• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I find it more significant that Judah made the suggestion to sell Joseph, and then later it was likewise Judah who offered himself for Benjamin.

Maybe Judas himself was a type?

But perhaps I am sensitive to the "Judas" correlation because I am aware of how much Christian theology has used this as justification for persecuting the Jews.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

I find it more significant that Judah made the suggestion to sell Joseph, and then later it was likewise Judah who offered himself for Benjamin.

Maybe Judas himself was a type?

But perhaps I am sensitive to the "Judas" correlation because I am aware of how much Christian theology has used this as justification for persecuting the Jews.

If we can call it Christian. I'm nowhere close to even thinking in that manner.

Well anyway I'll read up on Judah and Benjamin before I ask you to explain further. It would make getting what your trying to say a bit easier. I'm not sure the two actions correlate. But like I said I'll read.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  76
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Jacob and Christ

Jacob=Figure of Christ.

is the link to the Thread.

Copy+Pasted from thread:

____________________________________________________________________________________________

This post has been copied and pasted from my previous post on the in the Eschatology room...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob And Christ

Genesis 32

24And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.

25And when [the man, the angel] saw that he prevailed not against [Jacob], he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.

[Hosea 12:4 indicates that this "man" was an "angel".]

Genesis 32 continued

26And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.

27And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.

28And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.

Now... The Angel did not prevail against Jacob... is this possible?

Ecclesiastes 6:10

That which hath been is named already, and it is known that it is man: neither may he [The Man?] contend with him that is mightier than he.

Angels are "...greater in power and might..." (2 Peter 2:11)

Could Jacob be a figure of Christ?

Christ:

Hebrews 1:4

Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

Yet... Christ was "made a little lower than the angels" Hebrews 2:9

[1 Timothy 3:16 - "...great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory."]

Why did the Angel name Jacob "Israel" ? --- "for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed." Genesis 32:28

Christ: "...a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed."

Christ is the "mediator between God and men" (1 Timothy 2:5)

- Christ prevailed:

Colossians 2:15 "having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it."

(Matthew 27:62-65; 28:6, 1 Corinthians 15:3-8 - Christ "spoiled principalities and powers... He made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.")

Genesis 32 continued

29And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.

30And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

31And as he passed over Penuel the sun rose upon him, and he halted upon his thigh.

32Therefore the children of Israel eat not of the sinew which shrank, which is upon the hollow of the thigh, unto this day: because he touched the hollow of Jacob's thigh in the sinew that shrank.

More on Jacob and Christ (specifically the wife of Jacob and the wife of Christ the Church...)

Hosea 12

12And Jacob fled into the country of Syria, and Israel served for a wife, and for a wife he kept sheep.

[Hebrews 13:20 - Jesus is "...that great shepherd of the sheep"]

- Jacob fled from Esau into "the country of Syria" ... and served for a wife... (which is where your quote [the quote of "wordsower" that is found below] fits in)

- Jacob fleeing from Esau to get the Jews first (Leah) but then The Church (Rachel)...

- Would Jacob fleeing from Esau be a figure of Christ and men? (John 1:1-3; 10-13)

- How that

"the world was made by [Christ], and the world knew him not" (John 1:10)

- However... Jacob kept sheep for a wife (he kept sheep first...) - Did Christ keep sheep first then get his wife?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

The quote that I quoted in the original Post was the following:

Next, he put sandals on his feet. These represent protection and provision. Deut. 33:24,25: And of Asher he said: "Asher is most blessed of sons; Let him be favored by his brothers, and let him dip his foot in oil. Your sandals shall be iron and bronze; As your days, so shall your strength be." Asher was Leah's maid's son by Jacob in Genesis. Leah was Jacob's first wife, but he really wanted to marry Rachel, just as the Gentiles (the church) are Christ's bride even though He chose the jews first.

Also,

Another figure...

- The Jews took on the name of Jacob (Israel - Israelites)

- Christians take on the name of Christ (Acts 11:26, 1 Peter 4:16), Who is the firstborn among many brethren (Romans 8:29).

Now...

Is there any siginificance of:

"[The Angel] touched the hollow of [Jacob's] thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him." - Genesis 32:25 ?

Could this be a figure of Christ's side being pierced (John 19:34)?

____________________________________________________________________________________

Hebrews 1:4

[Christ] Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

Christ has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than the angels...

Hmmm....

What is that "name" that is more excellent than the angels?

Luke 2:21

And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

Philippians 2 describes that "name" that is more excellent than the angels...

Philippians 2

6[Jesus], being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Verse 10 indicates "things in heaven" should bow at the name of Jesus...

______________________________________________________________________________________

More on Jacob and Christ (specifically the wife of Jacob and the wife of Christ the Church...)

Hosea 12

12And Jacob fled into the country of Syria, and Israel served for a wife, and for a wife he kept sheep.

[Hebrews 13:20 - Jesus is "...that great shepherd of the sheep"]

- Jacob fled from Esau into "the country of Syria" ... and served for a wife... (which is where your quote [the quote of "wordsower" that is found below] fits in)

- Jacob fleeing from Esau to get the Jews first (Leah) but then The Church (Rachel)...

- Would Jacob fleeing from Esau be a figure of Christ and men? (John 1:1-3; 10-13)

- How that

"the world was made by [Christ], and the world knew him not" (John 1:10)

- However... Jacob kept sheep for a wife (he kept sheep first...) - Did Christ keep sheep first then get his wife?

What time did the church become the bride of Christ?

When The Holy Ghost was given?

Mark 6:34

And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things.

John 7

38He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

39(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

40Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet.

Edited by Ephesians__6_24

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Very interesting and informative thread! :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  03/23/1963

2 types in 1 Samuel 25:14-44

Its ice-cream!

Here God displays his glorious creativity and symbolism in a story of events. He puts the story together so that the construction in and of itself is symbolic, a type and an antitype. Like presenting us a bowl of ice cream half vanilla and half chocolate.

Let’s read it together. Are there any types here? Any anti-types?

1 Abigail type of Christ and David type of man:

a) v. 19 she sends her servants ahead of her.

i. To prepare the way.

ii. She is coming after them

b) v. 20 She saw him first

c) v. 23 She rode on a donkey

d) v. 23,24 She goes to him first

e) v. 24 she speaks first

f) v. 24 She came as a servant

g) v. 24 She offered herself up when she was innocent. “On me let this iniquity be!” Later she claims her innocence by saying she “did not see” v. 25. Jesus was innocent and has not seen sin of himself.

h) v. 37 The word cuts to the heart and bone (Heb 4:12-13), even when it is stone!

i) v. 41 She washed the [disciples] messengers feet

2 David as type of Christ and Abigail type of man:

a) V. 14 She was witnessed too.

b) V. 18 She bore fruit

c) V. 19 Like some of us she realizes her impending doom and searches for her redeemer and judge.

d) V. 28 She asks for forgiveness “Please forgive the trespass of your maidservant.”

e) V. 28-31 Knowledge of what to do and what is, comes from God. Even though a person may mix their own works in. Obedience to the Word teaches. “He has spoken concerning you, and has appointed you iruler over Israel,”

f) V. 35 Whole household is saved from the judge (David).

g) V. 35 David cared about her heart, not the gifts.

h) V. 37 Abigail is a witness and follows the great commission. (Acts 1:8, Matt. 28:19-20)

i) V. 42 She followed the messengers (prophets of truth)

j) V. 42 She was married, the old is dead and gone! (Rom. 6:2-8, II Cor 5:17)

Abigail used words with intelligence. Indication of inspired knowledge about David. She used a play on words to either see David's reaction or for poetry. "…He shall sling out, as from the pocket of a sling"

Edited by fixxser

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Ayin, you say that one should not go crazy with types. Who decides what is and what is not a type in the bible? Who draws the line of when to quit?

Gary

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Content Count:  140
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

http://www.confidentfaith.net/moses-and-jesus-devine-similarities

This is a good example of typology

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I love the types of the blood sacrifice all through scripture. It starts when God provided animal skins for Adam and Eve. But the more explicit one is when Able's sacrifice was accepted because he gave the FIRSTBORN of his flock of SHEEP. It is such a picture of God giving His only begotten Son, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. Of course there are many others. But that is the earliest that is so pointing to Christ. Without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins. So the Hebrews understood this very well in giving their prescribed sacrifices. Heb. 9:;22 And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission (forgiveness). NKJV.

Of course, the Passover Lamb also continues to unfold the picture. I understand that the lamb had to be perfect. Then the tradition was to bring it into the home so that they became attached to the cute little thing, bouncing around the house's courtyard. That way the kids understood how much it cost Father God to allow His Son to be sacrificed on the Cross for our sins.. It would be like sacrificing our favorite dog or cat! Much less our first born son. God's love is so amazing, that He would reach out to mankind over the centuries in such ways so that we might recognize that Christ came to die for us.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1

Ayin, you say that one should not go crazy with types. Who decides what is and what is not a type in the bible? Who draws the line of when to quit?

Gary

Hi gdemoss! I am a newbie here but, not to many other forums. I like your question. It is a good one and needs to be extemded to include a lot of other thinking [reading of scritures]  that if done with God given insight, a broaded picture of not only salvation but, importantly, the gospel of the kingdom of God can be seen for our profit. Quoting the famous saying: "First the natural and the spiritual", covers a lot of territory in the scheme of all things Jesus Christ. There are several overlooked examples in scripture that have brought great definition to my thinking. The line garment mentioned Ezek 44 as a type of Holy Spirit comes easily to mind. . . :)

Edited by Cross Reference