• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

About tipping...

When I tip I ALWAYS give a minimum of 15%...thats the minimum...not the maximum. If you receive poor service you should pay the minimum...if you receive good service you should pay above and beyond the minimum accordingly.

The service would have to be particularly horrible to avoid paying the minimum gratuity...at which point I would probably advise the management and give the gratuity to them for dispersement. I have never been in a situation in my adult life where I saw fit to leave less than 15%, or complain to a manager.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

We had a server who simply quit after she took our order.... it would have been good of the management to let us know there was something amiss - after an hour - my husband asked another server and was told that our server was gone.... We finally got the manager's attention - who apologized profusely and gave us a complimentary meal.... I tip at least the minimum and it's usually more...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  665
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/24/1968

A Pa couple were arrested for not paying a 22% tip. Even though their service was horrible: click here

Oh my!!!! That's insane!!!! :rolleyes::noidea:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Tipping in my country is not a legal requirement. I sometimes think if people were paid more we would not have to tip, although I do for good service. Bad service? I ask the person, "do you want a tip?', "Never go out in the rain without an umbrella". :emot-hug:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I would be willing to bet that there is a lot more to this story than we will ever know. We're talking about a $2.04 tip each that they didn't pay, and the 18% would have been $1.62 each.

Basically they are talking about a 37 cent difference.

To expose yourself to the justice system over 74 cents (between the two of them) is very very foolish for both sides of the issue. Apparently the other six paid up.

Yep, my guess is that there is much much more to this story, or Mrs. Gump was right.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

Tipping in my country is not a legal requirement. I sometimes think if people were paid more we would not have to tip, although I do for good service. Bad service? I ask the person, "do you want a tip?', "Never go out in the rain without an umbrella". :emot-hug:

Fez, you are a rule unto yourself! What a response! I may borrow it......... :P

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Customers may always be right, but some are not too bright.. and try with all your might, will only get you spite.

• Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I have been a food server many times in my life at fine dining establishments. Sometimes I didn't deserve a tip and other times, I did but didn't get it. I had parties all the time of 6 or more and our menu said they would be charged a certain gratuity but I never charged them for it. I allowed them to decide what my service was worth. It is not legal for that restaurant to enforce it. It's just an expected mannerism but the customer will always be right, or should be in the end.

If I didn't get the tip I desired, it forced me to work harder. I promise you, if I was doing my job efficiently, I got that 18%-20% average per night. Very rarely did I ever get ripped off and if I did, a generous tip from other tables made up for it so it was no biggy. You learn to take the good with the bad in service work. It's just a given.

"The Customer Is Always Right" is a motto my mother taught me when I was 9 years old. I think it keeps workers honest.

:wacko:

• 4 months later...

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  212
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,691
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1

I think its crazy no absurd for people to be forced to pay when the service they received was terrible. If an individual chooses to tip in spite of bad service that should be their personal choice but to be forced to is wrong. I agree with the others who commented that there is probably more to the story than what is posted in the article becasue it doesn't make much sense to me. If people are being forced to tip for bad serive that gives the servers no reason to serve their custmers well becasue they know they will be tipped anyway. I dont remember the article disclosing the amount of people in their party that they had. Maybe different eating establishments have different definations on what a large group is? but if its 18 percent for large groups why are they being charged an extra 4 percent? That seems shady to me of the restrauent.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  212
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,691
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1

forgot to say this in my previous post but I think its rude of servers to ask for tips from their customers. That isnt very good manners.

Also, I dont remember seeing tip requirements anywhere in menus or posted on restraunet grounds. Maybe each state is different?

Regardless, I would tip anyway just to be polite even if I did get bad service but I would tell management so they are aware. But I generally dont like to reward bad behavior I see how its like Christ to show grace and stuff but if u still give anyway they may continue providing bad service expecting tips and its not loving to enable that behavior.