Marnie

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Days Won:  0

Bono should stick to doing commercials or infomercials about this Africa thing and stop whining to the politicians. It's the major corporations that have the money to give to the corrupt politicians in africa.

As the Canadian Prime Minister demonstrated...no one is being forced to speak to Bono. President Bush has chosen to have Bono at the White House. The President also chose to have Ozzy Osborne there which still has me shaking my head.

My point is Bono is targeting the leaders of our respective countries to dole out taxpayers money to these corrupt African governments. How much of theat money do you think goes to one of those starving kids over there? Why not let some of these bleeding heart corporations (Walmart, Nike etc.) throw away their money instead. Their the ones who are buying all the goods that are produced from slave labour :wub:

Because the corporations aren't in charge of the world bank, canceling debt to Africa, or influencing politics. I suggest people read Walk On. It's a book that covers a lot of Bono's political action. He isn't just saying, "Hey, let's help Africa!" He's also saying, "Let's influence our governments to put pressure on corrupt African governments." Walmart and the like can't do that.

He pushes for private citizens, businesses, and things of that nature to put money into Africa to help it. He pushes for governments to pass free-trade laws, put pressure on African governments, and cancel out African debt (that they'll never pay anyway)...that doesn't really affect our tax dollars.

In the end, I honestly am surprised at the animosity toward Bono. Here we have celebrities making fools of themselves by getting DUI's and skipping out on jail, getting drunk and blaming it on the Jews, running around with John Edwards AFTER supporting Hugo Chavez, or lending their voice to a documentary that blames the government for 9/11 (as a conspiracy theory)...but we're going to pick on the guy using his celebrity status to help kids in Africa? We're going to pick on the celebrity that is acting selfless by doing so? :thumbsup:

Even if you disagree with Bono (which, as a Christian, would make no sense), at least the guy isn't out there lauding his wealth and position over everyone.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering -

Has Bono ever done what Chrisitans have done for decades and actually gone to Africa and worked with the people, built an orphanage or hospital, dug wells, etc.?

Yes. Not only does he give money, but he helps build orphanages, hospitals, and has spent time there doing hands on work. He does most of this with Christian organizations because he is a Christian. There are pictures of him and his wife working at these places.

I mean...I guess I just don't understand why people are so anti-Bono. This is the same guy who wrote the song "A Man and Woman" because he was tired of prenuptial agreements being more vital than the vows...and how no one (especially in Hollywood) intends to keep their vows.

Even though I don't agree with everything Bono does, I have to say that he's one of the few celebrities that I can respect. He has done hands on work in Africa (which is why he began his whole crusade to help Africa) and he's trying to get others to help. What's so wrong with that?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Just wondering -

Has Bono ever done what Chrisitans have done for decades and actually gone to Africa and worked with the people, built an orphanage or hospital, dug wells, etc.?

Yes. Not only does he give money, but he helps build orphanages, hospitals, and has spent time there doing hands on work. He does most of this with Christian organizations because he is a Christian. There are pictures of him and his wife working at these places.

I mean...I guess I just don't understand why people are so anti-Bono. This is the same guy who wrote the song "A Man and Woman" because he was tired of prenuptial agreements being more vital than the vows...and how no one (especially in Hollywood) intends to keep their vows.

Even though I don't agree with everything Bono does, I have to say that he's one of the few celebrities that I can respect. He has done hands on work in Africa (which is why he began his whole crusade to help Africa) and he's trying to get others to help. What's so wrong with that?

He's also cozy with Bill Gates and the Family Planning bunch.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

Shalom K,

What I know about Bono is not the issue. I posted my opinion, as others do.

You obviously disagree with my opinion. Good for you. Mine is just as valid as yours. You are young yet, maybe one day you'll understand, when you are older. :24:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.37
  • Days Won:  28

Harper, a somewhat wooden figure regularly mocked for his lack of flair, told reporters on Thursday that meeting Bono was not a priority.

"I've got to say that meeting celebrities isn't kind of my shtick, that was the shtick of the previous guy," said Harper in a dig at his Liberal predecessor Paul Martin, who met Bono regularly.

"I hope we do it at some point but my principle focus in public policies is not kind of to meet celebrities," added the prime minister, a Conservative.

What's the big deal ?

Activists say Canada is trying to block a deal to ensure that western nations live up to promises to boost aid to Africa.

I don't think so, Why would he?

People are so quick to give opinions :noidea:

Just wondering -

He's also cozy with Bill Gates and the Family Planning bunch.

I've never even heard about him being cozy with Family Planning.

Shalom,

Whooooooo Hoooooooo and amen!!!!

I'm glad someone put Bono in his place. He is not a leader, he is an entertainer.

He is actually both. What do you know about Bono? What "place" does he need put in? :noidea:

This goes to the whole celebrity worship thing.

How people perceive him has nothing to do with the value of what he has to say.

Just because someone can act, sing, play guitar whatever, they get to spout off their opinion on politics and everything else. I think entertainers ought to stay in their own backyard.

Just because someone can act, sing, play guitar whatever does not mean that is all there is to them. Are they not allowed to hold beliefs? Are they not allowed to be passionate about things that are independent of the "entertainment" industry? Why should they "stay in their own backyard" if they have the ability to use their fame as a platform to do good for the world? :noidea:

This is an excellent point. It seems many of the people that proudly state their "opinions" do so ignorantly. Stating your opinion on something you don't know anything about actually does make a person's opinion less valid.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

Here here.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Just wondering -

Yes. Not only does he give money, but he helps build orphanages, hospitals, and has spent time there doing hands on work. He does most of this with Christian organizations because he is a Christian. There are pictures of him and his wife working at these places. . . .

:noidea: Thanks!

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

i absolutely agree with everything AK said. Imagine what would happen if everyone used their influence in such a positive way! :noidea: