• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil. Job 1:1 KJV

It what ways was Job perfect, don't we begin to see his flaws once the story is underway. How was He perfect, because the Bible doesn't mislead?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,839
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/23/1964

Maybe he was perfect in his heart towards God.

I believe that a man's heart can be perfect towards God, though his actions may fall short.

My theory, anyways :39:

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  52
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  06/17/1953

There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil. Job 1:1 KJV

It what ways was Job perfect, don't we begin to see his flaws once the story is underway. How was He perfect, because the Bible doesn't mislead?

i dont think when taking the entire book of Job into account, he was being refferd to as perfect because of actually being perfect? When it says he was perfect it was obviously meant to mean he had all that anyman could possibly have. And jobs story gos on to tell how then satan entered into his life and made things not so good, {with Gods permission} and this entire thing was done in order to teach us all great and important things about the kingdom. :noidea:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

His faith was perfect...thats what they were testing I believe...He is human also....I agree with sweetyc.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  10/28/1987

His faith was perfect...thats what they were testing I believe...He is human also....I agree with sweetyc.
this is what i believe as well.

noah did some disappointing things if i recall, but he was considered "blameless" because of his perseverance of faith.

humanoid

• Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  963
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Birthday:  07/10/1963

Job was very prosperous. The test for him could possibly have been whether a 'camel could pass through the eye of a needle'. It is harder for a rich man to enter into heaven because all his security and beliefs are in prosperity. This is partly why I am cautious of prosperity doctrine.

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

I agree with Bolts 100% about the dangers of the prosperity teachings! But I think even after Job lost all his wealth he said " The Lord it is who gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the Name of the Lord." And " Naked came I from my womb. And naked shall I return whence I came." I am trying to go off memory here, as I don't have good vision to read a Bible in print anymore. So I hope I got that straight! (I only have audio Bible on CD for the NEW testament. Which would exclude the book of Job, of course) Anyway, it seems that I also remember Satan saying to God something like, "Touch a man in his body and he will curse You to Your face." So I think Job eventually got upset with God after he kept suffering with those awful boils he got all over him. I learned from personal experience that you can endure many a hardship. But when it affects your own body, you go crazy from the pain after awhile. You start thinking bad thoughts you never dreamed you were capable of. Even doubting God's Love for you and wondering if you are really saved!! Chronic illness and severe pain can do awful things to your mind. They can turn your world upside down! I am still struggling with this confusion. But I am trying not to let it destroy my faith. Sorry to get long winded on this, but it is a book of the Bible that is near and dear to my heart. Because of my nearly two year brain disease ( and the crippling of my legs plus bad weakening of my hands. ) Though I don't claim to have suffered as much as Job did, he's a guy I sorta relate to...

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The Scriptures state also that David was perfect (or similar term), except with regards to Bathsheba. Yet, there is an account where David numbered the men of Israel and was punished for this action - so why was it not remembered in the previous statement? (There is also evidence that David was not a perfect husband, not a perfect father, so how does this fit into the original statement?)

My point with this here is that God must look at perfection differently than we do. Perhaps he isn't into gnat-straining like we tend to be? Perhaps, as was mentioned above, his heart was perfect towards God, and this is what made him "perfect"?

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I learned from personal experience that you can endure many a hardship. But when it affects your own body, you go crazy from the pain after awhile. You start thinking bad thoughts you never dreamed you were capable of. Even doubting God's Love for you and wondering if you are really saved!! Chronic illness and severe pain can do awful things to your mind. They can turn your world upside down! I am still struggling with this confusion. But I am trying not to let it destroy my faith. Sorry to get long winded on this, but it is a book of the Bible that is near and dear to my heart. Because of my nearly two year brain disease ( and the crippling of my legs plus bad weakening of my hands. ) Though I don't claim to have suffered as much as Job did, he's a guy I sorta relate to...

:) Oh dear!

I have rheumatoid arthritis, so I understand the feelings - the chemicals in my brain get off-balanced at times as well.

Prayers for grace and wisdom as you struggle with this.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  469
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  09/21/1967

This is from Strongs on the word.

From H8552; complete; usually (morally) pious; specifically gentle, dear: - coupled together, perfect, plain, undefiled, upright.

Perfect is the wrong word to use in the translation, yes it maybe King James, but King James is not a perfect translation. I like the NIVs translation of Job 1 it is better,it is written as "This man was blamless and upright."

Verse 1 is simply saying that Job was spiritually and morally upright. IT is not implying that Job was perfect, which is why translating this as "perfect" is probably wrong choice of word, as Job admits he is a sinner and is not perfect.

The Scriptures state also that David was perfect (or similar term), except with regards to Bathsheba. Yet, there is an account where David numbered the men of Israel and was punished for this action - so why was it not remembered in the previous statement? (There is also evidence that David was not a perfect husband, not a perfect father, so how does this fit into the original statement?)

My point with this here is that God must look at perfection differently than we do. Perhaps he isn't into gnat-straining like we tend to be? Perhaps, as was mentioned above, his heart was perfect towards God, and this is what made him "perfect"?

God does not look at perfection differently. Only person to walk this earth who was Perfect was Christ. Everyone of us, even JOB comes a long way short of Gods definition of perfection.

You have to realize that no one Bible gives a 100% accurate translation, sure the inaccuracies are very minor , this Job passage and other places where people are described as perfect is a good example. Take a look at the Strongs numbering and what the original actually means, see above, Sure , perfect can be used as a translation but it is not a very good substitute for the translation. There are some words in other languages that we have no words for in English and have to use whole sentances to convey what a single word means in another langauge!

This is where getting yourself a couple of study Bibles is a good idea along with Strongs numbering etc, you can get Strongs on Esword, which saves a few pounds and time, Reading a couple of versions side by side with notes you can not really go wrong.