Botz

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Just a quick point...and I know it is a cultural thing to some degree.

I notice many people on this site use the words Sheesh and Geez to express astonishment or exasperation or some such...I guess you didn't realize it but those are synonyms for the lovely name of Jesus and in reality you are taking His name in vain and cheapening it. Unbelievers I can understand...but it should not be so in the household of Faith. I suspect it is just something that has creeped into the vernacular and no one has questioned it or pointed it out...so I thought I would. :blink:

Rev 15:4 Who shall not fear thee, O Lord, and glorify thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before thee; for thy judgments are made manifest.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LadyC

my mom would agree with you. i can see your point, and where one would make that connection, but i disagree. when i was a kid, i said things like 'kiss my foot', and 'oh, fudgey-toes', or darn. would you say that's no different from saying kiss my a**, f@#%, and d---? you might, but then i'd like to know what kind of expressions a christian might dare to express?

the answer? none.

i see geez as an informal, shortened version of 'gee whiz', which was also a popular expression when i was a kid. 'sheesh' is not something i say at all, but i would think it would come closer to resembling the word s***.

Guest shiloh357
Just a quick point...and I know it is a cultural thing to some degree.

I notice many people on this site use the words Sheesh and Geez to express astonishment or exasperation or some such...I guess you didn't realize it but those are synonyms for the lovely name of Jesus and in reality you are taking His name in vain and cheapening it. Unbelievers I can understand...but it should not be so in the household of Faith. I suspect it is just something that has creeped into the vernacular and no one has questioned it or pointed it out...so I thought I would.

Just wondering if you can provide the etymological history of the words you cited above and how they came from the name Jesus? How exactly are they synonymous with the Name Jesus? I am not challenging you, I am just interested in how you came about this information.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/16/1959

I agree Botz, even though it is something I am sure I am guilty of, i.e. geez and sheesh. I think we really need to draw the line somewhere, I have at least two Christian friends who use the Lord's name like it was nothing, I mean you think they are going to say 'Gosh', but they don't.

If we would delete 'gosh' and 'golly' from our vocabulary, we wouldn't have that problem.

I tell my son if you are going to come as close to using a swear word as you can, why don't you just say it. What is your purpose in coming so close to swearing? If your intent is to look cool in front of your non-Christian friends, it's wrong and believe me they are not impressed anyway.

Rid yourself of all unwholesome talk...Ephesians 4.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Lady C ...I think you miss the significance.

Using other words in place of swear/strong words is understandable...although I believe it is possible to refrain from even this....but to use a word that sounds like Jesus but isn't exactly Jesus and yet it stems from the name of Jesus should not be done...especially in the way it is .

We do not say 'Christ' or 'Jesus' when something goes wrong... and many Christians abhor hearing the name of the L-rd used this way....similarly a shortened version expressing the same thing in a slightly different form is unbecoming and sends out confusing signals.

Where you think Geez and Sheesh originate from and what are the true origins are two different things...I would think that the link however tenuous would be enough to make one think again.

I'm with your Mum on this one. :t2:

Shiloh...

The American Heritage

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  678
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I admit I sometimes fall when I get angry (usually for stupid reasons...) and yell or say "D**n it!" or "f***" but most of the time my mouth is thankfully clean. I think when most people say "sheesh" or "geez" they are saying them as alternatives to actual swearing. There may be an argument that some are in fact starting to say "Jesus" when they say "geez," and catching themselves before they finish, but this is not necessarily true (of course there is also such a thing as going too far, like my cousin used to say "Jesus H. Christ"- of course he doesn't believe in God anyway...). As for sheesh...? I don't know. What I do know is that this is one of those cases of even if it's okay for someone else it's a sin for you. If you are on this train that these are every bit as bad as saying "Jesus" (in vain of course) then you shouldn't say them because you would be saying His name in vain and sinning.

I'm sorry if this sounds a little bit relativistic, but there really are cases where something is a sin for you but not for someone else due to your own thought processes and mind. As I said, most people use words like this to avoid sinning.

But now that all of us reading this thread will think of Jesus's name when we hear those two words they are sin for us too, so I don't wan't to hear you using them, m'kay? :t2:

Edited by Qun Mang

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

Yep, when I was growing up my Dad called them "minced oaths" and they were forbidden in our home. I raised my kids the same way. I have been known to say "shoot" when I forget something are am distressed, but I am trying to quit saying that because my daughter called me on it. :t2:

• Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Can I ask how the word sheesh is interperated as taking the Lords name in vain. Sorry maybe I'm a lil dumb on this.

I say gee and sheesh but as Lady C said it is gee wizz with no thought of it as an offence to God if I ment it in that way I would not say it. I think it can be a matter of the heart personally and a cultural thing, what is an offence to one isn't always an offence to another on this issue............. Such as certain words that are used by some parts of the US which are aired here in prime time and some of the words are extreemly offensive but to Americans using them there is no intent to offend because they have a different meaning there than what they do here in Australia. I have never ment saying those words as in saying gee in place of Jesus it has always been a word of expression.

Now posting the letters omg, there can be offence from that!

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  624
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

I think it all depends on intent really. If when you say Geez or Sheesh instead of saying a swear word or Damn, the intent is different than taking the Lords name in vain.

Edited by Steff

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.93
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Well, my problem is...

What do you say when you are frustrated or in pain from stubbing your toe or whatever situation you are in where you and everyone else uses these expressions?

Any alternatives?

And please don't say, "Say nothing," because be honest - something's gotta come out!