• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,157
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/25/1982

I think we shouldn't take it that seriously. Y'know? Like i dont really like to hear the "F" word all the time, so i choose to watch shows with minimal language or minimal use of it. But i dont think that the "F" bomb is harmful, its just abrasive. Same with Sarah Silverman. She's hilarious. I think when people do God jokes or Jesus jokes, its funny.

Why?

Because i dont think God cares. If he really, honestly cared he'd probably do something about it.

Shalom Thoughtful,

May I ask in all sincerity, are you serious about this?

I am 110% serious about this. God made us in his image. This does not mean only in the physical sense. I'm sure God has a sense of humor, an ability to shrug stuff off, an ability to laugh, to feel anger, to be indifferent.

God gave us free will, which means he promised, in giving us free will, to allow us to do certain things. If he were just a fraction as offended as some Christians are by the mockery on TV, he would probably do something to stop us. But he wont. Im sure God could laugh at things like Bruce Almighty, or feel indifferent to things like Sarah Silverman.

But he probably doesnt. Why? Because he doesnt care. God is not watching every person on this earth for the sole purpose of seeing whether they're "bad or good". He's not marking down that Sarah Silverman made some awful joke about him. And he's not counting the people who laughed.

He

Dosent

Care.

And why should he? He's God. Do you think that he puts in as much concern for televised entertainment as he does for third world issues? No. If some Christians get offended, then they shouldn't watch it. If some don't, then the one's who are offended shouldn't judge them for it.

Alas, some Christians wouldn't be able to go on breathing if they couldnt judge SOMEONE for SOMETHING, whatever those two may be.

Shalom Thoughtful,

I am sorry, but these statements are not Scriptural. Please prove that G-d doesn't CARE about what is said about Him.

I believe the Scriptures indicate that G-d hears every word, thought and cares very much what we think about and say about Him. He is HOLY. He isn't a joke. Even His Name is Holy! How dare we, or anyone, treat the Almighty as a joke and think it's OK?

Exodus 20

You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.

1 Peter 1

4 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, 15but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, 16since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy."

Thank you..amen I also wanted to add that the reason God does not change it is because then He would be violating our free will...I agree with Vickilynn that this is mockery of our Lord and Savior.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

From the topic title, I thought the claim was all TV shows mock God.

That's not the case- some are even Chrstian.

But yes, some do, and are very unfortunate.

Guest smiley3
I am 110% serious about this. God made us in his image. This does not mean only in the physical sense. I'm sure God has a sense of humor, an ability to shrug stuff off, an ability to laugh, to feel anger, to be indifferent.

God gave us free will, which means he promised, in giving us free will, to allow us to do certain things. If he were just a fraction as offended as some Christians are by the mockery on TV, he would probably do something to stop us. But he wont. Im sure God could laugh at things like Bruce Almighty, or feel indifferent to things like Sarah Silverman.

But he probably doesnt. Why? Because he doesnt care. God is not watching every person on this earth for the sole purpose of seeing whether they're "bad or good". He's not marking down that Sarah Silverman made some awful joke about him. And he's not counting the people who laughed.

He

Dosent

Care.

And why should he? He's God. Do you think that he puts in as much concern for televised entertainment as he does for third world issues? No. If some Christians get offended, then they shouldn't watch it. If some don't, then the one's who are offended shouldn't judge them for it.

Alas, some Christians wouldn't be able to go on breathing if they couldnt judge SOMEONE for SOMETHING, whatever those two may be.

I'm not quite sure I'm understanding you, Thoughtful. You keep mentioning that God would do something about the jokes made on television if He found them offensive. I don't think this is a very good arguement. I can't remember the exact statement, and I do feel sorry for it, but yesterday I told a horrible lie. Now I've told many lies in the past, and, I'm sure you can agree with me that lying is wrong, as clearly stated through the Ten Commandments. And because lying is wrong, it is disobedient to God, and therefore God doesn't like it. However, I've lied many times in the past, and yesterday was no different. God didn't stop me. He didn't strike me with a bolt of lightning or any of that stuff. He did fill me with repentance, but that is an intangible result. There are many more examples I can make, but my point can be made without all of them. Just because God finds something offensive, doesn't mean He'll change it. God is holy and perfect. When we make fun of other men, it's a totally different subject. Men are imperfect and have faults, and making fun of them, although against the commandment to never speak falsely of one's neighbor is easy to do. But God who is omnipotent and omniscient! How can one make fun of Him with a clear conscience? Just because He doesn't send the plagues against the comedian who does it, doesn't mean He doesn't like it, and definitely doesn't mean we should condone it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

Vickilynn - I agree with you completely. The Old Testament is full of God dealing with Israel and keeping them from pagan ways. It does matter to Him. Just because we are on this side of the Cross doesn't mean that it is OK with God that we fill our minds with worldly thngs. We all have heard the saying "garbage in, garbage out". Well it applies to every part of our life. If we claim to be Christian, but fill our minds with filth then we are allowing garbage in.

My family has not had television reception for 10 years and we don't miss it a bit. We have a large DVD collection - no we don't have Bruce Almighty. We have lots of Christian teaching DVD's as well as entertainment DVD's. But we don't get anything with foul language, sex, or violence for the sake of violence. There are lots of movies that are decent and entertaining. "Remember the Titans" is great. "Flywheel" is great. "Facing the Giants" is great. There is a long list of good movies with strong plots.

God does care. If He didn't care He wouldn't have died on the cross for us.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Ah Vickilynn, we have arrived here once more. You are misinterpreting those scriptures and pulling them from their origional context. While the verse from 1 Peter is good to live by, it had nothing to do with joking about God in TV Shows. Second, taking the Lords name in vain does not mean DONT JOKE ABOUT HIM, but it means do not Say you are a Christian and then live as though you're not. Its a calling out of those living in paradox. Not TV Shows. God doesnt care. If he cares, let him change it. If not, laugh or dont laugh. Its up to you.

But dont judge those who do laugh. Or who make the jokes. God doesnt have to be brought into EVERYTHING as some Christians will believe.

Second, taking the Lords name in vain does not mean DONT JOKE ABOUT HIM, but it means do not Say you are a Christian and then live as though you're not.

No, that's hypocrisy. One takes the Lord's name in vain any time it is used in a way that doesn't give praise or glory to Him. I simply can't imagine where you get the idea God doesn't care what we say about Him. You do know that blasphemy is the unpardonable sin, right? You don't consider the smut uttered about God on t.v shows to be blasphemy? You have a unique take on what being a Christian means, Thoughtful. :emot-highfive:

Guest shiloh357
I think we shouldn't take it that seriously. Y'know? Like i dont really like to hear the "F" word all the time, so i choose to watch shows with minimal language or minimal use of it. But i dont think that the "F" bomb is harmful, its just abrasive. Same with Sarah Silverman. She's hilarious. I think when people do God jokes or Jesus jokes, its funny.

Why?

Because i dont think God cares. If he really, honestly cared he'd probably do something about it.

Shalom Thoughtful,

May I ask in all sincerity, are you serious about this?

He

Dosent

Care.

It is not God that does not care what is said about Him, it is you that does not care what is said about God. You are simply decieving yourself.

All throughout the Bible there is an expectation that those who serve the Lord will reverence Him and not treat Him in a light manner. You are projecting your apathy on the Lord and that is a very grave error.

Nowhere in the Bible does not portray Himself as you are depicting Him.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,856
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

"All men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one-another"

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  04/25/1978

Not airing in SA thankfully!!!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

OP - I agree with you. The enemy has used humor to get people to accept lifestyles, etc. that are not Biblical.

Yes, we're to love others but we don't have to agree with what they do especially when it comes to mocking Yahweh or Yeshua.

It's not only in the adult programs, it's in cartoons and other children's programs, too - no it's not funny.