OneLight

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I have heard good words about The Message. My Pastor used it in his sermon. What are your feelings about the Bible?

OneLight

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,050
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1952

It isn't something I would study -- or really use. A friend of mine sent a copy to me and just a quick look was discouraging. It isn't a translation from the original text, but a man's interpretation. The little I have read leads me to think that it is a New Age/Emerging Church type of thing. In fact, my husband my have thrown it away. There is another thread going about Warren Smith, with a link to an audio talk he gave. This might give you a little insight on The Message.

<>< ><>

Nathele

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

in the Lord's Prayer, mr peterson saw fit to "translate" the words "on earth, as it is in Heaven" as "as above, so below." the phrase "as above, so below" is a phrase that occultists use. so therefore, i don't need "The Message."

Edited by thunderbyrd

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Its one paraphrase I am not fond of particularly, I have not used any paraphrase as a study material. I read the "Good News Bible" as a teenager because I was capivated by the illustrations...remember those?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Its one paraphrase I am not fond of particularly, I have not used any paraphrase as a study material. I read the "Good News Bible" as a teenager because I was capivated by the illustrations...remember those?

yes, i remember those little stickmen! i bought one of those from the PX at ft. knox in '79. i really liked it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  424
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

:emot-handshake: Edited by hopper

i enjoy the message... but not for serious study. i often will use it in conjunction with the KJV and NIV, but like any paraphrase, it's, well, it's a paraphrase. it's not going to be entirely accurate a lot of the time.

my pastor uses it for sunday morning services. (we're a recovery church, and the language of the message is something that most of the congregation can wrap their brain around.) however, he is careful to not use the message alone. he will drive home certain points and clarify many others using the NKJV.

he doesn't, however, use the message at all when doing evening services, which are more of a bible study format where we delve deeper into scripture at a slower pace.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

For some people it helps to have the words of Scripture explained with modern lingo to make it more meaningful.

But in some ways, the author(s?) create a sermonette with the interpretation, so it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Here's an example:

Phil. 4: 4-9

NKJV

4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. 6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

The Message

4 Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! 5 Make it as clear as you can to all you meet that you're on their side, working with them and not against them. Help them see that the Master is about to arrive. He could show up any minute! 6 Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. 7 Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life. 8 Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious - the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. 9 Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.

• Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

I don't care for "The Message" at all. Not only is it what I call "watered down" and even altered, but it's not broken down into verses which, IMO, makes it less understandable, not more. I prefer to use the KJV and AMP when studying and the AMP for just reading.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

I am afraid that like so many other things in regard to Christianity today, we try to stray from foundational teachings, that might be a little bitter to taste (sometimes) and the enemy knows this, and will use whatever tool he can find to get us to move away from absolutes. Just because it's claimed to be Scripture, doesn't necessarily mean it's good for us. I'd rather be safe than sorry, and stick to more traditional avenues, for fear that I might be led astray with something that leans more toward "easiness". Just give me the Truth, hard parts and all!

You know that Satan was able to use Scripture to try to persuade and tempt. (He didn't win, but nevertheless, it was Scripture He attempted to use, to deceive. I think we should always be mindful of that tactic.)

In His Love,

Suzanne