IGNORED

Is leading someone in a 'sinner's prayer' scriptural?

turtletwo

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I know that people have gotten saved for real that way, but in the Bible, salvation included a call to repentance.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,273
  • Content Per Day:  4.86
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Anytime you can lead a person to Christ is a good thing.

Guest shiloh357
I have some misgivings about this method. I think that it is a poor substitute for someone coming to Christ on a personal basis ( and giving their life to Him that way.)

The sinner's prayer is just a point of contact. It is neither promoted by scripture, but neither does it violate any teaching of Scripture. The prayer is for the benefit of the one praying and actually serves as a way of providing assurance to the person that they are saved.

A person is saved, the minute they, from the heart say yes to Jesus. The Bible says that "with the heart man believeth unto righteousness." That happens before a prayer is recited.

I heard a preacher once tell a story of how his dad got saved. His dad was a very old man and was a life long alcoholic and pretty made his living on the farm. One day, after years of rejecting the gospel, he was driving down an old dusty road and suddenly pulled his old truck by the side of the road and walked a few feet out into the field next to the road, took off his hat, looked up and said, "Sir, I don't know how to talk to you, but I'll say this as plain as I can. I suppose I have known all along that wha

Brother? You didn't complete your story. :laugh:

Ha! My computer timed out on me when I was waiting for it complete the post!!

He said, "Sir, I don't know how to talk to you, but I'll say this as plain as I can. I suppose I have known all along that what those folks said is true, but I was just stubborn. Now, I don't know what in the world you would want with an old drunk like me, but if you'll have me, I would like to be a Christian. I don't understand what all of that means just yet, but just do what you need to do to."

That was all he said, and the preacher said, he called him up and told him what he had done, and he bought his dad is first ever Bible. There is no formula. God sees what your heart is saying.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

In the privacy of my home, I said "so this is what you want from me Lord? To believe that He is Your Son?" The impact of that leaves no doubt of my salvation.

In Acts, there is a good example of one on one leading to the Lord. A prayer was not involved, but it could have been just as easily. Note verse 37, which shows clearly what it takes to be saved: belief.

Acts 8

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I wonder how many time we actually say the "sinners prayer" in our prayer life without realizing it. Here are a few of the likenesses I am aware of.

Dear God ---------------------------------------------------- God, you are the Lord of my life.

Forgive me for I have sinned. ------------------------------ Forgive my sins that I have committed, both knowingly and unknowingly

Help me not to sin any more ------------------------------- Strengthen me in my walk with you.

Come and live in my heart --------------------------------- Fill me with Your Spirit, refine me with Your fire.

Please be the Lord of my life. ------------------------------ Lead me with your Spirit in all that I do.

Thank you Lord for loving me and dying for me ---------- I give You all the honor, praise and glory

I ask in Your name ------------------------------------------ In Jesus name I ask

Amen --------------------------------------------------------- Amen

Of course, this is very generic, but all without even realizing it ... hmmmmmm

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

In the privacy of my home, I said "so this is what you want from me Lord? To believe that He is Your Son?" The impact of that leaves no doubt of my salvation.

In Acts, there is a good example of one on one leading to the Lord. A prayer was not involved, but it could have been just as easily. Note verse 37, which shows clearly what it takes to be saved: belief.

Acts 8

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

God views the heart, and not how you say the prayer of faith. You can "think" a prayer of repentance. The saving is not in the words, but in the God prayed to. :emot-pray:

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  09/28/1962

Sinners prayer is a funny, if not so serious thing, you see shows like benny hin where so called thousands give there life to Jesus, yet surveys later on find less then 10% acually stay in there, its because the prayer means nothing to God, its just like teaching a parrot to speak. If the person is truly repentant, he would have no need, but to cry out " Jesus", and he would be saved. Millions of people say the sinners prayer ten are saved.

In HIs LOve

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

In answer to the OP's question--Is leading someone in a 'sinner's prayer' scriptural?

Well there is certainly nothing unscriptural about it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Turtle, when my dad got in the shape yours is in physically and mom's Alzheimer's progressed they both enjoyed hearing the Bible from a set of CD's I gave them.