IGNORED

Why is the 'Church of Christ' sometimes called a cult?

graymousey

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I wouldn't argue with you on that Ovedya, all though I never heard it or had it said to me by anybody who actually knew what they were talking about in the CoC, of course that may be cause I didn't give them the chance. My family on the other hand has done everything but had and exorcism (good thing CoC don't believe in those) for me. I am the black sheep of the family now :) and until I find a church where I actually feel Christ alive and working, ya'll are stuck with me! :P

I guess what got my back up is..........well let me put it this way, if the name of this thread was Is the (insert your group here) a cult, every one of you would have felt the same way I did. I also don't think I deserved one of the insulting remarks made to me in this thread, but fruit of the Spirit right.

Shalom SP,

I hear ya! And I agree with you. :o

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the OP was not calling CoC a cult, but asking why she had heard others refer to them as such.

If fact, she says that she has not found any validity to that title:

I have often heard other Christian groups refer to the 'Church of Christ' as a cult. I am wondering why, for I haven't found any valid reason so far. (I am not talking about the 'United Church of Christ' which is a completely different denomination).

Oh I know, but one sure made up for what ever the title was lacking in.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/17/1961

I wouldn't argue with you on that Ovedya, all though I never heard it or had it said to me by anybody who actually knew what they were talking about in the CoC, of course that may be cause I didn't give them the chance. My family on the other hand has done everything but had and exorcism (good thing CoC don't believe in those) for me. I am the black sheep of the family now :) and until I find a church where I actually feel Christ alive and working, ya'll are stuck with me! :P

I guess what got my back up is..........well let me put it this way, if the name of this thread was Is the (insert your group here) a cult, every one of you would have felt the same way I did. I also don't think I deserved one of the insulting remarks made to me in this thread, but fruit of the Spirit right.

Shalom SP,

I hear ya! And I agree with you. :o

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the OP was not calling CoC a cult, but asking why she had heard others refer to them as such.

If fact, she says that she has not found any validity to that title:

I have often heard other Christian groups refer to the 'Church of Christ' as a cult. I am wondering why, for I haven't found any valid reason so far. (I am not talking about the 'United Church of Christ' which is a completely different denomination).

They are considered a cult because they maintain that baptism is a necessary requirement for salvation and that proper baptism must be by immersion in the Church of Christ. Such a teaching is false and dangerous because it effectively retains the keys to salvation and can use them to control and manipulate their church members. Nevertheless, they quote verses such as John 3:5 (see related paper) and Acts 2:38 (see related paper) as proof of their position. In so doing, they ignore the numerous Scriptures to teach us that salvation is by grace through faith (John 5:24; Acts 13:38-39; Gal. 2:16; 3:26; Rom. 3:24; 4:5; 5:1; 5:9;9:30; 10:10; Eph. 2:8; Phil. 3:9; etc.)

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Thanks again for every input.

I wasn't clear in my original post. I am not interested in knowing about the International Church of Christ, only about the original, independent Churches of Christ. So, if you guys know anything more about that, it would be appreciated.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I'm a little confused by the "independent" part of the description. That's a totally foreign concept to a Catholic. :)

If each CoC is independent, how can you label them all as a "cult"? :24:

Does it mean that each Pastor & congregation develop their own doctrine; or is there an accepted set of beliefs that each independent church adopts?

Anyone know how that works? :)

Also, personally speaking, until you actually go and worship with a group, no matter what denomination they are, you really can't pontificate about whether or not they are true believers-----most especially if they are independent.

Peace,

Fiosh

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

No they all believe the same but each church is independant in that the Elders, are over the church and make the decision, for their own church. I don't remember exactly what its called but something like the Southern Baptist Conference or what ever where all the Leaders from the different Southern Baptist come together and vote and make decision that effect all the members. CoC don't have anything like that.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

I'm a little confused by the "independent" part of the description. That's a totally foreign concept to a Catholic. :)

Does it mean that each Pastor & congregation develop their own doctrine; or is there an accepted set of beliefs that each independent church adopts?

Also, personally speaking, until you actually go and worship with a group, no matter what denomination they are, you really can't pontificate about whether or not they are true believers-----most especially if they are independent.

Peace,

Fiosh

Shalom Fiosh,

On your last statement, in most cases, a Christian can tell by a group's Statement of Faith or posted, published doctrinal beliefs whether a group is a cult or not. One does not need to go and worship with them to know if they are preaching false doctrine or if they are a cult. If their beliefs do not line up with the Bible - pure and simple - and if they preach another salvation, they are a cult.

Now, some are not so easily defined and many good Christians have been taken in and only found out later that their group was a cult.

But, I digress. Anyway, again, one does not need to physically go and worship with a group to know if they are a cult or not.

For example, by the published doctrines of the LDS (Mormons), I know they are a cult. I don't need to be with them to know that.

Peace,

Fiosh

Shalom Fiosh,

On your last statement, in most cases, a Christian can tell by a group's Statement of Faith or posted, published doctrinal beliefs whether a group is a cult or not. One does not need to go and worship with them to know if they are preaching false doctrine or if they are a cult. If their beliefs do not line up with the Bible - pure and simple - and if they preach another salvation, they are a cult.

Now, some are not so easily defined and many good Christians have been taken in and only found out later that their group was a cult.

But, I digress. Anyway, again, one does not need to physically go and worship with a group to know if they are a cult or not.

For example, by the published doctrines of the LDS (Mormons), I know they are a cult. I don't need to be with them to know that.

Yes, I would have to agree that there are those denoms that are blatantly not Christian---those who deny the Deity of Christ being the prime example.

But I was speaking more specifically about Christian congregations, as in the CoC. I really can't be certain if a particular Pastor and his "flock" are true followers of Christ unless I go listen to what is being taught, and participate---or at least observe---their worship.

Being a Catholic, I take alot of heat on these boards. But if you would come with me to my Church, and see how God is worshiped and adored thru Jesus in the power of the Holy Spirit---you may come away with a more indepth understanding of who we are. Say what you will about Catholics, but we could teach some of you a thing or two about reverence and awe. ;)

Peace,

Fiosh

:)

No they all believe the same but each church is independant in that the Elders, are over the church and make the decision, for their own church. I don't remember exactly what its called but something like the Southern Baptist Conference or what ever where all the Leaders from the different Southern Baptist come together and vote and make decision that effect all the members. CoC don't have anything like that.

Is there a website where I could go to view the doctrines held in common by the CoC's? the equivalent of the "Catechism of the Catholic Church" or a Protestant "We Believe" statement.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  29
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/08/1980

I have been attending a church of christ church. I visit all the deniminations to see what I can learn from them. What I learnt from the CoC so far is that they believe they are the only true church desended from the book of acts. That the Holy Spirit no longer works through people. Spiritual gifts were only for the first church. They don;t believe in a rapture a seven year tribulation armageddon and such. They don't believe you are a true christian unless you belong to their church and baptised by them. They told me if I wanted to be a member I would have to be baptized again by them. They don't believe in any instumental music inside the church. Only a man is allowed to speack whenever they want in church such as singing and prayer and preaching, unless a man let's the women join in. Even in the bible study a woman cannot speak unless a man tells her she is allowed. The women ae not allowed to make any decisions concerning the running of the church, like decorating the church and making decisions on how the money is to be spent. They don't believe in giving donations to charity organizations unless it is ran by them, they say God should get the glory in what the organization does and if the Coc doesn't run it it is a sin to contribute. They say that it is a sin to allow your child to go to prom because dancing is a sin. They say that the old testament does not mean anything to them they only go by the new testament. they believe that Jerusalem is not special in any way and that the Coc has taken the place of the jews in God's favor and blessings. They believe they are not a denomination and all churche's who don't belive as they do are denominations and are in error leading people astray.They also believe they are saved by works as part of their salvation plan beliefs.

This is what the Church of Christ church I attended believes. I worshipped with them and attended bible study with them. I know there beliefs firsthand. I don't know if this is how all the CoC churches function I only know about this one.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

No, the elders are not over our church and do not make our decisions. All of the congregation makes the decisions as a whole.

The Churches of Christ are independent congregations because there is no set creed.

Members of Churches of Christ believe in the deity and Lordship of Jesus Christ, the inspiration of the Bible, and the autonomy of local congregations. We accept and teach believers' baptism (immersion) into Christ for the forgiveness of sins; we assemble for worship on the first day of the week, making the observance of the Lord's Supper a focal point in such worship. We seek the unity of all believers on the basis of faith in and obedience to Christ as the divine Son of God and the acceptance of the Bible particularly the New Testament as our all-sufficient rule of faith and practice.

Still no musical instruments?