• Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  117
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Hello Cobalt1959,

Many thanks for your contribution!

THE APOSTLE PETER: THE BOOK OF ACTS

For those of you who have not spoken in tongues, consider the experience of the apostle Peter

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0

CHRIST

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

So I'm going to hell if I don't speak in tongues?

• Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  11/15/1968

Nope. In fact, there will be many in heaven who never spoke in tongues, but stood fast on the Word of God. :)

Nope. In fact, there will be many in heaven who never spoke in tongues, but stood fast on the Word of God. :)

That's what I thought, but it seems this guy is saying that unless we speak in tongues, we aren't saved.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  498
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  01/25/1949

Mark 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.

2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

3 And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?

4 And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great.

5 And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.

6 And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.

7 But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you.

8 And they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they any thing to any man; for they were afraid.

9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

10 And she went and told them that had been with him, as they mourned and wept.

11 And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not.

12 After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.

13 And they went and told it unto the residue: neither believed they them.

14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen. {at meat: or, together}

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.

20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

It seems to me that THE LORD stresses FAITH.....Faith to be saved,faith to speak new tongues..faith to pray for the sick and heal them...

Stuff that happens when we BELIEVE....

I f I pray and someone gets healed GOD receives GLORY.....

If I pray and set someone free from demons GOD receives GLORY

I I pray and I receive the gift of speaking in tongues GOD receives GLORY

nothing should make me feel " special" or "holier than thou" kind of think....

With GOD IS ALL A GIFT..GRACE ...

to HIM goes THE GLORY and PRAISE for HIS IMMENSE GRACE...

Shalom

• Group:  Junior Member

Hello jc49 and hmh,

Many thanks for your thoughts.

As jc49 stated... "Stuff that happens when we BELIEVE...."

This is central to what our Lord revealed to us!!

In other words, what's the point of deliberately not believing what Christ said we could believe to receive?

Hello apothanein kerdos:

With all due respect, nowhere did I explicitly state that the sign of tongues is necessary for salvation.

hmh is correct.

According to divine revelation, the sign of tongues is a blessing... not a requirement to stay out of hell.

My thought to you is this:

Why allow anyone to talk you out of "tongues"?

Christ said you could believe to receive this blessing. This is central to this thread.

Regardless... speaking in divinely inspired languages is always a free-will decision.

God bless.

revel

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

I've always believed that "speaking in tongues" meant speaking in other languages than your native, without having studied that language. I believe Paul elaborated on this gift politely because, even in his day, people were faking it...possibly to fit in with the other believers in their churches who actually did have the gift.

According to divine revelation, the sign of tongues is a blessing... not a requirement to stay out of hell.

My thought to you is this:

Why allow anyone to talk you out of "tongues"?

Because it's a lesser gift that I could care less about. It only blesses the person who speaks it. There are better gifts to have. There are better things to be concerned with.

There are a number of reasons.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Revel and many others who have more fully explained this subject, great job! I'm not very eloquent in this area and generally just avoid these kinds of discussions. Fortunately I received the baptism in the Holy Spirit when I was 12 and before I even knew that there were people who thought it was gift that had been rescinded. I would say that I don't have the "gift" of speaking in tongues because I don't have a prayer language that I can use at any time but I have had a number of re-fillings. One thing (among many!) that this has done for me...when I was an older teenager, at the age when kids start having doubts about their beliefs etc... I never had any serious doubts about God. Any time I heard someone express that doubt I would remember the miracle of my infilling with the Holy Spirit and just KNOW that whatever else I did not understand, this much I knew for sure----God is real.

Later in a Christian college I attended one of my instructors was a former missionary. She told of how she and her husband worked at a boys orphanage in India in the 1940's. They were in an area where the people spoke the dialect of Malialam. One evening during a prayer meeting the boys began to praise the Lord and she and her husband were amazed to hear them begin to praise the Lord in very good English. These were boys who did not know English at all. I remember her saying that she hoped some day to hear someone (who did not know the language) to be praising the Lord in Malialam. I hope that happened for her!