IGNORED

Labor strikes & the love of money (& perks)

jeffnevins

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

Not all strikes are, but it seems many are.

There's a garbage strike in Oakland now, which sucks, but teachers, nurses, or even policemen do this as well.

The Montreal police strike of 1969 resulted in a crime spree.

I cross a picket line if I want to.

If I need food (no car), and some dudes are standing around Bristol Farms in SF w/signs, I don't respect them much.

Some people are working hard for less, and are thankful, and other folks just want work.

Well, I got that off my chest.

Take care. God bless. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  08/27/1959

There's a garbage strike in Oakland now, which sucks, but teachers, nurses, or even policemen do this as well.

The Montreal police strike of 1969 resulted in a crime spree.

I cross a picket line if I want to.

If I need food (no car), and some dudes are standing around Bristol Farms in SF w/signs, I don't respect them much.

Some people are working hard for less, and are thankful, and other folks just want work.

Well, I got that off my chest.

Take care. God bless. :thumbsup:

I can understand the frustration but many strikes are not for the love of money or perks but for the need to make a living wage to raise your family. corportions do not like letting go of a penny much less a dollar because it cuts into the bottom line.

So unti the workers strike they just ride it out.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

:) I'm right there with you. I cross picket lines and I never honk my horn.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

I would never cross a picket line. I am in a union and it is unfair to villianize striking workers. It has been my experience that strikes have very little to do with greed, more with what is fair. I know my own company gives very small raises and reduces our benifits and perks a little every time we have a new contract. We havent gone out on strike over this. Not all, but Most of the strikes I have seen have been when companies were making great profits and tried to cut benefits or pay because the company was greedy. So if you are going to villianize the union members you must also do the same for the big companies to be fair. Another thing that troubles me is that people outside of unions have this opinion that union workers are lazy. I would challenge any so called "hard workers" that is making a lesser than union wage to try some on the union jobs, you would find that most expect a lot of thier workers. I hear these reports on the news about union workers who get there quota of work done in 3 or 4 hours and can go home for the day with eight hours pay. This is the exception, not the rule. I know were I work in no gravy train, my eight hour shift is eight hours which I believe is fair.

Anyway thats my opinion. God bless.

Edited by anvil72

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

I am ambivolent on the issue (believe it or not!).

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

I would never cross a picket line. I am in a union and it is unfair to villianize striking workers. It has been my experience that strikes have very little to do with greed, more with what is fair. I know my own company gives very small raises and reduces our benifits and perks a little every time we have a new contract. We havent gone out on strike over this. Not all, but Most of the strikes I have seen have been when companies were making great profits and tried to cut benefits or pay because the company was greedy. So if you are going to villianize the union members you must also do the same for the big companies to be fair. Another thing that troubles me is that people outside of unions have this opinion that union workers are lazy. I would challenge any so called "hard workers" that is making a lesser than union wage to try some on the union jobs, you would find that most expect a lot of thier workers. I hear these reports on the news about union workers who get there quota of work done in 3 or 4 hours and can go home for the day with eight hours pay. This is the exception, not the rule. I know were I work in no gravy train, my eight hour shift is eight hours which I believe is fair.

Anyway thats my opinion. God bless.

And you're entitled to it. But in the 21st century a union is a dinosaur. I was a union employee at one time, made a good living and all. But my income and opportunities grew exponentially when I changed careers. No longer unionized, I negotiate my own contracts. If a client won't pay what I feel is a reasonable fee, I cut him lose and move on to the next one. Unions generally serve to protect the weakest employee but cap the truly exceptional ones. No thanks. I don't "villainize," or vilify any union; I feel their day is long past.