~candice~

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

How do you go about reading your bible? Seems that each day when I go to read it, I just open it up at a random book and read the book or a few chapters. It is all over the place. Do you have a technique or system or something?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,272
  • Content Per Day:  4.88
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

I follow a schedule to read the entire Book in a year. And then I use a different version each year. Right now I am reading the "Expositor's Study Bible", which is a KJV. So far, I have found the commentary, which is interspersed with the verses, very enlightening, educational, and may change my view on a couple of theological stances that I have. For sure it has increased my underatanding of God's plan since before eternity. :24:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

I have read the Bible several times - the first time was with a study group that read a chapter from OT & NT each day along with a Psalm. I'm finishing reading with my husband soon - we started a summer program. I love the KJV, as it is the one I had read to me as a child. I have a NIV that I used this summer and it was great too. The electronic versions are amazing and I love Biblegateway.com ...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I have read the Bible several times - the first time was with a study group that read a chapter from OT & NT each day along with a Psalm. I'm finishing reading with my husband soon - we started a summer program. I love the KJV, as it is the one I had read to me as a child. I have a NIV that I used this summer and it was great too. The electronic versions are amazing and I love Biblegateway.com ...

Me too! I have the 'Bible on One Page' on my desktop and try to read some every day. I just choose a page at random too. :24:

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I am the odd man out. I study it by subject. I can say that I am a bit ashamed to admit that I don't read it as a book like everyone else, so I have not read the whole bible. For me, and I guess this is my excuse, I am far more interested in what God tells me about a certain subject then I am about the whole story as history.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  09/10/1973

I have a schedule which allows me to read the bible in one year. It comes out to 4 chapters a day, in one year you read the entire bible and the gospels twice. I have noticed the spiritual reinforcement in my life since I have started with this plan.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Content Count:  2,791
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  06/13/1977

I was going to say one word at a time, but I don't need smacked right now.

Seriously I normally skip around on books, but I do focus on one book at a time. Normally about a chapter a day.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

If you have never read the whole Bible before, it's a good idea to find a way to do so.

Either start with Gen. 1 and read a few chapters a day (I read 3 a day - except for when I got to Psalm 119, which I read 3 sections a day);

Or do a Bible-in-a-year program where they put everything in chronological order.

There are other ways, but those are the most common.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  08/06/1967

When I was a new Christian, I read mostly the NT books and some OT books like Psalms, Proverbs, etc. I also read the other books, but mostly because of some preachings I heard.

Then I decided to read the whole Bible about two years ago from beginning to end. I read about 5 chapters a day, and after I would read the parts I felt led to read too. That was the time I read the books of the minor prophets which I discovered to be very interesting as well. Reading the whole Bible gave me a whole new understanding of many things.

Now I've started to read the NT again. I am now in Luke. But almost everyday, I would read something from the Psalms because there are many parts there that I use as prayers.

Be blessed...South

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

name='~andy~' date='Aug 28 2009, 07:16 PM'

How do you go about reading your bible? Seems that each day when I go to read it, I just open it up at a random book and read the book or a few chapters. It is all over the place. Do you have a technique or system or something?

andy,

I don't think one has to have a technique or system of some kind to read the bible. I think one can start in Genesis at the beginning and read straight through to the end of Revelation and you will gain an overall insight of the plan of God from the beginning of time to the end of time and when you get finished reading cover to cover just start all over again.

If you was to read 20 chapters a day you would finish the entire bible in 2 months :24: if you stood faithful to reading then you could read it 6 times in a years time. You do not need to read all twenty chapters at one time they could be split up like 10 morning 10 night. But reading them all at once keeps your progress going as well as keeping you motivated.

God bless your reading and study in the word.

OC