Jr. high and high school math to your children shall we?

Algebra:

What is the formula for finding the roots of a quadratic polynomial equation?

What are the root(s) of the equation "y = x^2 + 1" ??

Geometry:

What is Pythagorean Theorem? Give an example of a real life application of it.

What is the Law of Sines?

Calculus/Precalculus:

What is the derivative of the following polynomial with respect to X?

f(x) = 3x^2 - 7x + 5

Physics.

A wooden block with mass 3Kg is at rest. A force of 12 Newtons is then applied to the block continually for 5 seconds from the side. Neglecting friction and air resistance, how fast is the block moving after 5 seconds? How far has it travelled?

Why do most metals feel "cold" at room temperature?

Dude, my son is 9 yrs old and in grade 4. Also we use a pre packaged curriculum, we do not invent our own because we are not qualified to do so. A pre packaged curriculum tells us exactly what to teach and teaches us so we can teach our son. :noidea: Ask me these questions again when our son is in Jr. high and high school :noidea: Did you know that there are actual proven statistics that prove a parent's education level has absolutely no impact on how well their homeschooled children do academically? And yet, homeschooled children continually and consistently score higher than public schooled children? Also have you ever heard of home school coop? It is where home school parents get together and help teach certain subjects such as karate, sign language etc. For example, I am partially deaf and very fluent in ASL. (American Sign language) So last year I taught a class on ASL. My son desires to learn karate. Me and my husband feel this is best taught by someone who is more familiar with the moves. We also enrolled him in swimming and art class just to give him a little more oppurtunity to be around other kids, something we feel is a good thing done in moderation. In fact that is where my husband and oldest son are at right now. Tyler has swimming from 9:30-10:20am, karate from 10:30-11:30am, lunch from 11:30-12, and then art from 12-1. Gives me a break on Fridays which is nice to have once in a while. :noidea: (I am not teaching any of the homeschool coop classes this term)

Should Followers of Jesus send their children to mainstream public schools?

I've enjoyed that my kids are in private school, but my only issue is that my son has learning differences (in 8th grade-just now will soon be verified) and he has only received minor help for the first time THIS year. So if their learning challenged, I guess there are "special school", but I know I could expect to pay double or more for what I already pay now. We have to make a choice, for next year, if we will send him to public, so that he can get the help he needs, but this is not going to be an easy choice, If we do, we will have more $$ to put toward remedial help he will need to help with his learning issues.

My daughter does will in private.

Boy we have hard decisions this year.

Candi

Yes, that does sound like a very hard decision. I know God will show you the answer. He is faithful! :noidea:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Home schooling has been very successful academically for many kids so I would not have a worry about that.

Certainly for AP classes when kids get to middle and high school you would probably want some help, I know I would I think most homeschoolers do that.

The reason we won't do it is the isolation factor. Our kids love school and love going to where the other kids are, where their friends are, besides me or my wife sitting with two kids two years apart and teaching them, well lets face it how boring would that be?

I think each Christian parent certainly has to just look around and make the best choice you can for your kids depending on the options available. Many public schools are just fine, but the fact of the matter is many many people simply have no choice anyway.

The job of parents though IS to shelter our children from the savagery of the world until they are ready. Five, six seven and eight year olds don't need to be exposed to so much of the rottenness that is out there. In fact kids who have a grounding of security from being sheltered and protected when they are young, are MORE confident than kids who have not been protected.

But after saying all of that we go to a public school and I have no problem doing so it is fine, but as parents you just have to be more vigilent and invovled in what is going on.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Public school offers a wonderful opportunity for evangelism.

A "Christian" school might not.

Steve

:thumbsup::thumbsup: How can we spread the word, that well, if we are isolating our children when they can reach others kids for the LORD?

This doesn't make a bit of sense. Children are not evangelists. They are very impressionable. I still believe that home schooling is the best way to go, and a private Christian school would be next. I wouldn't think of taking children the Lord place in my care and throwing them into the lions den known as the public school system and simply saying the Lord will protect them. Today, we have options, and I believe the the Lord gives us common sense to use them. That is how he will protect them.

I don't think what you say makes alot of sense to me. I understand why you feel this way, but where is the faith in that? Why can't the Lord protect children in public schools when their parents have sent them there in faith? and I beg to disagree that children are not evangelists..............have you ever listened to them? They make some of the greatest evangelists because of their faith. I am not an advocate of any single form of educating (like I won't say public schools are the best or home schooling is the best or private schooling is best) I think it is up to the Lord to decide that and it is our job to trust Him in wherever He leads.

This would be putting sacrifice before obedience.

Proverbs 21:3 To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.

Also,

Deuteronomy 6:16 Do not test the Lord your God...

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying here? Are you saying that you think I'm putting sacrifice before obedience or are you echoing what I actually mean in that obedience to where the Lord leads you to educate your children is the most important?? The way this is worded makes it difficult to catch what you're saying (or I'm just not catching it...)

Basically my point is that to send our children to public school on the basis of wanting them to evangelize is putting sacrifice before obedience. It is not a good reason to send children to public school. If you truly feel led by the Lord to put your children in public school, that is a different story, I believe God always blesses our desires to do what he wants us to do. We are commanded to train our children up in the way they should go. I obey this first and make sure I am not sacrificing this. As I read my bible, I see gazillions of scriptire supporting that the duty of child rearing is entrusted to the parents, not public schools. 35 hours a week in public school is just too much time away from the family in my humble opinion.

My parents found that they weren't sacrificing the ability to "train [their children] up in the way that they should go" by sending them to public school. I think that parents lose that when they start expecting the public school to basically raise their kids, when they don't keep up with their spiritual education at home. It IS possible to keep up with the spiritual education in the home when they're at public school...my brother and I, as well as most of my College friends, are a testament to that fact.

I also don't think anyone sends their kids to public school in order to make them mini-missionaries. That being said, the fact that children CAN evangelize in their public schools shows me that Public Schools in and of themselves are NOT detrimental to their spirital health.

As far as kids being "in the company of fools" there, that's simply not so. I can guarantee that there are A LOT of Christian kids in public schools for kids to fellowship with, some wise beyond their years (as I found)

I can understand the concerns of some, that their local public schools got the short end of the stick academically...that's something everyone has to consider when looking at their options. If you find it's below the standard you think they should have, then absolutely, keep your kids out of there. HOWEVER: NOT every Public School is like that! Our high school was better academically than the local private school!

I don't know, maybe a lot more American public schools get the short end of the academic stick than Canadian public schools, so maybe that's why it's such a huge concern for you...I honestly haven't got a clue what the academic statistics are for American schools. What I DO know is that where I'm from, there's a lot of competition between public schools to keep their averages high, so they don't slack off. 8shrug* But as I said, that's something every parent needs to consider when finding educational placement for their child.

I'm not saying Public school is right for everyone. What I'm saying is that it can be right for some, just as Private School can be right for others, and still others, Homeschool. What I get tired of is Christian parents trying to tell me Homeschooling (or Private school or Public school...though I certainly hear that less often) is THE ONLY WAY and that Christian parents who put their kids in public schools are FAILING in their duties. That's just unrealistic, if you ask me, not to mention insulting.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I am going to try my hardest to send my son to the Christian private school we have here in town. There is no way I want him going to public schoo. At the kindergarten school we have here a 5 year old boy brought a gun to school. KINDERGARTEN!!!!!!!

The job of parents though IS to shelter our children from the savagery of the world until they are ready. Five, six seven and eight year olds don't need to be exposed to so much of the rottenness that is out there. In fact kids who have a grounding of security from being sheltered and protected when they are young, are MORE confident than kids who have not been protected.

Amen to that!!!! :whistling: (well written post overall, but this was my favorite part! :wub: )

Public school offers a wonderful opportunity for evangelism.

A "Christian" school might not.

Steve

:whistling::wub: How can we spread the word, that well, if we are isolating our children when they can reach others kids for the LORD?

This doesn't make a bit of sense. Children are not evangelists. They are very impressionable. I still believe that home schooling is the best way to go, and a private Christian school would be next. I wouldn't think of taking children the Lord place in my care and throwing them into the lions den known as the public school system and simply saying the Lord will protect them. Today, we have options, and I believe the the Lord gives us common sense to use them. That is how he will protect them.

I don't think what you say makes alot of sense to me. I understand why you feel this way, but where is the faith in that? Why can't the Lord protect children in public schools when their parents have sent them there in faith? and I beg to disagree that children are not evangelists..............have you ever listened to them? They make some of the greatest evangelists because of their faith. I am not an advocate of any single form of educating (like I won't say public schools are the best or home schooling is the best or private schooling is best) I think it is up to the Lord to decide that and it is our job to trust Him in wherever He leads.

This would be putting sacrifice before obedience.

Proverbs 21:3 To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.

Also,

Deuteronomy 6:16 Do not test the Lord your God...

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying here? Are you saying that you think I'm putting sacrifice before obedience or are you echoing what I actually mean in that obedience to where the Lord leads you to educate your children is the most important?? The way this is worded makes it difficult to catch what you're saying (or I'm just not catching it...)

Basically my point is that to send our children to public school on the basis of wanting them to evangelize is putting sacrifice before obedience. It is not a good reason to send children to public school. If you truly feel led by the Lord to put your children in public school, that is a different story, I believe God always blesses our desires to do what he wants us to do. We are commanded to train our children up in the way they should go. I obey this first and make sure I am not sacrificing this. As I read my bible, I see gazillions of scriptire supporting that the duty of child rearing is entrusted to the parents, not public schools. 35 hours a week in public school is just too much time away from the family in my humble opinion.

My parents found that they weren't sacrificing the ability to "train [their children] up in the way that they should go" by sending them to public school. I think that parents lose that when they start expecting the public school to basically raise their kids, when they don't keep up with their spiritual education at home. It IS possible to keep up with the spiritual education in the home when they're at public school...my brother and I, as well as most of my College friends, are a testament to that fact. And everything should be done to keep up that spiritual education at home no matter what kind of school they go to! The sacrifice I was refering to is the 35 hours a week we lose in training them up in the way they should go. Sometimes kids can get by with just a few hours in the evening with their parents and weekends. In fact, some kids get NO spiritual training at all as they are growing up and still turn out fine, however, personally, we prefer not to take the chance.

I also don't think anyone sends their kids to public school in order to make them mini-missionaries. That being said, the fact that children CAN evangelize in their public schools shows me that Public Schools in and of themselves are NOT detrimental to their spirital health.I also believe children can evangelize, however, the risk of exposing our children to so much negative socialization is not a risk me and my husband are willing to take with our children.

As far as kids being "in the company of fools" there, that's simply not so. I can guarantee that there are A LOT of Christian kids in public schools for kids to fellowship with, some wise beyond their years (as I found)Sorry, I truly cannot agree with you that the majority of kids in public school have good Godly values instilled in them. I went to public school in Canada for 7 years so Canada is no exception either. In every class I was in, there was always ONE child who really stood out as extra confident, smart and not concerned with what others thought of her, and was nice to everyone. But this was ONE child out of your average clas size of 30 kids. Most children simply do not possess the social skills I want passed onto my children, know why? They are CHILDREN! They are like cookies baking in the oven that are only half way done. Truly, it is ADULTS that have (ideally the parents) the best social skills to pass on. This is why in our home, we place such a high emphasis on family time and keep socialization outside the home with other children in moderation. To us 35 hours a week is not in moderation. Public schools fail miserably in the area of socialization compared to what parents can offer them in their own home. In fact may I even be so bold as to say public schools have become DANGEROUS places to be! Premarital sex and drugs are VERY commonplace in both american and Canadian public schools. The first year I moved to Michigan, a little girl in Kindergarten was shot in the face by a class mate and killed. Read Lorraine's post, at her local school, a kindergartener brought a gun to school! Public schools are getting worse and worse and worse. :wub: It was bad enough when I was in public school 15 or so yrs ago, never mind how it is today in public schools!

Like it or not, a good deal of child rearing goes on in public school, unavoidable by the fact that children spend so many of their waking hours there. Public schools try so hard to be neutral when it comes to religion, the fact is, no matter how hard they try, it is an impossible feat to accomplish. Public schools can never ever be neutral.

I can understand the concerns of some, that their local public schools got the short end of the stick academically...that's something everyone has to consider when looking at their options. If you find it's below the standard you think they should have, then absolutely, keep your kids out of there. HOWEVER: NOT every Public School is like that! Our high school was better academically than the local private school!

I don't know, maybe a lot more American public schools get the short end of the academic stick than Canadian public schools, so maybe that's why it's such a huge concern for you...I honestly haven't got a clue what the academic statistics are for American schools. What I DO know is that where I'm from, there's a lot of competition between public schools to keep their averages high, so they don't slack off. 8shrug* But as I said, that's something every parent needs to consider when finding educational placement for their child.

I'm not saying Public school is right for everyone. What I'm saying is that it can be right for some, just as Private School can be right for others, and still others, Homeschool. What I get tired of is Christian parents trying to tell me Homeschooling (or Private school or Public school...though I certainly hear that less often) is THE ONLY WAY and that Christian parents who put their kids in public schools are FAILING in their duties. That's just unrealistic, if you ask me, not to mention insulting.Sorry, it is difficult to defend homeschooling without attacking public schooling. It is more my intention here to defend homeschooling and educate on the benefits of homeschooling than it is to step on people's toes. You have to understand when homeschoolers are criticized, we are almost always being compared to public schools.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Sorry, it is difficult to defend homeschooling without attacking public schooling. It is more my intention here to defend homeschooling and educate on the benefits of homeschooling than it is to step on people's toes. You have to understand when homeschoolers are criticized, we are almost always being compared to public schools.

And yet even your most recent post was attacking public schools...with phrases like "Public schools fail miserably in the area of socialization..." Really, was that necessary? I feel I got excellent socialization in the various public schools (I attended six over the course of my schooling), and I ALSO managed to receive socialization from my parents and large extended family. That doesn't seem like a failure to me.

Simply avoiding public school is not a good enough reason to say homeschooling is the way to go, in my books. Just like avoiding homeschooling or private schooling isn't a good enough reason to do public school, nor is avoiding homeschooling or public school a good enough reason to private school. Those things come from knee-jerk reactions, not from consideration of the individual child's needs.

I know you've probably considered your individual child's needs, and THAT'S the part that I want to hear about, NOT public school slamming.

Sorry, it is difficult to defend homeschooling without attacking public schooling. It is more my intention here to defend homeschooling and educate on the benefits of homeschooling than it is to step on people's toes. You have to understand when homeschoolers are criticized, we are almost always being compared to public schools.

And yet even your most recent post was attacking public schools...with phrases like "Public schools fail miserably in the area of socialization..." Really, was that necessary? I feel I got excellent socialization in the various public schools (I attended six over the course of my schooling), and I ALSO managed to receive socialization from my parents and large extended family. That doesn't seem like a failure to me.

Simply avoiding public school is not a good enough reason to say homeschooling is the way to go, in my books. Just like avoiding homeschooling or private schooling isn't a good enough reason to do public school, nor is avoiding homeschooling or public school a good enough reason to private school. Those things come from knee-jerk reactions, not from consideration of the individual child's needs.

I know you've probably considered your individual child's needs, and THAT'S the part that I want to hear about, NOT public school slamming.

And what you said below isn't slamming? It implies the majority of homeschool parents are over protective and their children rarely turn out well.

Quoting from you

Well...then he moved out of his parent's place, quit worship team (which it turns out he'd only been doing because his parents made him, and it was really the only way they would let him get out of the house long enough to make any friends), got a job at the sawmill, started smoking up with the buddies he made there, started drinking too hard with his loser roommate (who eventually "borrowed" $2000 from him and then skipped town...jerkface was too naiive to believe anyone would do such a thing), started gambling with anyone who would gamble with hiWell...then he moved out of his parent's place, quit worship team (which it turns out he'd only been doing because his parents made him, and it was really the only way they would let him get out of the house long enough to make any friends), got a job at the sawmill, started smoking up with the buddies he made there, started drinking too hard with his loser roommate (who eventually "borrowed" $2000 from him and then skipped town...m. And that's how that story goes...this was all spread out over about two years, of course, and there were a lot of things that happened in that time...but that's the gist of it.

And that was my closest, most intimate experience with someone who was over-sheltered, homeschooled, and over-controlled by his parents....I've had less intimate experiences with those types, too, and they have almost always turned out the same.