IGNORED

Food Stamps

MorningGlory

What's your view on food stamp recipients?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should food stamps be reserved for...

• The elderly or disabled.
    • The elderly, disabled, unemployed and single parents with children under 10.
    • Anyone making less than twice the Federal poverty level of income.
    • American citizens and legal residents.
    • No reservations...anyone who wants them should get them.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/25/1963

It's the same here, Nyoka; lots of people find ways to cash in on what's supposed to be nutrition assistance. I know families that have been receiving this type of aid since the 70s. It's disgusting when it becomes a lifestyle.

It is so sad to see when people rely on food assistance as a way of life or as a "right". My husband and I are on a welfare benefit due to ill health and we see this often. The few times my husband and I have tried to get a food grant we get told we should have been able to save to cover this so we aren't eligible - the other one we get told is "you have a payday soon so you can survive until then." Yet I see many get it and spend it on smokes, alcohol, etc even though it isn't supposed to be for those things.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.19
  • Days Won:  115

Where I live, you can get a free supper every night but Sunday, all within 5 miles from home; 3 food banks; assistance with rent, electricity and heat; a few churches that help in emergencies.

What the article does not provide is the comparison of the cost of living to the average wage. Hawaii is the most expensive state to live in, which would account for the high ceiling of stamps. Since the article is about Hawaii, here are the stats on the state:

• General Cost of Living Stats for Hawaii
  • Median Housing income- $84,000
  • Average home- $500,000
  • Electricity- 16.73 kwh
  • Gasoline- $3.00 per gallon
  • Gasoline Tax-$31.8 per gallon
  • Diesel Fuel Tax- $41.5
  • Sales Tax- %4
  • Cigarette Tax- $1.60 per pack
  • Income Tax- 1.4% -8.5%

It seems that the median income and the average house cost may indeed require assistance for those that would be considered "rich" in states where the averages are fare lower.

In 2008, this is the top 10 list comparison for states:

Top 10 States With The Lowest Cost of Living.............Top 10 States With The Highest Cost of Living

1. Oklahoma.........................................................1.Hawaii

2.Texas...............................................................2.California

3.Tennessee.........................................................3.Washington D.C

4.Texas...............................................................4.New Jersey

5.Nebraska.......................................................... 5.Alaska

6.South Dakota......................................................6.Maryland

7.Missouri.............................................................7.New York

8.Kansas..............................................................8.Rhode Island

9.Georgia..............................................................9.Connecticut

10.Mississippi.........................................................10.Vermont

You can check to see just how many people are using assistance today, by state, and the increase since the election, here.

I am neither advocating for higher ceilings nor am I saying it is wrong. I am just investigating the issue. Just some food for thought ...

• Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.98
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Where I live, you can get a free supper every night but Sunday, all within 5 miles from home; 3 food banks; assistance with rent, electricity and heat; a few churches that help in emergencies.

What the article does not provide is the comparison of the cost of living to the average wage. Hawaii is the most expensive state to live in, which would account for the high ceiling of stamps. Since the article is about Hawaii, here are the stats on the state:

• Average home- $500,000
  • Electricity- 16.73 kwh
  • Diesel Fuel Tax- $41.5
  • Sales Tax- %4
  • Income Tax- 1.4% -8.5%

It seems that the median income and the average house cost may indeed require assistance for those that would be considered "rich" in states where the averages are fare lower.

Top 10 States With The Lowest Cost of Living.............Top 10 States With The Highest Cost of Living

2.Texas...............................................................2.California

3.Tennessee.........................................................3.Washington D.C

4.Texas...............................................................4.New Jersey

7.Missouri.............................................................7.New York

8.Kansas..............................................................8.Rhode Island

9.Georgia..............................................................9.Connecticut

10.Mississippi.........................................................10.Vermont

You can check to see just how many people are using assistance today, by state, and the increase since the election, here.

I am neither advocating for higher ceilings nor am I saying it is wrong. I am just investigating the issue. Just some food for thought ...

• Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.98
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

unashamed bump...

Cause I am really interested in the answers to my questions

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  600
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,417
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

unashamed bump...

Cause I am really interested in the answers to my questions

Fez,, Jeep Crand Cherokee's run from $30,000 to $50,000 here depending on what assessories you get with it. The Wrangler seems to be a little less.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.19
  • Days Won:  115

They don't sell your SUV here. You can check out prices in the US by going here - Kelley's Blue Book.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.06
  • Days Won:  78

• Average home- $500,000
  • Electricity- 16.73 kwh
  • Diesel Fuel Tax- $41.5
  • Sales Tax- %4
  • Income Tax- 1.4% -8.5%