• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

Hey Everyone,

I've been at Worthy for about four months and anyone here knows that I just LOVE it here, along with so many others... the General Discussions, the amont of knowledge, the fellowships, discussions, debates, and at times, even the arguments that turn sour show that we are just humans... and a church is made up of humans for sure.

Anyway, I'm rabbit trailing and that is not my point :taped: Oh yes, the food fights in chat are the *best*! However, I've been hearing a lot lately about people considering a Board a church, and becuase this is the only board I come to, I've heard many call this a church. There was a thread closed withs omeone asking some questions about how banning and stuff works, but it peaked my interested when it was asked about if it is for the "church" to decide after someone is banned.

Is there anyone here that actually considers Worthy Boards as a church or "the church"? I'm not "downing" anyone who believes that, and although I have talked to an admin once about it, I dont quite understand how Worthy is a church, considering there are no pastors, deacons, it's a called assembly, but there is no baptism or communion (ordinances of a church), and a local church is supposed to carry out the Great Commission, to spread the gospel. Yeah, we spread the gospel in here and I know that many get saved, but because someone gets banned in here, they aren't kicked out of a church, right? The fellowship is wonderful in here and I love it so much, but how Worthy is a church doesn't quite click in my mind.

While isn't coming out as I want it, I'm really asking in love as I'm curious about this and I've heard many comment as such. Is there anyone that can expain this to me?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  9,285
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  06/12/1974

[ ummmm im not sure what to say but i like it ....its great i use it for church right now since im not going to church..

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Better than church. Church only lasts a few hours a week. :)

t.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

George is a pastor, he really is. I think some people see the mods/ admins as elders and deacons. Worthy is a community of believers. It is a ministry. Its purpose is to glorify the Lord and guide people to salvation and closeness to the Lord. But it is not a physical church building with worship services etc. There are sites out there that call themselves internet churches. Some of them are quite bad. Perhaps that is why they are calling worthy a church? I know many scriptural church protocols are used at worthy, but not because worthy is a church as much as it is because worthy is an organized community of believers, an assembly as stated in scripture.

So worthy is kind of a church and kind of not a church.

Clear as mud?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

To answer that question effectively you would probably want to take a look at what the scriptures indicate are the requirements for a local gathering of believers.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

Better than church. Church only lasts a few hours a week. -_-

t.

24/7

:)

OC

• Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  9,285
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  06/12/1974

George is a pastor, he really is. I think some people see the mods/ admins as elders and deacons. Worthy is a community of believers. It is a ministry. Its purpose is to glorify the Lord and guide people to salvation and closeness to the Lord. But it is not a physical church building with worship services etc. There are sites out there that call themselves internet churches. Some of them are quite bad. Perhaps that is why they are calling worthy a church? I know many scriptural church protocols are used at worthy, but not because worthy is a church as much as it is because worthy is an organized community of believers, an assembly as stated in scripture.

So worthy is kind of a church and kind of not a church.

Clear as mud?

o one more thing....a site like this is very important,for a lot of different reasons!!there are people out there beat up from this cold world and are to beat up to go to a church....and are used to there computers....so when they find this they can find hope ....and hopefull God if there not saved too....

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  114
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  08/06/1961

Lets see,

Humm...

church [church]

n (plural church

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Worthy is a forum. I don't think by anybody's definition it can be called a church. A true church in NT terms has at least some degree of organization and structure; like organizational structure (Acts 6) leadership requirements (1 Tim 3), worship and ministry instructions (1 Cor 11, James 5:14) and so on. Without regard to George, who is a pastor, Worthy doesn't, to my knowledge, engage ministries associated with the church; train and equip the saints, send out missionaries, baptize people, administer Communion, and so on. Gathering, regularly, with a specific group of Christians was from the beginning the central activity of faith (Acts 2:42) and even the first modality of mission and witness in the world (Acts 2:43-47).

John Knox's Scot's Confession lists the marks of what he referred to as "the true church." Have a look:

First, the true preaching of the word of God, in which God has revealed himself to us, as the writings of the prophets and apostles declare;

Secondly, the right administration of the sacraments of Christ Jesus, to which must be joined the word and promise of God to seal and confirm them in our hearts;

Lastly, ecclesiastical discipline uprightly ministered, as God's word prescribes, whereby vice is repressed and virtue nourished.

Then wherever these notes are seen and continue for any time, be the number complete or not, there, beyond any doubt, is the true kirk (church) of Christ, who, according to his promise, is in the midst of them. This is not that universal kirk of which we have spoken before, but particular kirks, such as were in Corinth, Galatia, Ephesus, and other places where the ministry was planted by Paul and which he himself called kirks of God.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Worthy is a forum. I don't think by anybody's definition it can be called a church. A true church in NT terms has at least some degree of organization and structure; like organizational structure (Acts 6) leadership requirements (1 Tim 3), worship and ministry instructions (1 Cor 11, James 5:14) and so on. Without regard to George, who is a pastor, Worthy doesn't, to my knowledge, engage ministries associated with the church; train and equip the saints, send out missionaries, baptize people, administer Communion, and so on. Gathering, regularly, with a specific group of Christians was from the beginning the central activity of faith (Acts 2:42) and even the first modality of mission and witness in the world (Acts 2:43-47).

John Knox's Scot's Confession lists the marks of what he referred to as "the true church." Have a look:

First, the true preaching of the word of God, in which God has revealed himself to us, as the writings of the prophets and apostles declare;

Secondly, the right administration of the sacraments of Christ Jesus, to which must be joined the word and promise of God to seal and confirm them in our hearts;

Lastly, ecclesiastical discipline uprightly ministered, as God's word prescribes, whereby vice is repressed and virtue nourished.

Then wherever these notes are seen and continue for any time, be the number complete or not, there, beyond any doubt, is the true kirk (church) of Christ, who, according to his promise, is in the midst of them. This is not that universal kirk of which we have spoken before, but particular kirks, such as were in Corinth, Galatia, Ephesus, and other places where the ministry was planted by Paul and which he himself called kirks of God.

Thats where I was going with my question. Worthy is part of the Church universal, but is not a local church in the true sense of the word