• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/23/1971

Why are people hurtful? Close relatives like grandparents, siblings, step-parents, parents, etc. They talk behind your back and then are totally different when you are present. You help them at any given time, you stop what you are doing put them first and are nice, giving, and patient, and they still treat you like you have done absolutely nothing.

love, sister-in-Christ,

Jane

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,054
  • Content Per Day:  5.06
  • Days Won:  238
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

:noidea::UsA_smilie::UsA_smilie::whistling::laugh: it feels like that at times for all of us at any age but God knows what you do and the best thing is to do it and forget it. If you wait to be appreaciated here on earth ( especially by relatives :blink: ) you are in for a VERY long wait :laugh::laugh:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

It seems there is always some kind of strife going on somewhere in my family. One thing passes and one or two things take its place. And some things never go away.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  871
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

I am sorry for your disheartenment sister. It can be very hard to tolerate these things, more so when they come from loved ones.

Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell. For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh. James 3:4-13

:emot-highfive:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  12/07/1951

People are hurtful because of selfishness and pride.

Let's not forget jealousy and fear.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  9

Perhaps your spirit of giving of your time and attention to them will be the example that they see of how Christ works in your life. Pray for them and continue to be kind and patient. You may be setting a wonderful example for these people who seem to be so ungrateful. Bless you for kindnesses you do for your family and others. :)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

Why are people hurtful? Close relatives like grandparents, siblings, step-parents, parents, etc. They talk behind your back and then are totally different when you are present. You help them at any given time, you stop what you are doing put them first and are nice, giving, and patient, and they still treat you like you have done absolutely nothing.

love, sister-in-Christ,

Jane

Because they are yielding to the god of this present world instead of Christ. :) If they are christians (so they say???), it hurts even more. Maybe it would be a good idea if you weren't so available to always help someone out of a crunch......all of us need wisdom in dealing with relatives. Perhaps they don't respect you because you are too nice????? I know of a girl who was fired from her job because they said she was too nice...crazy huh. Being assertive can't hurt anything, but we all need a christlike spirit behind it. Am praying for you.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  503
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Oh Jane, there are so many reasons. The basic answer is that we are fallen people, along with Adam. There is also tough love. A song goes,

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  1,823
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Days Won:  2

Perhaps your spirit of giving of your time and attention to them will be the example that they see of how Christ works in your life. Pray for them and continue to be kind and patient. You may be setting a wonderful example for these people who seem to be so ungrateful. Bless you for kindnesses you do for your family and others. :help:

We are then transformed by becomming disciples of Jesus

Blessing

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.18
  • Days Won:  194

I have grappled with this question much myself. I think what happens is that family members begin to take you for granted. They know you have a long history of being nice to them and so they then 'take advantage of' that. They figure they can always count on your kindness and so they often milk you dry. Till you're drained and exhausted emotionally. This has been my experience.

You are right. It can hurt really bad! I go to God in prayer and cry. For He has the Tenderness that sinful human beings tend to lack, in many cases. How to handle it with them, though is tough. Jesus said we are to turn the other cheek and even love our enemies! I find that these are some of the very hardest commands to obey.

So I pray God will help me forgive them and try to respond as politely as possible, even when they make a mean remark. But if it gets to the place where you are feeling too trampled on and sad, maybe keeping your distance from them for awhile might help. I have done this with various family members. And it does help if you can give yourself a mini vacation and take a breather from them.